You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Conn. school shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #341
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sonic82's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minneapolis,Minnesota
Posts: 2,930
Liked 769 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 604


They (anti's) see the tool as the cause in these violent shootings....but don't go after Nintendo and X-Box for providing the conditioning and training.
“He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.”
― Alexander Hamilton

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.
Sonic82 is offline  
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #342
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9107 Times on 5290 Posts
Likes Given: 11970


Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The largest school massacre was in Bath, Michigan, 1927. As King Solomon said, "there is nothing new under the sun."
Here is a link to the story of the 1927 Bath school violence.
Vikingdad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #343
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,883
Liked 1547 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 2491


Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
They (anti's) see the tool as the cause in these violent shootings....but don't go after Nintendo and X-Box for providing the conditioning and training.
I agree. The video games, TV, and movies are full of Rambo wannabee "heros" who solve their problems by grabbing an "assault weapon" and "wasting" their enemies, while wearing a stupid-looking angry sneer on their faces. Kids are being raised to believe that $#!t is normal behavior. Some of them can't differentiate between fantasy and reality, so they carry out their fantasies in the real world, believing they are some kinda super-hero. And it may be that his mommy reinforced that crap by expounding upon using violence to solve their problems, real and imagined.
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #344
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9225 Times on 5066 Posts
Likes Given: 74


Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Thank you. I felt the need to go ahead and copy the text of the article and paste it here. Some of us don't follow links, it's not always very easy to do if you're on a phone.

This is just the article in the link. Even the article is pretty gut wrenching. I don't know about you guys, but I intend to read the book.

Sometimes it feels like the mass violence of our modern age is something devastatingly new for America. History shows that's not the case.

In 1927, a single man's outbreak of violence in a small Michigan town took the lives of 45 people, including 38 children. The Bath School Disaster became the nation's deadliest killing spree at a school, and it still holds that distinction today.

A few years ago, Chicago author Arnie Bernstein went to Bath Township, Mich., near Lansing, to tell the story of the day that a local farmer and school board member – for reasons that are still unclear – used dynamite to destroy the town's school and kill many of its inhabitants. While the rest of the country promptly forgot about the tragedy – one of the century's biggest news events distracted the nation shortly after it happened – he discovered that the scars remain.

But there was more to find than heartache.

In an interview this week, Bernstein, author of 2009's "Bath Massacre: America's First School Bombing," describes a community's strength and the silent generation that finally spoke out when he came calling.

As another city goes through a familiar cycle of shock and grief, Bernstein's words offer a glimpse of the humanity that the worst kinds of horror cannot destroy.

Q: How was the reaction to this tragedy different than what we're seeing in Aurora?

A: While the people of Bath weren't any different than the people of our times, it was a different time, a different era. These days, we have better coping mechanisms. We have counselors and all kinds of different support systems.

Back then, they didn't talk about it, period. They were farmers, and they had to go back to work. Your cow couldn't take a day off for a tragedy.

And there wasn't a media frenzy like today. The media came in and left. Three days after it happened, Lindbergh took off and flew to Paris, and that part of it was over.

When I came in, it had been eight decades, and nobody had talked about it. It was just this scar on the land.

Q: Amazingly, you talked to survivors of the school bombing who are now in their 90s and 100s. What did they say?

A: One woman who's 99 now was telling me the most graphic details about how her seven-year-old brother was killed. I was worried about upsetting her and told her she didn't have to talk about all this. She said, "No, people have to know. I'm not going to be around forever. I want people to know what happened."

Q: What can we learn from Bath Township?

A: One lesson is that you cannot stop someone who's determined to do something like this, who doesn't have that switch in their head that says to not do it. You cannot stop them any more than you can stop an iceberg.

But out of that horror, out of the one or two people who commit these kinds of crimes, comes the good, the tremendous good that you see in the wake of these things. Our humanity comes through in the face of evil and the inexplicable.

The survivors and their children are some of the most decent people I've ever known in my life, and they grew out of this.

Q: Will this part of Bath's history ever fade?

A: This cannot go away and never will, even after these people die. It's always part of who they are in Bath. But they remain a quintessential small Midwest town America: nice, kind, and good Christians in the absolute greatest sense.

Q: What has writing the story of this town meant for you?

