Conn. school shooting - Page 24
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Conn. school shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #231
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonney View Post
CT has an assault rifle ban, too. The media should NEVER cover these events! that is what drives them, the "FAME" of being such a jerk". If all they ever got was a hushed up trial and a quick hanging, it would stop. It won't stop, until this is true, actually.
You are painting with too broad a brush.

We are wired deep in our genes to use our abilities to seek power because power secures our needs. We also have a self-regulating mechanism that allows us to apply our abilities to other pursuits after our needs are met. Our needs include food, clothing, shelter, acknowledgement, validation, respect, etc. When enough of us use our ‘excess’ capacity of our abilities toward other interests, we generate culture & civilization.

Unless our self-regulating mechanism is broken, and we don’t feel we have enough power despite the reality of our needs being met. Guns are power. Guns provide people who feel an insufficient degree of power, real or imagined, to satisfy their need for power.

Most of us are not broken. Most of us who have secured our necessities do not require power that has no relationship to the reality of having met our needs.

Those monsters who shoot famous individuals are seeking 'fame' of a sort. They may be feed by news reports about shootings.

I would postulate that for the majority of mass shooters, ‘fame’ is the furthest thing from their broken mind. They are seeking to redress slights, real or imaginary, to their sense of self, and are without any control of their emotions. News reports and fame seeking have nothing to do with a mass shooters motivation.

Last edited by Vincine; 12-15-2012 at 08:34 PM.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #232
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7342 Times on 4418 Posts
Likes Given: 9064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
You are using too broad a brush.

We are wired deep in our genes to use our abilities to seek power because power secures our needs. We also have a self-regulating mechanism that allows us to apply our abilities to other pursuits after our needs are met. Our needs include food, clothing, shelter, acknowledgement, validation, respect, etc. When enough of us use our ‘excess’ capacity of our abilities for other interests, we generate culture & civilization.

Unless our self-regulating mechanism is broken, and we don’t feel we have enough power despite the reality of our needs being met. Guns are power. Guns provide people who feel an insufficient degree of power, real or imagined, to satisfy their need for power.

Most of us are not broken. Most of us who have secured our necessities do not require power that has no relationship to the reality of having met our needs.

Those monsters who shoot famous individuals are seeking 'fame' of a sort. They may be feed by news reports about shootings.

I would postulate that for the majority of mass shooters, ‘fame’ is the furthest thing from their broken mind. They are seeking to redress slights, real or imaginary, to their sense of self, and are without any control of their emotions. News reports and fame seeking have nothing to do with mass shooters motivation.
Exactly true and very well stated, Vincine. I agree 100% though I would never have been able to state it so eloquently.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #233

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390 View Post
Does anyone know what Conn. gun laws are? Just curious bc you know the media is going to be all over this.
No, but I'm positive there is a law against murder!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #234

Liked 61 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Anut
News of another school shooting in Connecticut! What is wrong with folks? Bunch if da?n idiots!!! The anti-gun nuts just eat this up!
Instead of banning guns, they need to ban gun free zones. Guy knew no one could return fire.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #235

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post

I still think that others inside the school should carry, what if the officers get picked off?
I agree ... Thatbis why CONCEALED CARRY is such a valuable tool .... Ccw for teachers I say.... With summer anti terrorist training available ...
Old 12-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #236
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62
I tossed and turned for two hours thinking about this last night. There are very few parents in this country who are not feeling the pain for these folks in CT. I love guns, I love shooting, I love the freedom I have in this country to own them, and I've spent my entire life around firearms...but I would give them up in a heartbeat if by doing so it would bring just one of those little children back to life.
I would as well but it won't. And disarmament will not stop something this tragic from happening again.

YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE CRAZY!

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #237
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesmar

Instead of banning guns, they need to ban gun free zones. Guy knew no one could return fire.
This will be overlooked but is the main reason things like this happen at these places.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #238
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
This from Alex Jones, watch the video, he moves into facial features of Obama talking on the situation. At around 3:10 time frame.

They are going to use this as a national emergency action on guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2h1QNTQDnoU
This guy is running on some high test octane, but what he says is highly compelling

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #239

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Disarming America would not get all the guns off the streets...Millions of guns out there and people are not going to give them all back,even in someones stupid dreams....Even if they did the bad-guys would still have there's....There is talk on the news about doing something with Ammo...What I don't know...Sales or I heard of a stupid I.D. card to buy Ammo,and a limit on how much you can buy at a time......

Old 12-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #240
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7342 Times on 4418 Posts
Likes Given: 9064

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Disarming America would not get all the guns off the streets...Millions of guns out there and people are not going to give them all back,even in someones stupid dreams....Even if they did the bad-guys would still have there's....There is talk on the news about doing something with Ammo...What I don't know...Sales or I heard of a stupid I.D. card to buy Ammo,and a limit on how much you can buy at a time......
It won't stop these tragedies.