Conn. school shooting - Page 68
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Conn. school shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #671
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2146 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Maybe we should just ban Democrats, Liberals, Progressives
and Statists from owning any type of firearm?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2979724/posts
I like that, good plan.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #672

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
One of the big outcomes of each shooting tragedy is a call to limit the size of magazines. What do they think is accomplished by limiting the size of magazines?

Is it the idea that the shooter will have to spend more on the magazines and will therefore have fewer of them?

Is it the idea that the shooter will have to change magazines more frequently and may become vulnerable during the changes?

Is it the idea that the shooter will have more weight to carry for the same amount of ammo?

I don't ask because I think any of these ideas are valid, in fact I think none of these ideas are valid. I ask because knowing the purpose behind an action allows me to make a rational response when discussing the subject.
the idea behind the magazine capacity limit is that if you accept 7 now ... next time it will be 5 If you accept 5 ... next time it will be 3 If you accept 3 ... next time it will be 1 The gun control agenda has no other reason for insisting on magazine capacity than to reduce the effectiveness of resistance to single shot rifles What is more likely to happen ... a group of 300 armed citizens resisting tyranny or 1 person with (10) 30rd mags?

Another factor for the 7 limit right now is that it will not affect bird hunting ... 7rds in a shotgun. I have already heard half a dozen duck hunters from NY say "I don't care, the new law doesn't affect me" since Cuomo signed the new law on Tuesday. Politicians know that if they were to come out and require 5rd limits, or 3rd limits or a 1rd limit that the number of gun owners pushing back would be four fold what it is now

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #673
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3338 Times on 2017 Posts
Likes Given: 3183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
The story is they grabbed the guy is Arizona who shot the congress women when he was changing mags.
OK, thanks for that. By the way, that shooting was the only shooting I know of that occurred someplace other than a gun-free zone. Does anyone know of other shootings outside of GFZs?

So "more frequent reloading = more vulnerability to resistance" is a possible rationale for reducing magazine sizes. Resistance presumes the ability of the people at the point of the attack to resist. School shootings, especially grade school shootings, occur in places where most of the people at the point of the attack are children! The small number of adults in the vicinity are the natural first targets. The resistance by bystanders during reloading was possible in the Arizona incident because there were a substantial number of physically capable people in the vicinity.

Resistance during reloads cannot be provided by adults outside the classroom who are physically remote from the shooter unless those adults outside the classroom are ARMED! A thorough post-mortem of most shooting incidents (and this Conn. school shooting in particular) would probably conclude that one way to reduce casualties would be to allow responsible adults in the vicinity to be armed.

I'm not saying this post or even this entire thread is in any way a thorough post-mortem, just saying that such a study should be performed. And, in my opinion, that study should not conclude that reducing magazine size was the only corrective action. One of the other corrective actions should be allowing responsible adults in a school to be armed.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #674
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
the idea behind the magazine capacity limit is that if you accept 7 now ... next time it will be 5 If you accept 5 ... next time it will be 3 If you accept 3 ... next time it will be 1 The gun control agenda has no other reason for insisting on magazine capacity than to reduce the effectiveness of resistance to single shot rifles What is more likely to happen ... a group of 300 armed citizens resisting tyranny or 1 person with (10) 30rd mags?

Another factor for the 7 limit right now is that it will not affect bird hunting ... 7rds in a shotgun. I have already heard half a dozen duck hunters from NY say "I don't care, the new law doesn't affect me" since Cuomo signed the new law on Tuesday. Politicians know that if they were to come out and require 5rd limits, or 3rd limits or a 1rd limit that the number of gun owners pushing back would be four fold what it is now
I agree that sequence of events is more likely the real reason behind the magazine limits. Forcing the gun grabber to admit to that ignoble reason is possible only after being able to refute their other "reasons".
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #675

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post

Also the idea in handguns is the revolver and not the devil semiauto

Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #676

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=315

My next revolver if they want to play that game...lol.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #677
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Here's a strange twist for ya!

http://news.yahoo.com/fontana-calif-schools-high-powered-rifles-184934771.html

Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #678

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Yeah, cause students, teachers, and mothers make excellent security consultants.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #679

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Wow is all I can say.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #680

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
That is an excellent pro-2A movement, a professional police force felt
they needed a semi-automatic rifle to properly defend children in school.

So you can easily make the arguement that civilians need the same type
of rifle to defend our family, home and property.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

People Like This