Conn. school shooting - Page 43
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Conn. school shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #421
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
So a small child is dropped one at a time about five feet to the ground out a window by a teacher that can't even pick them up ???????
I don't know about you but when I went to school we performed emergency exiting drills - both in the classroom and the bus. I was lowering myself out of windows when I was in kindergarten.

do schools not still perform these drills? or maybe I was just ahead of the curve

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #422

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I think there was armed security at Columbine. He was killed too.
Uh, no...

He was outside eating lunch when he spotted the shooters. He fired some shots at them and then stood outside with the rest of the LEO's waiting for the shooting to stop.

eldar

Last edited by eldarbeast; 12-23-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #423

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarbeast View Post
Uh, no...

He was outside eating lunch when he spotted the shooters. He fired some shots at them and then stood outside with the rest of the LEO's waiting for the shooting to stop.

eldar
I wasn't sure. I thought I read a guard was there & killed. Unless he ran out of rounds, I'm sure he wishes he had done something different. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. I know procedures have changed. Hindsight is cheap.

Last edited by Vincine; 12-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #424
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8269 Times on 4778 Posts
Likes Given: 10693

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I don't know about you but when I went to school we performed emergency exiting drills - both in the classroom and the bus. I was lowering myself out of windows when I was in kindergarten.

do schools not still perform these drills? or maybe I was just ahead of the curve
I'm calling BS on this. Everybody here knows well and good that your window-climbing was strictly limited to looking in the bathroom window in the staff break room and the girls locker room. Probably started before kindergarten too!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #425
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The windows in our building DO NOT open. The blinds are inside of the windows and you turn a knob to open/close them. The building was made this way for better temperature control purposes.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #426

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
The windows in our building DO NOT open. The blinds are inside of the windows and you turn a knob to open/close them. The building was made this way for better temperature control purposes.
I find it hard to believe that any building could be built, let alone a school, in violation of life safety egress codes. Are you saying there is only 1 means of egress from your classroom - the door?

Even in residential homes it is required to have 2 means of egress in a bedroom - the door and a window.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #427

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
I don't know what the school building codes are. Are the windows made of safety glass? Even if they're not, could you bust a window with a chair and knock out the remaining shards? How high is your window off the ground? How far would the kids have to run to get away and spread out behind other houses?

I don't understand collecting everybody and putting them in one place, unless it was bullet proof.

Last edited by Vincine; 12-23-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #428
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I don't know what the school building codes are. Are the windows made of safety glass? Even if they're not, could you bust a window with a chair and knock out the remaining shards? How high is your window off the ground? How far would the kids have to run to get away and spread out behind other houses?

I don't understand collecting everybody and putting them in one place, unless it was bullet proof.
My classroom is two stories up. I personally wouldn't jump out. Our school is pretty much Fort Knox. Unless someone is let in, they aren't getting in. Teachers have a fob that we swipe to get in and all of the hallways have their own sets of doors that can be locked and closed if needed. It's about 1/4 of a mile to a house in any direction once outside of the building because the parking lot on both sides is really big. I'm not quite sure what the windows are made of, I just know that they don't manually open.

Last edited by Zombiegirl; 12-23-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #429
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Zombiegirl, I read somewhere over the past couple of days that Indiana allows teachers to carry in their classrooms, at least in some schools. Any truth to this that you know of?
No, still unlawful to carry in school buildings in IN>

Quote:
Definitely not in my District. I asked last year if I could keep mine in the car because I didn't like riding to and from work without it and I was told that they are not allowed on the property. This was by the cop that runs our security. I could approach him again but I'm pretty darn sure I'll be told no again....
This is UNlawful. If you have the proper permit (CCW) you are allowed to carry a firearm in your car on school grounds. Mitch Daniels (i know you hate that guy) signed the law (along with a raft of others making it easier to defend oneself in IN) July of 2011.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #430

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

Hahahaha

In short, no.