Cop Block/Cop Watch... Thoughts?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Cop Block/Cop Watch... Thoughts?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Default Cop Block/Cop Watch... Thoughts?

Having recently begun the activity of "open carry" after 17 years of daily CC...I went looking for LEO encounters on You Tube... just to get an idea of the varying reactions in the different jurisdictions around the Country.

I've seen everything from what I'll call the "Make you Famous" activists out looking for an LEO response... to people who OC because it's not legal for them to CC... and carrying a camera to protect themselves and assert there rights.

Some of them were talking about "Cop Block" which appears to be an organization started down in Berkley CA... when a bunch of college kids decided that the areas homeless population needed protection from LEO abuse and started following officers around with Cameras.

After hearing stories like last week's episode where 8 CA Cops seem to have "knight sticked" a drunk man to death... then confiscated civilian phones with video evidence... I'm thinking citizen cameras on Police Officers, in public, is probably a pretty damn good idea.

What say you...

Tack

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I don't see it being necessary myself...

And if they're dealing out some "street justice" to people who open-carry in cosmoplitan areas to make a pointless point, I'm on the police's side, as I usually am, despite their highschool-dropout God complexes.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3057 Times on 1770 Posts
Likes Given: 1898

Sunshine kills mold and mildew, along with many other blights.

Let the sun shine!

People Like This 
Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I don't see it being necessary myself...

And if they're dealing out some "street justice" to people who open-carry in cosmoplitan areas to make a pointless point, I'm on the police's side, as I usually am, despite their highschool-dropout God complexes.
Wow... hope you never find yourself on the wrong end of that "street justice"...

Tack
Old 05-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2947 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

As every patrol car has a camera, my Deputies are used to being on camera. 9999 times out of 10,000 the video exonerates the officer. I do not fear the civilians with I phones. They can, however, get a bit pushy to "get closeups". If we have to go hands on with someone, it is a potentially dangerous situation. We have a responsibility to keep the bystanders and ameteur videographers safe.

Keep a safe distance and vieo to your heart's content

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
As every patrol car has a camera, my Deputies are used to being on camera. 9999 times out of 10,000 the video exonerates the officer. I do not fear the civilians with I phones. They can, however, get a bit pushy to "get closeups". If we have to go hands on with someone, it is a potentially dangerous situation. We have a responsibility to keep the bystanders and ameteur videographers safe.

Keep a safe distance and vieo to your heart's content
I hear you... and I'm certain dash cam video protects Cops from bogus citizen complaints every day.

Personally... this activity is not for me... Hell, I work 50 hours a week and chase 4 kids... Well, 3 now, since the oldest is 21 and on his own.

Tack

Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3059 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I would not have a problem IF...

the full episode was caught on tape. For someone to come in at the wrong time and start recording at the wrong time could give the incorrect perception of the situation.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9398 Times on 4050 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Taking video- from enough distance that you are not interferring with the officer- no problem for me.

For the person that THINKS they are an attorney and wants to become PART of the discussion/ interaction- that person may not know as much law as they THINK they know- and may be about to learn about interferring and obstruction charges.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If I was an LEO, I would have a tie cam, a pistol cam, and a back-of-hat cam to keep myself covered in the event of a lawsuit.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 05-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If I was an LEO, I would have a tie cam, a pistol cam, and a back-of-hat cam to keep myself covered in the event of a lawsuit.
Don't forget the "zipper cam"... we know how you are with them "cute" bears.

Tack

Closed Thread