Convicted felon and guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Convicted felon and guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Convicted felon and guns

Is there any way a person convicted of a felony to legally possess a firearm or are they just banned from ownershp?
I was under the impression that they were not to be around guns period.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing View Post
Is there any way a person convicted of a felony to legally possess a firearm or are they just banned from ownership?
I was under the impression that they were not to be around guns period.
Indeed. You already have the answer to your own question.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 AM   #4

There are some things that a felon can do to get their 2A rights back. But it costs a lot of money, with a high failure rate. Best advise is to talk to an attorney.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Are you a felon?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #6

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Im not a felon but i lost my right to possess a firearm for about 3 yrs for violating a court order. I had to hire a lawyer and get my case dismissed under penal code 1835 which is a total dismissal . For the three yrs I could not possess firearms I discovered black powder firearms because on a federal level i could legally own a black powder pistol because the feds do not consider them fire arms. On a state level I probabley would have been screwed but I was not about to live in my house without some kind of weapon available. I now own about a dozen modern day firearms but my black powder pistol is still my favorite.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #7

You can petition the court for a "relief of disabilities". If approved, you get your 2nd rights back.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #8

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

alot depends on your charges if there is no violence charges then normally after five or so years you can petition the judge who originally convicted you. my brother is in the process right now out of arizona.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #9

I don't know about other states, but here in Texas you can own a flintlock replica, just like the muskets in the old, old days. I believe Traditions makes some that you can put together your self for only about $200-400 and they are supposed to be fairly simple for the average person to do, as long as you know how to stain wood and read instructions.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #10

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The only person I know who got his record expunged through the courts with an attorney is a older gent (64 Y.O. now) who had a felony DUI 18 to 20 years ago. He was never in trouble before his DUI conviction and has not been in any trouble since; not even a parking ticket. It took him almost a year and a half and a fair amount of money on his part for attorney fees and court costs. His record was expunged and he could finally have his hunting rifles back that his son kept all this time. He then went to purchase a new handgun and there was a hang up or delay for about 6 months before his DROS form background check was approved for purchase. I'm not sure exactly what he went through to get cleared to purchase this pistol but I do know it was frustrating for him. He hunts now in California and Colarado and he figures in another 5 to 6 years from now he will give / transfer his firearms back to his son as he has the onset of arthuritis and it's getting more and more difficult for him every year to get out and hunt with his friends.