Conn. school shooting - Page 42
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Conn. school shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #411
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I think there was armed security at Columbine. He was killed too.
And he was directly responsible for preventing more casualties, having someone outside the lunchroom firing shots into the building through broken windows trying to take out the taller one certainly put a kink in their operation.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #412

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
If I were in your shoes, I would first make an official request in writing. At the same time, I would start reaching out to some of the gun legal foundations to see if anyone is interested in taking on the challenge.

If your request goes nowhere, have an attorney write the request. Then see if you need to escalate it further.
The sad part is sometimes the squeeky wheel just gets replaced. ZG- make sure you are taking care of your self and don't put yourself in a bad spot. I think at this point in time it might be good to have a voice but if it is such a minority it might looks like you are the crazy one. Talk with other teachers and form your thoughts.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #413
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1819 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire

The sad part is sometimes the squeeky wheel just gets replaced. ZG- make sure you are taking care of your self and don't put yourself in a bad spot. I think at this point in time it might be good to have a voice but if it is such a minority it might looks like you are the crazy one. Talk with other teachers and form your thoughts.
My District is definitely the "replace the wheel" type. It's a very prestigious District and they don't like problems.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #414

The big problem with schools is the design. When I think back to most of my schools, there is only one way in and out of the classrooms. And all the exits open to hallways that put everyone in the same spot. You are just trapped.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #415

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Just watched meet the press. Lindsey Gramm was on and actually stood for no new awb. SHOCKED!! He must be up for reelection in 2014.

NEVER FORGET

Old 12-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #416
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1278 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Just watched meet the press. Lindsey Gramm was on and actually stood for no new awb. SHOCKED!! He must be up for reelection in 2014.
I saw it too. For once Graham actually stood firm for something he believes in. Wayne La Pierre was also on that show. Gregory tried like crazy to get him to back down, but La Pierre gave not an inch of ground and made David Gregory look like a helpless child, "Yes but, yes but, yes but..."
I was impressed by the way La Pierre avoided name-calling, and avoided issues that would have made us all look like a bunch of "conspiracy theorists". As far as I'm concerned, La Pierre won the debate.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 12-23-2012 at 04:13 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #417

Liked 3739 Times on 1827 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
The big problem with schools is the design. When I think back to most of my schools, there is only one way in and out of the classrooms. And all the exits open to hallways that put everyone in the same spot. You are just trapped.
Not true ... every last classroom in any school across the country has emergency exit windows. The shcool system I went through, built in the 60's and 70's had 2 doors in most of the rooms and every 2nd floor room exit window opened up to a roof top.

It's simple enough to design and construct a building with the ideas of safety and egress in mind. It's just as simple to design and build with the ideas of protection and keeping someone out as well

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #418
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I just had a cynical, silly "epiphany". How 'bout arming all the kids? A room full of armed kindergarteners would make the perp look like a piece of swiss cheese.
Seriously, though, if the legislators would just quit trying to use events like these as an excuse to infringe deeper and deeper into the rights of the public they are sworn to serve, we the people would devise our own ways to secure our schools, shopping centers, and businesses. People did pretty well taking care of themselves and each other for the first 150 years of the United States.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Not true ... every last classroom in any school across the country has emergency exit windows. The shcool system I went through, built in the 60's and 70's had 2 doors in most of the rooms and every 2nd floor room exit window opened up to a roof top.

It's simple enough to design and construct a building with the ideas of safety and egress in mind. It's just as simple to design and build with the ideas of protection and keeping someone out as well
So a small child is dropped one at a time about five feet to the ground out a window by a teacher that can't even pick them up ???????

Old 12-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #420
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
So a small child is dropped one at a time about five feet to the ground out a window by a teacher that can't even pick them up ???????
Or 15 feet, or 30 feet out a 2nd or 3rd story window.