A: One day when I was walking through the town cemetery, I realized I knew everybody: This guy was a rescuer, this child was killed, here was someone's wife who made sandwiches for the men.

I saw many names on the headstones with no death dates. These people are still alive. Bath was where they were born and raised, and it's where they'll die.

When my life is over, I think this will probably the best thing I've done in my life, bringing this town some healing, helping people talk about it and bringing the community together.

It's been 80 years, but it's still fresh in mind. It's yesterday. But out of this came good and decency – people caring for strangers and looking out for one another.

Randy Dotinga is a Monitor contributor.
trip286 is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #345
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9107 Times on 5290 Posts
Likes Given: 11970


This is from Wikipedia and covers a bit more ground. (lots to read here-)

Bath School disaster
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Bath School disaster

Bath Consolidated School before the bombing
Location Bath Township, Clinton County, Michigan, USA
Date May 18, 1927
Target Bath Consolidated School, house, farm and wife
Attack type School bombing, mass murder, murder-suicide, suicide truck bombing, fire, uxoricide
Weapon(s) Dynamite, pyrotol, firebombs, club
Deaths 45 (38 children, 2 teachers, 4 other adults and the bomber)
Injured 58
Perpetrator Andrew P. Kehoe
Motive Revenge for defeat in local election; personal and financial stress
The state historic site marker placed on the site

The Bath School disaster is the name given to three bombings in Bath Township, Michigan, on May 18, 1927, which killed 38 elementary school children, two teachers, and four other adults; at least 58 people were injured. The perpetrator first killed his wife, and later committed suicide in his last explosion. Most of the victims were children in the second to sixth grades (7–14 years of age[1]) attending the Bath Consolidated School. Their deaths constitute the deadliest mass murder in a school in United States history.

The bomber was the school board treasurer Andrew Kehoe, 55, who was angry after being defeated in the spring 1926 election for township clerk. He was thought to have planned his "murderous revenge" after that public defeat; he had a reputation for difficulty on the school board and in personal dealings. For much of the next year, a neighbor noticed Kehoe had stopped working on his farm and thought he might be planning suicide. During that period, Kehoe carried out steps in his plan to destroy the school and his farm by purchasing and hiding explosives.

Kehoe's wife was ill with tuberculosis and he had stopped making mortgage payments; he was under pressure for foreclosure. Some time between May 16 and the morning of May 18, 1927, Kehoe murdered his wife by hitting her on the head. On the morning of May 18 about 8:45, he exploded incendiary devices in his house and farm buildings, setting them on fire and destroying them.

Almost simultaneously, an explosion devastated the north wing of the school building, killing many schoolchildren. Kehoe had used a timed detonator to ignite dynamite and hundreds of pounds of incendiary pyrotol, which he had secretly planted inside the school over the course of many months. As rescuers gathered at the school, Kehoe drove up, stopped, and used a rifle to detonate dynamite inside his shrapnel-filled truck, killing himself, the school superintendent, and several others nearby, as well as injuring more bystanders. During rescue efforts at the school, searchers discovered an additional 500 pounds (230 kg) of unexploded dynamite and pyrotol planted throughout the basement of the south wing. Kehoe had apparently intended to blow up and destroy the whole school.

1 Background
1.1 Bath Township
1.2 Andrew Kehoe
1.3 Purchase and planting of explosives
2 Day of the disaster
2.1 Farm bombs
2.2 Explosion in north wing of school
2.3 Truck explosion
2.4 Recovery and rescue
3 Aftermath
3.1 Coroner's inquest
3.2 Rebuilding
3.3 Legacy
4 Representation in other media
5 See also
6 Notes
7 References
8 Further reading
9 External links

Bath Township
See also: Bath Township, Michigan and Bath, Michigan

Bath Township is a small community located ten miles (16 km) northeast of Lansing, Michigan, and contains the unincorporated village of Bath. In the early 1920s, the area was primarily agricultural. In the early part of the 20th century, many small one-room schools, where different grades shared the same classroom and teacher, were closed. Educators of the era believed that children would receive a better and more complete education if students could attend a single school at one location.[2] The grades could be age-divided into classes, and the facilities could be of a higher quality.

