Convicted felon and guns - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Convicted felon and guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

No,I'm not a felon,but a family member(not BLOOD RELATED) is.
My dad and I have been shooting together and other members of the family have shown interest.
Some we would welcome and have already talked about inviting,word got out to the not so welcome and he told my dad all he needed was a letter from his PO to be allowed to shoot.
I told him he wasn't shooting with me even if his PO was there in person.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:41 AM   #12

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing View Post
No,I'm not a felon,but a family member(not BLOOD RELATED) is.
My dad and I have been shooting together and other members of the family have shown interest.
Some we would welcome and have already talked about inviting,word got out to the not so welcome and he told my dad all he needed was a letter from his PO to be allowed to shoot.
I told him he wasn't shooting with me even if his PO was there in person.
If he is a convicted felon and on parole or probation there is no note in the world from his parole / probation officer or god himself that will allow him to even be in close vicinity of a firearm. Don't let this guy con your family members or friends with a "note" that he can. Any note he produces will be something he forged himself or had forged.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9171 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Until a COURT has granted relief from disabilities, or the governor has restored his civil rights, SPECIFICALLY including right to own a firearm, it is gone. SOME states (Georgia is one) have a tighter restriction than the Feds, and will not permit a convicted felon to possess a muzzleloader. BTW, for those that CAN possess a muzzleloader, it better be a percussion cap or flintlock type. Felons may not possess ammunition- and the 209 primer is considered ammo.

And yes, I have a stepbrother, that as a result of a youthful indiscretion, is a great bow hunter.

Gents, this is a serious legal matter- and I never passed the bar (always stopped off for a beer, never passed ) and anyone that asks ME for legal advice needs their head examined. This is one that needs a REAL lawyer that practices in THIS FIELD. Penalty for being wrong is 5 years of playing Rock Hockey at a Federal Pen. No probation, no parole, no concurrent sentence thing.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How many believe this is a violation of the second amendment as read by the constitution. I think it is a total violation of the 2nd,but I believe some should not own weapons.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #15

Liked 1173 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinginn View Post
How many believe this is a violation of the second amendment as read by the constitution. I think it is a total violation of the 2nd,but I believe some should not own weapons.
I think with all my internet lawyer knowledge (read as, worthless opinion) that this is totally the mentality that allowed gun law restrictions in the first place. The constitution did not name any exceptions to the 2A, therefore anyone of any age pretty much can and should be able to own "arms". Logic permits that the minority of society who has proven they are not trustworthy should not own arms but the founders did not specifically include that in 2A, although they may have in another section, I don't pretend to be an expert, I am always learning more about our founders and the constitution.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, unlike C3, I did pass the bar once. It was not well lit, so I had to turn around and go back.

The Founding Fathers believed in Liberty and Freedom. However, a simple review of history would show that they did not believe in universal rights to all citizens. Women's sufferage is the greatest example (why did they screw that up? - just kidding). Jefferson believed that only land-owning males should be allowed to vote (maybe we should re-think that one too!).

So it is not hard to believe that the Founding Fathers would have agreed that persons convicted of serious crimes should not have the full benefits of other citizens.

TXnorton

Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2189 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 3328

Twice in my lifetime I have had to defend my family and myself from home invaders. The scumbags had felony records and they had guns. I think it is a good thing that felons are not allowed to own guns: They get no sympathy from me.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #18

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I knew a guy that killed a man with his vehicle due to DUI. He was in jail for 5 years for Man Slaughter. It has been 2 years since he was released from prison. He can drive now, owns a car. but can't own a gun. Never had a problem with a gun it was a beer and car. Why can he drive but not shoot? I think thats STUPID!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I personally know of one man who managed to get a felony conviction for involuntary manslaughter (a civilian self defense shooting). His sentence was time served and years (I don't remember how many) of probation. During the probation time he switched to black powder revolvers and shotguns. It was legal within the letter of the law (but maybe not the spirit). Laws change and are different from state to state, talk to a lawyer in your area for current laws.
As a footnote, it took him many more years and dollars. but he finally got a pardon and now is a CCW again.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Last edited by Flint Rock; 11-21-2009 at 06:10 PM.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Getting your record expunged may satisfy state requirement to restore your 2A rights, however you record is NEVER clear in the feds database. You can still be charged federally.