Concealed carry - to and from work
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Concealed carry - to and from work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

Default Concealed carry - to and from work

I was out looking for a good car safe today for my girl.

She can't carry at work and their parking requires leaving the keys with a valet so they can move them if they have too. So she shouldn't just leave it in the car somewhere. So how do you handle this?

Is a safe the best option? I'd like here to carry more often.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7151 Times on 3915 Posts
Likes Given: 14495

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams556 View Post
I was out looking for a good car safe today for my girl.

She can't carry at work and their parking requires leaving the keys with a valet so they can move them if they have to.

Is a safe the best option?
Seems like the only option. (That's an oxymoron.)

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1946 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

Valet is bonded, I hope? Nanovault works for me. But I don't know if I'd be comfortable giving someone the keys to my car with my gun in it.

Might want to consider installing the Nanovault in the trunk and lock up the gun someplace nearby to work so the existence of the gun does not become common knowledge among the valets. Problem is that nearby place becomes a habitual stop where someone could notice the daily transfer. Not sure there is a good solution.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 03-04-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

These look pretty solid
http://www.consolevault.com/

Old 03-04-2014, 02:59 AM   #5

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Seems like the only option. (That's an oxymoron.)

Just looking for advice...

Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #6

Liked 1359 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Concealed means nobody can see it. Who's gonna know unless you start blabbing about it? I'm not suggesting illegal behavior, but let's be logical. If you need a firearm for self-defense you are probably going to need it instantly. If it's locked in a safe in the trunk of your car 100 yards away it's useless. If one of your former co-workers gets disgruntled and decides to revisit the workplace for a little killing spree, what are you going to tell him? Hold your fire while I run out to the car to get my gun?

My suggestion...either carry it and shut up about it or leave it at home.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1946 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

That's OK if you don't mind losing your job over it. I think most people are more likely to be detected than they are to be attacked. Some employers (like mine) have a zero tolerance policy. Gun in office = fired immediately and trespassing charges filed. Buildings with valet services often have upgraded security that can include metal detectors.

Also, if a person has been an active proponent of 2A in conversations at work, there is greater chance of being asked directly. I'm not a good enough liar to make No believable.

Sent from my XT907 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1209 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 161

I would not leave my keys with anyone, when a gun is in the car

Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Concealed means nobody can see it. Who's gonna know unless you start blabbing about it? I'm not suggesting illegal behavior, but let's be logical. If you need a firearm for self-defense you are probably going to need it instantly. If it's locked in a safe in the trunk of your car 100 yards away it's useless. If one of your former co-workers gets disgruntled and decides to revisit the workplace for a little killing spree, what are you going to tell him? Hold your fire while I run out to the car to get my gun?

My suggestion...either carry it and shut up about it or leave it at home.
This falls under the "better judged by 12 than carried by 6" axiom. Either choose to disobey employer's rules and possibly state or local law, and suffer the consequences if caught, or accept the fact that obedience can get you killed.

But, if you are set on a safe, could she possibly, maybe as well as having one in the car, have a safe at work? Most people have no idea what they are and those that do are favorable to carry. My favorite are the Gunvault series, and the SpeedVault is used by my LGS for under desk and under counter. She could attach this to her desk securely and quickly on her own and no one would be the wiser.

I would still suggest a car safe for bank and post office visits, and if the valet finds it, it won't matter - he can't open it. Most valets don't care and just do their job, but even a nosey one won't get far. You can always tell people it's for a wallet or jewelry, or to securely hold registration info...away from nosey valets!

Edit: a safe that is opened with a key needs special consideration. The key can NEVER reside on the same ring with your car keys! Since you should also separate house and locker keys from a valet ring, this shouldn't be a problem since you need to carry two rings anyway. Those asking "Why?" Should realize when you valet park at work, you have just given your keys to the valet, who can then get your home address off of your car registration in the glove box or console and knows that you will not be home for at least eight hours (your work shift). This is all that is needed to clean you out. Hide registration in car safe and separate car keys from all others.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 03-04-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
That's OK if you don't mind losing your job over it. I think most people are more likely to be detected than they are to be attacked. Some employers (like mine) have a zero tolerance policy. Gun in office = fired immediately and trespassing charges filed. Buildings with valet services often have upgraded security that can include metal detectors.

Also, if a person has been an active proponent of 2A in conversations at work, there is greater chance of being asked directly. I'm not a good enough liar to make No believable.

Sent from my XT907 using Firearms Talk mobile app
Sorry, Balota. Did not see this post before writing mine. You're in a tough spot.

I do not understand "Zero Tolerance" policies anywhere. To me, it's implemented so that no one has to be an adult and make a judgement call based on circumstance. As long as we have zero tolerance, no one gets any sort of trial or get to explain their circumstance. A woman who has a stalker shouldn't defend herself? A man threatened by a crazed neighbor and has a restraining order has no reason to carry a gun? Zero tolerance is a coward's way out.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 03-04-2014 at 11:31 AM.