After years of debate, in 1922 Bath Township voters approved creation of the consolidated school district, and the increase in property taxes to pay for the new school.[3] When the school opened, it had 236 students enrolled in grades 1-12.[3] All landowners had to pay higher property taxes.
Andrew Kehoe
Main article: Andrew Kehoe
Andrew P. Kehoe, circa 1920

Andrew Philip Kehoe was born in Tecumseh, Michigan, on February 1, 1872. Kehoe's mother died when he was young, and his father married a much younger widow. Reportedly, Kehoe often quarreled with his stepmother. When he was fourteen, an accident at the oil stove set his stepmother on fire. Kehoe threw a bucket of water on her but, because the fire was oil-based, it spread the flames more rapidly over her body. She died from her injuries.[4] He studied electrical engineering and worked as an electrician for some time in St. Louis, Missouri.

After some years in Missouri, Kehoe returned to Michigan. At the age of 40, then considered late in life, he married Ellen "Nellie" Price in 1912; seven years later they moved to a farm they bought outside the village of Bath.[5] Kehoe's neighbors described him as an intelligent man who was impatient with all who disagreed with him. Neighbors recounted that Kehoe had shot and killed a neighbor's dog that had come on his property and annoyed him by barking. He was known to have beaten one of his horses to death when it did not perform as well as he wanted.[3]

With a reputation for thriftiness, Kehoe was elected in 1924 as treasurer of the Bath Consolidated School board. While on the board, Kehoe fought endlessly for lower taxes. He was considered extremely difficult to work with, often voting against the rest of the board and wanting his own way. He repeatedly accused the superintendent Emory Huyck of financial mismanagement.[6]

He argued with township financial authorities, trying to get the valuation of his property reduced, claiming that he had paid too much for the farm. He also tried to get the mortgage taken off but was not successful.[6]

Appointed to fill a position as town clerk, Kehoe was defeated several months later in the spring 1926 election for the position. He was angered by his public rejection by the community.[3][7] A neighbor, M. J. Ellsworth, who wrote an eyewitness account of the disaster, thought this was the reason Kehoe had planned his "murderous revenge" of the bombings, to destroy the school, and kill the community's children and many of its members.[3]

A. McMullen, another neighbor, noted that Kehoe had stopped working on his farm altogether for most of a year, and thought he might be planning suicide. For this reason, when Kehoe gave him one of his horses about April 1927, McMullen returned it.[7]

It was discovered later that, as part of Kehoe's preparations to destroy his farm, he had cut all his wire fences, girdled young shade trees to kill them, and cut off his grapevine plants, but put them back on the stumps to hide the damage. He gathered lumber and other materials and put them in the tool shed, which he later exploded with an incendiary bomb.[7]

By the time of the bombing, Nellie Kehoe had become chronically ill with tuberculosis, for which there was no effective treatment or cure then. Her frequent hospital stays may have contributed to the family's debt. Kehoe had ceased making mortgage and homeowner's insurance payments. His mortgage lender had begun foreclosure proceedings against the farm.[6]
Purchase and planting of explosives
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)
Explosives recovered from under the school

There is no clear indication when Kehoe conceived and planned the steps leading to the ultimate events, but his neighbor, M. J. Ellsworth, thought that Kehoe conceived his plan after being defeated for the election as town clerk in 1926. A subsequent investigation concluded that, based on the activity at the school and the purchases of explosives, Kehoe had worked on steps in his plan for at least a year.

In early 1926 the board asked Kehoe to perform maintenance inside the school building. Regarded by most as a talented handyman, he was known to be familiar with electrical equipment. (He had worked as an electrician at one time. As a board member appointed to conduct repairs, he had free access to the building and his presence was never questioned.

From mid-1926, Kehoe began purchasing more than a ton of pyrotol, an incendiary explosive used by farmers during the era for excavation and burning of debris. In November 1926 Kehoe drove to Lansing and purchased two boxes of dynamite at a sporting goods store. As dynamite was also commonly used on farms, Kehoe's purchase of small amounts of explosives at different stores and on different dates did not raise any suspicions. Neighbors reported hearing explosions set off on the farm, as well as recalling conversations where Kehoe explained he was using dynamite for tree stump removal.

