Conn. school shooting - Page 61
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Conn. school shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #601
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
First of all, I have no kids left in school, so I don't have a dog in the hunt. I may have grand kids coming, so I do have at least a periphery interest in this. I did some math yesterday. I saw somewhere that there are 131,000 schools in the US. So I looked at arming one security guard for each school, which I do not believe is enough, at $10 per hour, which may be absurdly low, but I don't know. This is what I came up with.

131,000 schools, with one person at $10/hour, roughly 32.5 hours per week (that's right people, your kids go to school roughly 5.5 hours per day, and 30 min each before school and after the dismissal bell). Multiplying this by approx 39 weeks in a school calandar, you come up with a cost of $1,660,425,000 for all of the schools. Assuming my info on numbers, and my guess at hourly pay, hours in a week, and weeks in a year are correct. I also think one is not enough. Two or three per school are better.

I cannot see the states paying it. these kids are not the states kids, and to some of these politicos may be more valuable politically as martyrs.

This is why we who are retired, or close to retiring need to find a way collectively to offer our services one or two days a week. We can probably find a way to have two or three of us at a school, which is a much better number then one. Training could be planned and administered by the NRA or some other organization.

In an ideal world, we would be given at least a tax write off for ammo for practice.

I know I am close to retirement, and would gladly give up some time for this.
Around here it is 7+ hours a day in school and the school year not including summer school is 180 days. So I heavily agree with your post.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #602

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Uggghhh, then you read crap like this which doesnt help our cause. Freakin idiots.....eventually those bullets shot up in the night sky will rain down, somewhere:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Pa-Girl-Struck-by-Bullet-Fired-During-NYE-Celebration-Cops-185489552.html

Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #603
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8691 Times on 5025 Posts
Likes Given: 11294

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Uggghhh, then you read crap like this which doesnt help our cause. Freakin idiots.....eventually those bullets shot up in the night sky will rain down, somewhere:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Pa-Girl-Struck-by-Bullet-Fired-During-NYE-Celebration-Cops-185489552.html
Even in the above story the problem is the people, not the guns. Unfortunately the anti's will never get it.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
StainlessSteel215 Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #604

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post

Simple law of gravity. What goes up, must come down. This is a lack of intelligence that will not be fixed anytime soon.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #605

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Even in the above story the problem is the people, not the guns. Unfortunately the anti's will never get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelzebubba View Post

Simple law of gravity. What goes up, must come down. This is a lack of intelligence that will not be fixed anytime soon.
Yep yep. I learned that crap the first time I shot my little toy bow into the air. Never thought I could run that fast...

Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #606

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

DN

Watched an interview on Fox with a Superintendent of Schos in Texas. In 07 following the Amish killings and VT they changed policy to allow school employees who chose to carry, to do so at work.

^^THIS^^ is the common sence solution to our problem. 22 years ago we began turning schools into GFZ's...school shootings began in Ernest about 20 years ago so the math seems pretty simple to me.

My wife and I have 4 kids ages 20, 17, 4, and 2 so my children will be "in the system" for the next 2 decades and I want a solution to the problem.

Your notion of volunteer retiree's is an excellent augmentation to tue Texas plan BUT I believe the armed employees who know the layout of the buildings, know each other, and know the students schedules, carrying in a concealed and annonymys mannor is the best possible option.

I say this because CT was an anomaly, most school shootings are carried out by students and a student would easily identify Cops, Security Guards, or Volunteers and simply make them there first targets.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
First of all, I have no kids left in school, so I don't have a dog in the hunt. I may have grand kids coming, so I do have at least a periphery interest in this. I did some math yesterday. I saw somewhere that there are 131,000 schools in the US. So I looked at arming one security guard for each school, which I do not believe is enough, at $10 per hour, which may be absurdly low, but I don't know. This is what I came up with.

131,000 schools, with one person at $10/hour, roughly 32.5 hours per week (that's right people, your kids go to school roughly 5.5 hours per day, and 30 min each before school and after the dismissal bell). Multiplying this by approx 39 weeks in a school calandar, you come up with a cost of $1,660,425,000 for all of the schools. Assuming my info on numbers, and my guess at hourly pay, hours in a week, and weeks in a year are correct. I also think one is not enough. Two or three per school are better.

I cannot see the states paying it. these kids are not the states kids, and to some of these politicos may be more valuable politically as martyrs.

This is why we who are retired, or close to retiring need to find a way collectively to offer our services one or two days a week. We can probably find a way to have two or three of us at a school, which is a much better number then one. Training could be planned and administered by the NRA or some other organization.

In an ideal world, we would be given at least a tax write off for ammo for practice.

I know I am close to retirement, and would gladly give up some time for this.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #607
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 510 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
What background checks and training should these volunteers have. Or should they just let anyone volunteer. Whats to stop one of them going on a shooting spree.

I am not sure about America but in the UK extensive background checks have to be made before anyone would be allowed in a school.

Under the Criminal Records Review Act, individuals working with children or vulnerable adults and have unsupervised access to children or vulnerable adults must authorize a Criminal Record Check for their employer or authorized organization. This authorization is submitted to the Criminal Records Review Program for review.

The act helps protect:
• Children from individuals whose criminal record indicates they pose a risk of physical or sexual abuse.
•Vulnerable adults from individuals whose record indicates they pose a risk to physical, sexual or financial abuse.

Last edited by manta; 01-03-2013 at 08:51 PM.
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #608
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

IMHO, it is better to have faculty and administrative people in the school armed, if they have a permit and special training. They would know the safety rules, when they should and when they should not deploy their firearms, and are familiar with the layout of the school. They also know who belongs there and who doesn't. They'd recognize a stranger as such, and with training would know how to react. I'd have a problem with just letting a bunch of old geezers with permits and guns wander around in the halls. Some of them may be OK, but some of them may be gun-happy or even pedophiles who have a carry permit simply because they've never been caught doing their molestations. And if the SHTF, it'd be better to have people armed who could recognize the "good-guys" so they wouldn't be shooting each other.
In fact, arming the staff would be better than having a different cop there each day, because the cop wouldn't know who the good guys are, either.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 01-03-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #609
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 4220

Found at video that has been put together.

The Sandy Hook Rampage Movie FULL MOVIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLANlv__iL13hsVug1aMNfY0fODI1NSZMa&feat ure=player_detailpage&v=IsgZk19Sars

Here is another video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AfScPPysADQ

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 01-04-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #610

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Ran across this on another website. And the president of the NRA was ridiculed for the suggestion of police and guns at schools...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/01/03/Students-in-Newtown-Return-to-School-Amid-Heavy-Police-Presence