Conn. school shooting - Page 65
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Conn. school shooting

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #641
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
I think it's important to recognize that guns have incredible symbology both positive and negative. And since we can't put the genie back in the bottle, it is imperative that we attempt to maximize the positive and minimize the negative.

Currently, in this country, a wedge has been driven between the two. We're squabbling about non-issues that have little to no real world impact and both sides are in an uproar about it. I think if we set aside philosophy were sensible we'd recognize that the two biggest problems we face today with crime is a lack of enforcement of current legislation and a growing irresponsibility about the health of our society. If we could get people to take responsibility for their own kids, their own education, their own mental health instead of worrying about what our neighbor thinks or how the government can "fix it", the lack of enforcement wouldn't even really be an issue. And passing more laws certainly won't do a bit of good if we don't first address this.
I think that a good old fashion butt whooping would solve a lot of the brats issues. The problem is that there are a lot of parents that think spanking is a one size fits all solution. When in turn that is the only thing the government seems to be able to come up with. That approach typically fails.

I do agree with you though, too many people including Pepe LePue of the NRA want to point the finger at anything other than the real issue, which is the people that did it. Not tv, not video games, not guns, but people. I am telling you, mutual combat laws in all states and dueling would go a long ways for a polite society. People would keep their mouth shut if they didn't believe in dying for what they were fighting for. I sort of like the idea. But then again the strong would repress the weak.
__________________
kelzebubba is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #642
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 502
Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Default

What a non USA citizen thinks about gun control means absolutely nothing to me. If others want to trade liberty for the illusion of safety, that is their business. I don't want a government that tells me how to do just about everything and watches every step I take.
Nevermind that London has double the violent crime rate of NYC! Ignorance is bliss!

__________________
msup752 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #643
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,878
Liked 2230 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Default

Deleted several posts that started with a troll-rant. First post trolling is a sure path to getting banned.

__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #644
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wiebelhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belton,Texas
Posts: 970
Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default

As a supporting member in good standing I'd like to vote to ban that troll... he said "I hate guns, they are the weapons of cowards" he has no need or use or purpose in any capacity on these boards then, ban him please, thanks.
__________________

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.


Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 01-13-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Wiebelhaus is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #645
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,586
Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
As a supporting member in good standing I'd like to vote to ban that troll... he said "I hate guns, they are the weapons of cowards" he has no need or use or purpose in any capacity on these boards then, ban him please, thanks.
Thanks Weibelhaus. It appears that the offending post has been deleted, as was my not-so-complimentary reply to him. As you say, if he's a radical gun-hater he is on the wrong forum.
Have a good day.
__________________
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #646
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wiebelhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belton,Texas
Posts: 970
Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Thanks Weibelhaus. It appears that the offending post has been deleted, as was my not-so-complimentary reply to him. As you say, if he's a radical gun-hater he is on the wrong forum.
Have a good day.
Thank you.
__________________

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Wiebelhaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #647
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,586
Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Deleted several posts that started with a troll-rant. First post trolling is a sure path to getting banned.
Thank you, sir. We have enough of that stuff to deal with on the daily news. Thanks for doing your part to keep this forum a place for people who are interested in guns to enjoy.
__________________
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
tCan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #648
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Daoust_Nat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando,Florida
Posts: 2,122
Liked 1245 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Default

I have to admit, I was a tad incensed about that post, and did not get a change to reply. Probably better that way.

__________________

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Daoust_Nat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #649
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
In the hands of citizens, the primary use of guns is to procure food. The secondary, but more important, use would be self-defense against both criminals and government - (if you can draw a distinction )
To procure food, is to kill. Even though it is an animal, you have to kill it. As self defense, pulling one out and waving it around isn't it's purpose. It is to maim or destroy the offender you are defending against.

Someone else mentioned going to a range. I guess practicing on a silhouette target isn't maiming anything but the target, but it is still practicing within the confines of making sure you are able to kill, maim, or destroy whatever you are shooting at. (Technically speaking you do destroy a paper target).

Anyone who argues that guns are not tools of destruction is foolish. When that bullet hits anything, it tends to hurt, destroy, kill, or maim whatever it hits. It does not create fluffy clouds and unicorns puking rainbows.

Grant it sometimes what it hits deserves it. But I do find that guns are typically the cowards weapon of choice. I remember being pistol whipped by a former room mate when I found out he was not spending the rent money on rent. Reason he pistol whipped me, because if a fist fight he would have lost despite being bigger than me. He was a coward.

Of course if they do ban guns, or just "assault weapons", I think the destruction and loss of life will only increase. IEDs and other home made explosives are easy to make and easy to conceal. Once the guns are gone from all of us, the crazies will come out of the woodwork in droves. We will know what it is like in Israel. So I do not wish to see that.
__________________
kelzebubba is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #650
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,878
Liked 2230 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelzebubba View Post
To procure food, is to kill. Even though it is an animal, you have to kill it. As self defense, pulling one out and waving it around isn't it's purpose. It is to maim or destroy the offender you are defending against.

Someone else mentioned going to a range. I guess practicing on a silhouette target isn't maiming anything but the target, but it is still practicing within the confines of making sure you are able to kill, maim, or destroy whatever you are shooting at. (Technically speaking you do destroy a paper target).

Anyone who argues that guns are not tools of destruction is foolish. When that bullet hits anything, it tends to hurt, destroy, kill, or maim whatever it hits. It does not create fluffy clouds and unicorns puking rainbows.

Grant it sometimes what it hits deserves it. But I do find that guns are typically the cowards weapon of choice. I remember being pistol whipped by a former room mate when I found out he was not spending the rent money on rent. Reason he pistol whipped me, because if a fist fight he would have lost despite being bigger than me. He was a coward.

Of course if they do ban guns, or just "assault weapons", I think the destruction and loss of life will only increase. IEDs and other home made explosives are easy to make and easy to conceal. Once the guns are gone from all of us, the crazies will come out of the woodwork in droves. We will know what it is like in Israel. So I do not wish to see that.
I made a mistake earlier when I incorrectly assumed that kelzebubba was using "cowards" as a means of illustration. It is now clear that he intends to brand all gun owners in general. He won't be around anymore.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ohio High School Shooting G30USMC The Club House 26 12-31-2012 08:34 PM
School Shooting Nearly Hits Home doctherock The Club House 8 11-05-2011 04:45 AM
School Shooting in Los Angeles gregs887 Politics, Religion and Controversy 16 02-27-2011 04:39 AM
School Shooting murraywc The Club House 9 09-01-2010 11:31 AM