Late in 1926, Kehoe purchased a .30-caliber Winchester bolt-action rifle.[6][Note 1]
Day of the disaster
Andrew and Nellie Kehoe's house before the disaster

Prior to May 18, Kehoe had loaded the back seat of his truck with metal debris. He threw in old tools, nails, pieces of rusted farm machinery, digging shovels, and anything else capable of producing shrapnel during an explosion. After the back seat was filled, Kehoe placed a large cache of dynamite behind the front seat and his loaded Winchester rifle on the passenger's seat.[8]
The remains of Kehoe's house after the explosion

Nellie Kehoe had been discharged on May 16 from Lansing's St. Lawrence Hospital.[9] Between her release and the bombings two days later, Kehoe killed Nellie. Her death was later determined to be by blunt force trauma to the head with an unknown heavy object. Her charred body was found in a wheelbarrow located in the rear of the farm's chicken coop. Piled around the cart were silverware, jewels and a metal cash box. Ashes of several bank notes could be seen through a slit in the cash box.[10] Kehoe had placed and wired homemade pyrotol firebombs in the house and all the buildings of the farm. The burned remains of his two horses were found tied in their enclosures with their legs wired together, to prevent their being rescued during the fire.[7]
Farm bombs

At approximately 8:45 a.m., Kehoe detonated the firebombs in his house and farm buildings. Neighbors noticed the fire, and volunteer fire departments from all over the area began rushing to the scene. Some witnesses claimed to hear gunshots inside the burning house. Detonating firebombs sound like gunshots from a distance.

O.H. Buck, a fireman, and some men crawled through a broken window of the farmhouse, searching for survivors. When they determined no one was in the farmhouse, they salvaged what furniture they could before the fire spread into the living room. Discovering dynamite in the corner, Buck picked up an armful of explosives and handed it to one of the men. As Kehoe left his burning farm and house in his Ford truck, he stopped to tell those fighting the fire, "Boys, you're my friends. You better get out of here. You better head down to the school", and drove off.[11]
Explosion in north wing of school
Rear view of the school building after the bombing

Classes began at 8:30 a.m. that morning. At about 8:45 a.m., in the basement of the north wing of the school, an alarm clock set by Kehoe detonated the dynamite and pyrotol he had hidden there. The blast forced the walls of the north wing upward about four feet. They fell back down, collapsing outward with a crash of wood, glass, plaster, and iron. The roof of the building slammed down onto the crumbling walls. A cloud of dust hovered above the ruins.[citation needed]

Rescuers heading to the scene of the Kehoe farm fire heard the explosion at the school building, turned back and headed toward the school. Parents within the rural community also began rushing to the school.[12] Thirty-eight people, mostly children, were killed in the explosion of the north wing.

The first-grade teacher Bernice Sterling recounted the explosion to an Associated Press reporter as being like a terrible earthquake.

It seemed as though the floor went up several feet," she said. "After the first shock I thought for a moment I was blind. When it came the air seemed to be full of children and flying desks and books. Children were tossed high in the air; some were catapulted out of the building.[13]

The north wing of the school had collapsed. Parts of the walls had crumbled, and the edge of the roof had fallen to the ground. Monty Ellsworth, a neighbor of the Kehoes, recounted,

There was a pile of children of about five or six under the roof and some of them had arms sticking out, some had legs, and some just their heads sticking out. They were unrecognizable because they were covered with dust, plaster, and blood. There were not enough of us to move the roof.[12]

Ellsworth volunteered to drive back to his farm and get a rope heavy enough to pull the school roof off the children's bodies. Returning to his farm, Ellsworth saw Kehoe in the opposite direction heading toward the school. "He grinned and waved his hand; when he grinned, I could see both rows of his teeth," said Ellsworth.[12]

The scene at the school building was chaotic. One witness, Robert Gates, recounted how

... mother after mother came running into the school yard, and demanded information about her child and, on seeing the lifeless form lying on the lawn, broke into sobs. In no time more than 100 men were at work tearing away the debris of the school, and nearly as many women were frantically pawing over the timber and broken bricks for traces of their children.

