Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Cop Block/Cop Watch... Thoughts? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/cop-block-cop-watch-thoughts-90841/)

Tackleberry1 05-17-2013 07:45 PM

Cop Block/Cop Watch... Thoughts?
 
Having recently begun the activity of "open carry" after 17 years of daily CC...I went looking for LEO encounters on You Tube... just to get an idea of the varying reactions in the different jurisdictions around the Country.

I've seen everything from what I'll call the "Make you Famous" activists out looking for an LEO response... to people who OC because it's not legal for them to CC... and carrying a camera to protect themselves and assert there rights.

Some of them were talking about "Cop Block" which appears to be an organization started down in Berkley CA... when a bunch of college kids decided that the areas homeless population needed protection from LEO abuse and started following officers around with Cameras.

After hearing stories like last week's episode where 8 CA Cops seem to have "knight sticked" a drunk man to death... then confiscated civilian phones with video evidence... I'm thinking citizen cameras on Police Officers, in public, is probably a pretty damn good idea.

What say you...

Tack

HockaLouis 05-17-2013 07:53 PM

I don't see it being necessary myself...

And if they're dealing out some "street justice" to people who open-carry in cosmoplitan areas to make a pointless point, I'm on the police's side, as I usually am, despite their highschool-dropout God complexes.

eatmydust 05-17-2013 08:04 PM

Sunshine kills mold and mildew, along with many other blights.

Let the sun shine!

Tackleberry1 05-17-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1249867)
I don't see it being necessary myself...

And if they're dealing out some "street justice" to people who open-carry in cosmoplitan areas to make a pointless point, I'm on the police's side, as I usually am, despite their highschool-dropout God complexes.

Wow... hope you never find yourself on the wrong end of that "street justice"...

Tack

robocop10mm 05-17-2013 08:07 PM

As every patrol car has a camera, my Deputies are used to being on camera. 9999 times out of 10,000 the video exonerates the officer. I do not fear the civilians with I phones. They can, however, get a bit pushy to "get closeups". If we have to go hands on with someone, it is a potentially dangerous situation. We have a responsibility to keep the bystanders and ameteur videographers safe.

Keep a safe distance and vieo to your heart's content

Tackleberry1 05-17-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1249887)
As every patrol car has a camera, my Deputies are used to being on camera. 9999 times out of 10,000 the video exonerates the officer. I do not fear the civilians with I phones. They can, however, get a bit pushy to "get closeups". If we have to go hands on with someone, it is a potentially dangerous situation. We have a responsibility to keep the bystanders and ameteur videographers safe.

Keep a safe distance and vieo to your heart's content

I hear you... and I'm certain dash cam video protects Cops from bogus citizen complaints every day.

Personally... this activity is not for me... Hell, I work 50 hours a week and chase 4 kids...:eek: Well, 3 now, since the oldest is 21 and on his own. ;)

Tack

danf_fl 05-17-2013 08:27 PM

I would not have a problem IF...

the full episode was caught on tape. For someone to come in at the wrong time and start recording at the wrong time could give the incorrect perception of the situation.

c3shooter 05-17-2013 08:31 PM

Taking video- from enough distance that you are not interferring with the officer- no problem for me.

For the person that THINKS they are an attorney and wants to become PART of the discussion/ interaction- that person may not know as much law as they THINK they know- and may be about to learn about interferring and obstruction charges.

orangello 05-17-2013 08:36 PM

If I was an LEO, I would have a tie cam, a pistol cam, and a back-of-hat cam to keep myself covered in the event of a lawsuit.

Tackleberry1 05-17-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1249917)
If I was an LEO, I would have a tie cam, a pistol cam, and a back-of-hat cam to keep myself covered in the event of a lawsuit.

Don't forget the "zipper cam"... we know how you are with them "cute" bears. ;)

Tack


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.