Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Legal and Activism (
-   -   Convicted felon and guns (

flyingbrickracing 11-20-2009 01:24 AM

Convicted felon and guns
Is there any way a person convicted of a felony to legally possess a firearm or are they just banned from ownershp?
I was under the impression that they were not to be around guns period.

IGETEVEN 11-20-2009 04:36 AM


Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing (Post 188388)
Is there any way a person convicted of a felony to legally possess a firearm or are they just banned from ownership?
I was under the impression that they were not to be around guns period.

Indeed. You already have the answer to your own question. ;)


canebrake 11-20-2009 05:11 AM

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!

Shooter girl 11-20-2009 05:32 AM

There are some things that a felon can do to get their 2A rights back. But it costs a lot of money, with a high failure rate. Best advise is to talk to an attorney.

spittinfire 11-20-2009 09:44 AM

Are you a felon?

tiberius10721 11-20-2009 09:00 PM

Im not a felon but i lost my right to possess a firearm for about 3 yrs for violating a court order. I had to hire a lawyer and get my case dismissed under penal code 1835 which is a total dismissal . For the three yrs I could not possess firearms I discovered black powder firearms because on a federal level i could legally own a black powder pistol because the feds do not consider them fire arms. On a state level I probabley would have been screwed but I was not about to live in my house without some kind of weapon available. I now own about a dozen modern day firearms but my black powder pistol is still my favorite.

.22hustler 11-20-2009 10:04 PM

You can petition the court for a "relief of disabilities". If approved, you get your 2nd rights back.

rifleman1 11-20-2009 10:18 PM

alot depends on your charges if there is no violence charges then normally after five or so years you can petition the judge who originally convicted you. my brother is in the process right now out of arizona.

Hey-you-guys 11-20-2009 10:33 PM

I don't know about other states, but here in Texas you can own a flintlock replica, just like the muskets in the old, old days. I believe Traditions makes some that you can put together your self for only about $200-400 and they are supposed to be fairly simple for the average person to do, as long as you know how to stain wood and read instructions.

mrm14 11-20-2009 10:41 PM

The only person I know who got his record expunged through the courts with an attorney is a older gent (64 Y.O. now) who had a felony DUI 18 to 20 years ago. He was never in trouble before his DUI conviction and has not been in any trouble since; not even a parking ticket. It took him almost a year and a half and a fair amount of money on his part for attorney fees and court costs. His record was expunged and he could finally have his hunting rifles back that his son kept all this time. He then went to purchase a new handgun and there was a hang up or delay for about 6 months before his DROS form background check was approved for purchase. I'm not sure exactly what he went through to get cleared to purchase this pistol but I do know it was frustrating for him. He hunts now in California and Colarado and he figures in another 5 to 6 years from now he will give / transfer his firearms back to his son as he has the onset of arthuritis and it's getting more and more difficult for him every year to get out and hunt with his friends.

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:07 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.