[citation needed]
Truck explosion
The remains of Kehoe's Ford truck after the explosion

About a half hour after the explosion, Kehoe drove up to the school and saw Superintendent Huyck. Kehoe summoned the superintendent over to his truck. According to one eyewitness, when Huyck drew close, Kehoe said he was behind the explosion. Saying, "I'll take you with me", Kehoe pulled out his Winchester rifle and fired into the back seat. The dynamite in the car ignited and the resulting explosion killed Kehoe, the superintendent, and Nelson McFarren, a retired farmer.[14] Cleo Claton, an eight-year-old second grader, had wandered out of the collapsed school building and was killed by the fragmentation from the exploding vehicle. The explosion mortally wounded postmaster Glenn O. Smith (who lost a leg and died later of his wounds) and injured several others.

After Kehoe's truck exploded, Ellsworth recounted,

I saw one mother, Mrs. Eugene Hart, sitting on the bank a short distance from the school with a little dead girl on each side of her and holding a little boy, Percy, who died a short time after they got him to the hospital. This was about the time Kehoe blew his car up in the street, severely wounding Percy, the oldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Hart.

[citation needed]

O.H. Buck, foreman of the road crew, recalled the scene after the final explosion:

I began to feel as though the world was coming to an end. I guess I was a bit hazy. Anyway, the next thing I remember I was out on the street. One of our men was binding up the wounds of Glenn Smith, the postmaster. His leg had been blown off. I went back to the building and helped with the rescue work until we were ordered to stop while a search was made for dynamite.[10]

Recovery and rescue
The location where Nellie Kehoe's body was found

Telephone operators stayed at their stations for hours to summon doctors, undertakers, area hospitals and anyone else who might help. The Lansing Fire Department sent three men and the city's chemical truck.[citation needed]

The local physician, Dr. J. A. Crum and his wife, a nurse, had both served in World War I, and had returned to Bath to open a pharmacy. After the explosion the Crums turned their drugstore into a triage center. The dead were removed to the town hall, used as a morgue. Private citizens were enlisted to use their automobiles as additional ambulances to take survivors and family members to area hospitals. By the afternoon some 13 ambulances were at the township hall to transport the dead to undertakers.[citation needed]

Hundreds of people worked in the wreckage all day and into the night in an effort to find and rescue any children pinned underneath. Area contractors had sent all their men to assist, and many ordinary people came to the scene in response to the pleas for help. Eventually, 34 firefighters and the Chief of the Lansing Fire Department arrived on the scene, as did several Michigan State Police officers, who managed traffic to and from the scene. The injured and dying were transported to Sparrow Hospital and St. Lawrence Hospital in Lansing. The construction of the latter facility had been financed in large part by Lawrence Price, Nellie Kehoe's uncle and formerly an executive in charge of Oldsmobile's Lansing Car Assembly.[15]

Michigan Governor Fred Green arrived during the afternoon of the disaster and assisted in the relief work, carting bricks away from the scene. The Lawrence Baking Company of Lansing sent a truck filled with pies and sandwiches, which were served to rescuers in the township's community hall. [12]

The bombing had destroyed the north wing of the school. During the search, rescuers found an additional 500 pounds (230 kg) of dynamite, which had failed to detonate, in the south wing. The search was halted to allow the Michigan State Police to disarm the devices. The State Police found an alarm clock timed to go off at 8:45 a.m. Investigators speculated that the initial explosion may have caused a short circuit in the second set of bombs, preventing them from detonating. They swept the building and returned to the recovery work.[14]

Police and fire officials gathered at the Kehoe farm to investigate the fires. It was not until the following day, May 19, that investigators identified Nellie Kehoe's charred body among the ruins of the farm. The body was so disfigured it went unnoticed by hundreds who walked past it the previous day.[citation needed]

All the Kehoe farm buildings were destroyed, and the two horses trapped inside the barn died. Investigators found a wooden sign wired to the farm's fence with Kehoe's last message, "Criminals are made, not born," stenciled on it.[citation needed]
Killed in the disaster
Before the school bombing

Nellie Kehoe, age 52, wife of Andrew Kehoe.

