Connecticut schools
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Connecticut schools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

Default Connecticut schools

So I just posted this because I thought it proves more and more that the liberals have no clue how to solve mass shooting problems in schools. I can't give too much info because I don't want to have a backlash on me or my company. Just speaking from observations I made today. My company is working on a town project for a municipality in Connecticut. We are doing work on quite a few schools in the area. I had to do some walk through assessments today and it made me think how ****ty it is that we've done nothing for children's safety. All the liberals are doing is taking rights away without protecting children. I walked into every single school today, unannounced besides a brief email. No one greeted me at the door, there was no security, and not one school had to "buzz me in." Had I been a criminal, I could have easily walked right in and done something awful. It was sad and it made me sick to my stomach that the kids are still 100% defenseless against evil people who want to cause them harm. The majority of the staff barely glanced at me until I stopped in the administration offices. Most doors were unlocked and the only security measure was a buzzer that sounded in the office to say which door had been opened. The democrats have no clue how to keep our children safe, and after seeing no security measures at schools in a town close to Newtown....I don't believe they care. Seeing the elementary school kids so defenseless made me literally sick to my stomach. As a parent, I would have been glad to be staring at an armed security guard upon entering those schools.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
...how ****ty it is that we've done nothing for children's safety. All the liberals are doing is taking rights away without protecting children...
My daughter is an elementary school teacher in Connecticut and, when I asked her what the procedures were in a lock-down situation she said they march the kids to the back of the classroom and lock the doors. When I asked if there were any armed employees for defense in case of a Columbine High School like scenario she said you can’t posses a firearm in a school zone. That conversation was in September, three months before the Sandy Hook School shootings. Nothing has changed to enhance school security since December.

Unfortunately, the recent flurry of new laws enacted by politicians seeking photo oppertunities over meaningful effective legislation do nothing to prevent another Sandy Hook School like incident from occurring in the future. Those new laws do however impose stricter restrictions on law abiding citizens' Second Amendment rights. It makes me wonder if the politicians have any true interest in school security or if their only concern is in using the tragedy as an opportunity to drive their political ideology of restrictive gun laws.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

Old 04-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #3

I agree 100% with you. It's sickening. More people like us should be speaking up. So what do they do after they pass all these laws and another tragedy happens again? *shaking my head*

Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #4

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I don't feel safe at my school and may not be able to bring any actual weapons but I refuse to be corralled to the back of the room and I got my keys and a pen 2 makeshift weapons.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #5

I don't, nor would anyone on this forum, advise you to have confidence in a pen or a set of keys as a weapon. If you are still in school you must be young. I think the best thing you can do for yourself is mentally prepare for a bad situation. Realize that concealment is different than hard cover. Concealment may hide you, but in the event of a shooting, you're going to want to be behind something able to stop, or at least slow down a bullet. Be aware of how your school is laid out in the event you need to escape. Many people have died trying to be a hero. If you have a way out, then get out and alert others to what is happening so they can escape too. It's unfortunate that most schools do not have armed guards. But, until they do, just rehearse in your mind the quickest and safest way to exit the area. Pull a fire alarm too if you can't get to a phone. The police usually show up with the fire trucks and, if they don't already know, you can inform them there is an active shooter. I hope you or anyone you know never has to be involved in a school tragedy. But since you can't have a means of defending yourself, like I said, I would focus on your best plan of escape. Breaking an ankle jumping out a second story window is much better than being shot. Stay safe.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
I don't feel safe at my school and may not be able to bring any actual weapons but I refuse to be corralled to the back of the room and I got my keys and a pen 2 makeshift weapons.
I wonder, where do they keep your sports equipment? are you allowed to bring your own pepper sauce? have you considered carrying some of those ketchup packets to simulate a grave injury to help you look less fun to shoot?

But seriously, have you considered a bullet-resistant backpack or vest or even home schooling? If your keys are all you have, practice using them (carefully).

Good luck! I carried a knife every day I went to school, usually just for whittling though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 413 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
I would have been glad to be staring at an armed security guard upon entering those schools.
Where would these security men come from.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Where would these security men come from.
The same places the ones at most of the schools in my state come from. The local police force and private security contractors. Nearly every school in my state has either an armed resource officer (local police) or private security.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

I wonder, where do they keep your sports equipment? are you allowed to bring your own pepper sauce? have you considered carrying some of those ketchup packets to simulate a grave injury to help you look less fun to shoot?

But seriously, have you considered a bullet-resistant backpack or vest or even home schooling? If your keys are all you have, practice using them (carefully).

Good luck! I carried a knife every day I went to school, usually just for whittling though.
You definetly cannot carry a knife into a school nowadays. And how is using ketchup packets to simulate a grave injury, BEFORE being actually shot, a good idea? Remember, at columbine, the shooters methodically killed students who were already injured and begging for their life. I'll agree with you on one point though. There are companies now that make backpacks out of Kevlar with a pocket that holds a ballistic plate.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 413 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
The same places the ones at most of the schools in my state come from. The local police force and private security contractors. Nearly every school in my state has either an armed resource officer (local police) or private security
I didn't know they had police on full time guard in some schools in America. Who vets the private security personal. ?

Last edited by manta; 04-12-2013 at 10:25 PM.