Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Conn. school shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #631
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
What picture was that. I am a ugly bloke like most on this forum.
Speak for yourself.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #632
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1125 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Speaking of ugly, I grew up in a foster home, and my foster "father", in between bouts of cruelty sometimes said to me, "You may not be very good looking, but your stupidity more than makes up for it". That always made me feel better.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 01-08-2013 at 06:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #633
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1698 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 3474

Sandy Hook School Support Fund - United Way of Western.

Shows the site started 11 Dec 2012?

https://www.google.com/search?q=sandy+hook+united+way&hl=en&newwindow=1&s afe=off&biw=1410&bih=709&sa=X&ei=JaDqUL3jAonOhAeU7 oDIBQ&ved=0CB4QpwUoBg&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_ min%3A12%2F11%2F2012%2Ccd_max%3A12%2F11%2F2012&tbm =

9-1-1 Emergency Health Data - Smart911

https://www.smart911.com/

Dec 11, 2012 - Smart911 is committed to offering a way for 9-1-1 and response agencies to provide ... In remembrance of the events at Sandy Hook Elementary School, we will make a $1 donation to the Sandy Hook Support Fund for every Safety Profile ... Middle & West Tennessee United Way - Kentucky Autism Speaks - Nashville, Dallas ...

Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #634

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I hate guns. I think they are chiefly the weapons of cowards. I also know that their only purpose is to maim, kill, and destroy. Say what you will but that is their purpose.

Going with that, this issue is just like a religion. Just because I believe that way doesn't mean everyone else does. So I own a few guns. I fire them at the range every once in a while, and I clean them after every shoot. Keep this in mind though, you can pass laws saying it is illegal but does that really help.

1. Murder is illegal - yet these guys are killing people anyways, so that law was quite useless
2. Possession of a weapon with intent to commit a crime is illegal - yet that doesn't stop them from getting one.

Then you have the "well this is what we feel it meant" people on the second amendment. I don't care two shakes for what anyone other than the people who wrote the constitution meant it to mean. They wrote several papers and such after the forming of the constitution stating that it was to keep the militia (which at the time of writing was citizens, not military) armed as well as the government soldiers so that the government could not become tyrannical, the ultimate in checks and balances. The government making any laws preventing the citizens from owning guns is a severe conflict of interest and is not constitutional. They felt so strongly about it they even wrote that it shall not be infringed in any way, not every amendment got that treatment.

The problem with the way our constitution is setup is the question of where does ones rights end and the others begin was never clearly laid out. But the second amendment, shall and should never be infringed.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #635
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6682 Times on 4040 Posts
Likes Given: 7944

Just to throw this in while I'm thinking about it, the night of this tragedy, my daughter received one of those 'automated phone call alerts' from the principal my granddaughter goes to asking parents to not let the children see this incident on the news so as not to scare the children. I thought it was a good idea.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelzebubba View Post
I hate guns. I think they are chiefly the weapons of cowards. I also know that their only purpose is to maim, kill, and destroy. Say what you will but that is their purpose.

Going with that, this issue is just like a religion. Just because I believe that way doesn't mean everyone else does. So I own a few guns. I fire them at the range every once in a while, and I clean them after every shoot. Keep this in mind though, you can pass laws saying it is illegal but does that really help.

1. Murder is illegal - yet these guys are killing people anyways, so that law was quite useless
2. Possession of a weapon with intent to commit a crime is illegal - yet that doesn't stop them from getting one.

Then you have the "well this is what we feel it meant" people on the second amendment. I don't care two shakes for what anyone other than the people who wrote the constitution meant it to mean. They wrote several papers and such after the forming of the constitution stating that it was to keep the militia (which at the time of writing was citizens, not military) armed as well as the government soldiers so that the government could not become tyrannical, the ultimate in checks and balances. The government making any laws preventing the citizens from owning guns is a severe conflict of interest and is not constitutional. They felt so strongly about it they even wrote that it shall not be infringed in any way, not every amendment got that treatment.

The problem with the way our constitution is setup is the question of where does ones rights end and the others begin was never clearly laid out. But the second amendment, shall and should never be infringed.
While you would be correct in saying that guns have been primarily developed as military instruments, you would be wrong in saying that their only purpose is to maim and kill. In the hands of citizens, the primary use of guns is to procure food. The secondary, but more important, use would be self-defense against both criminals and government - (if you can draw a distinction )

I am glad though that you respect and understand the Constitution.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 01-08-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #637
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7668 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 9890

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelzebubba View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
While you would be correct in saying that guns have been primarily developed as military instruments, you would be wrong in saying that their only purpose is to maim and kill. In the hands of citizens, the primary use of guns is to procure food. The secondary, but more important, use would be self-defense against both criminals and government - (if you can draw a distinction )

I am glad though that you respect and understand the Constitution.
I have to agree with tCan to a certain extent.

Kelzeabubba, you say that you "know that their only purpose is to maim, kill, and destroy. Say what you will but that is their purpose." yet you also say that you do visit the range with your guns. Tell us now, what exactly do you "maim, kill and destroy" at your range?

Personally none of my guns have ever been used to maim or destroy while in my ownership, though some of them have been used to kill, as I am a hunter. I guess you could make the argument that I have "destroyed" life in those cases, but that might be an insult to me (that is if I really gave a damn about your opinion on the matter, which I do not.)

Guns do serve many non-destructive uses, but first and foremost they serve as a tool of defense. If you are being completely honest with yourself you must admit that all sports are a form of battle, and all sports were originally derived from activities that were commonly used to "maim, kill and destroy" people.

Then there is tCan's argument, that firearms are used primarily to procure food. This, in my omnivorous mind, is a form of self-preservation. One must eat in order to survive.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #638

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It is really rather simply. Weapons provide that slim margin between the slave and the free man.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #639

I think it's important to recognize that guns have incredible symbology both positive and negative. And since we can't put the genie back in the bottle, it is imperative that we attempt to maximize the positive and minimize the negative.

Currently, in this country, a wedge has been driven between the two. We're squabbling about non-issues that have little to no real world impact and both sides are in an uproar about it. I think if we set aside philosophy were sensible we'd recognize that the two biggest problems we face today with crime is a lack of enforcement of current legislation and a growing irresponsibility about the health of our society. If we could get people to take responsibility for their own kids, their own education, their own mental health instead of worrying about what our neighbor thinks or how the government can "fix it", the lack of enforcement wouldn't even really be an issue. And passing more laws certainly won't do a bit of good if we don't first address this.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #640

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Currently, in this country, a wedge has been driven between the two. We're squabbling about non-issues that have little to no real world impact and both sides are in an uproar about it. I think if we set aside philosophy were sensible we'd recognize that the two biggest problems we face today with crime is a lack of enforcement of current legislation and a growing irresponsibility about the health of our society. If we could get people to take responsibility for their own kids, their own education, their own mental health instead of worrying about what our neighbor thinks or how the government can "fix it", the lack of enforcement wouldn't even really be an issue. And passing more laws certainly won't do a bit of good if we don't first address this.
What he ^^^^^ said