Killed in the school bombing

Arnold V. Bauerle, age 8, 3rd grade.
Henry Bergan, age 14, 6th grade.
Herman Bergan age 11, 4th grade.
Emilie M. Bromundt, age 11, 5th grade.
Robert F. Bromundt, age 12, 5th grade.
Floyd E. Burnett, age 12, 6th grade.
Russell J. Chapman, age 8, 4th grade.
F. Robert Cochran, age 8, 3rd grade.
Ralph A. Cushman, age 7, 3rd grade.
Earl E. Ewing, age 11, 6th grade.
Katherine O. Foote, age 10, 6th grade.
Marjorie Fritz, age 9, 4th grade.
Carlyle W. Geisenhaver, age 9, 4th grade.
George P. Hall Jr., age 8, 3rd grade.
Willa M. Hall, age 11, 5th grade.
Iola I. Hart, age 12, 6th grade.
Percy E. Hart, age 11, 3rd grade.
Vivian O. Hart, age 8, 3rd grade.
Blanche E. Harte, age 30, teacher.
Gailand L. Harte, age 12, 6th grade.
LaVere R. Harte, age 9, 4th grade.
Stanley H. Harte, age 12, 6th grade.
Francis O. Hoeppner, age 13, 6th grade.
Cecial L. Hunter, age 13, 6th grade.
Doris E. Johns, age 8, 3rd grade.
Thelma I. MacDonald, age 8, 3rd grade.
Clarence W. McFarren, age 13, 6th grade.
J. Emerson Medcoff, age 8, 4th grade.
Emma A. Nickols, age 13, 6th grade.
Richard D. Richardson, age 12, 6th grade.
Elsie M. Robb, age 12, 6th grade.
Pauline M. Shirts, age 10, 5th grade.
Hazel I. Weatherby, age 21, teacher.
Elizabeth J. Witchell, age 10, 5th grade.
Lucile J. Witchell, age 9, 5th grade.
Harold L. Woodman, age 8, 3rd grade.
George O. Zimmerman, age 10, 3rd grade.
Lloyd Zimmerman, age 12, 5th grade.

Killed by the truck bombing

Andrew P. Kehoe, age 55, perpetrator.
Emory E. Huyck, age 33, superintendent.
G. Cleo Claton, age 8, 2nd grade.
Nelson McFarren, age 74, retired farmer.
Glenn O. Smith, age 33, postmaster.

Died later of injuries

Beatrice P. Gibbs, age 10, 4th grade.

The American Red Cross, setting up operations at the Crum drugstore, took the lead in providing aid and comfort to the victims. The Lansing Red Cross headquarters stayed open until 11:30 that night to answer telephone calls, update the list of dead and injured and provide information and planning services for the following day.[16]
Clean-up crew at the ruins of Bath Consolidated School.

The Red Cross also managed donations sent to pay for both the medical expenses of the survivors and the burial costs of the dead. In a few short weeks, $5,284.15 (about $70,698 today[clarification needed]) was raised through donations, including $2,500 from the Clinton County board of supervisors and $2,000 from the Michigan legislature.[17]

Vehicles from outlying areas and surrounding states descended upon Bath by the thousands. Over 100,000 vehicles passed through on Saturday alone, an enormous amount of traffic for the area. Some Bath citizens regarded this armada as an unwarranted intrusion into their time of grief, but most accepted it as a show of sympathy and support from surrounding communities.[18]
Coroner's inquest

The coroner arrived at the scene on the day of the disaster and swore in six community leaders to serve as an investigative jury. A coroner's inquest into the matter was held the following week. The Clinton County Prosecutor conducted the examination, and dozens of Bath citizens and law enforcement personnel testified before the jury. Although there was never any doubt that Kehoe was the perpetrator, the jury was asked to determine if the school board or its employees were guilty of criminal negligence.[19]
Cupola from the school building, today displayed at Bath School Memorial Park

Kehoe's neighbor Sidney J. Howell testified that after the fire began Kehoe warned him and three boys to leave the farm, telling them, "Boys, you're my friends. You'd better get out of here and go to the school house." Three telephone linemen working near Bath testified that (after they had gone to the farm and were on their way to the school) Kehoe passed them, and they saw him reach the school just before them. Kehoe's truck swerved to the right and stopped in front of the building. In the next instant, according to the linemen, the truck blew up, and one of them was struck by shrapnel. This testimony contradicted statements from others that Kehoe paused after stopping and called Superintendent Huyck over before blowing up his truck.

After more than a week of testimony, the jury exonerated the school board and its employees. In its verdict, the jury concluded that Kehoe "conducted himself sanely and so concealed his operations that there was no cause to suspect any of his actions; and we further find that the school board, and Frank Smith, janitor of the school building, were not negligent in and about their duties, and were not guilty of any negligence in not discovering Kehoe's plan."

The inquest determined that Kehoe murdered Superintendent Emory Huyck on the morning of May 18. It was also the jury's verdict that the school was blown up as part of a plan and that Kehoe alone, without the aid of conspirators, murdered 43 people in total, including his wife Nellie. Suicide was determined to be the cause of Andrew Kehoe's death, which brought the total to 44 dead at the time of the inquest.[20]
Flag atop the school on May 18, 1927, today displayed at the school museum

Kehoe's body was eventually claimed by his sister. Without ceremony, she had him buried in an unmarked grave in an initially unnamed cemetery. Later it was revealed that Kehoe was buried in the paupers' section of Mount Rest Cemetery, St. Johns, Clinton County, Michigan.[21] The Price family buried Nellie Kehoe in Mount Hope Cemetery in Lansing under her maiden name.[22]

On August 22, some three months after the bombing, fourth-grader Beatrice Gibbs died following hip surgery. Hers was the forty-fifth and final death directly attributable to the Bath School disaster.[23]

Governor Fred Green created the Bath Relief Fund with the money supplied by donors, the state, and local governments. People from around the country donated to the fund. The school board began a separate fund for the repair of the school building.
Plaque at the entrance of Bath School Memorial Park

School resumed on September 5, 1927 and, for the 1927–1928 school year, was held in the community hall, township hall, and two retail buildings. Most of the students returned. The board appointed O. M. Brant of Luther, Michigan, to succeed Huyck as superintendent. Lansing architect Warren Holmes donated construction plans, and the school board approved the contracts for the new building on September 14. On September 15, Michigan's Republican U.S. Senator James J. Couzens presented his personal check for $75,000 to the Bath construction fund to build the new school.

In 1928, artist Carlton W. Angell presented the board with a statue titled Girl With a Cat. The statue is presently in the Bath School Museum located within the school district's middle school, adjacent to the site of the destroyed building. Angell's inscription states that it is dedicated to the courage and determination of the people of Bath. The sculpture was financed by penny donations from young students from the state of Michigan. It was rumored that the donated pennies were melted down and used to cast the statue.[24]

The board demolished the damaged portion of the school and constructed a new wing with the donated funds. The "James Couzens Agricultural School" was dedicated on August 18, 1928.

In 1975 the Couzens building was demolished and a small park dedicated to the victims replaced it. At the center of the park is the cupola of the building, the only part preserved. At the park entrance, a bronze plaque affixed to a white boulder bears the names of those killed.[25] On November 3, 2008, it was announced that tombstones had been donated for Emilie and Robert Bromundt, the last two bombing victims whose graves were still unmarked. A grant from a foundation paid for the grave markers.[26]
Vikingdad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #346
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wiebelhaus's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belton,Texas
Posts: 970
Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032


Westboro has kicked the hornets nest with this latest one:
The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.
Wiebelhaus is offline  
sputnik1988 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #347
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9225 Times on 5066 Posts
Likes Given: 74


Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
Anonymous has already published their list. I have a copy. Anyone want it?
trip286 is offline  
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #348
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 562
Liked 85 Times on 60 Posts


I serve the residents of Bath Township and know the tale of the worst school massacre. It is an often forgotten tale but an important one.
msup752 is offline  
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #349
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wiebelhaus's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belton,Texas
Posts: 970
Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032


Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
I serve the residents of Bath Township and know the tale of the worst school massacre. It is an often forgotten tale but an important one.
late 1920's bombing correct? does it still haunt the Town?
The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.
Wiebelhaus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #350
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
downsouth's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,009
Liked 1418 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 146


Aspergers, audtism and mass murder. Seems like every group is feeling a little defensive.
downsouth is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ohio High School Shooting G30USMC The Club House 26 12-31-2012 08:34 PM
School Shooting Nearly Hits Home doctherock The Club House 8 11-05-2011 04:45 AM
School Shooting in Los Angeles gregs887 Politics, Religion and Controversy 16 02-27-2011 04:39 AM
School Shooting murraywc The Club House 9 09-01-2010 11:31 AM