Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Concealed carry - to and from work (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/concealed-carry-work-104703/)

ams556 03-04-2014 01:01 AM

Concealed carry - to and from work

I was out looking for a good car safe today for my girl.

She can't carry at work and their parking requires leaving the keys with a valet so they can move them if they have too. So she shouldn't just leave it in the car somewhere. So how do you handle this?

Is a safe the best option? I'd like here to carry more often.

MisterMcCool 03-04-2014 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ams556 (Post 1521436)
I was out looking for a good car safe today for my girl.

She can't carry at work and their parking requires leaving the keys with a valet so they can move them if they have to.

Is a safe the best option?

Seems like the only option. (That's an oxymoron.)

Balota 03-04-2014 01:18 AM

Valet is bonded, I hope? Nanovault works for me. But I don't know if I'd be comfortable giving someone the keys to my car with my gun in it.

Might want to consider installing the Nanovault in the trunk and lock up the gun someplace nearby to work so the existence of the gun does not become common knowledge among the valets. Problem is that nearby place becomes a habitual stop where someone could notice the daily transfer. Not sure there is a good solution.

partdeux 03-04-2014 02:01 AM

These look pretty solid
http://www.consolevault.com/

ams556 03-04-2014 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1521445)
Seems like the only option. (That's an oxymoron.)

Just looking for advice...

7point62 03-04-2014 10:59 AM

Concealed means nobody can see it. Who's gonna know unless you start blabbing about it? I'm not suggesting illegal behavior, but let's be logical. If you need a firearm for self-defense you are probably going to need it instantly. If it's locked in a safe in the trunk of your car 100 yards away it's useless. If one of your former co-workers gets disgruntled and decides to revisit the workplace for a little killing spree, what are you going to tell him? Hold your fire while I run out to the car to get my gun?

My suggestion...either carry it and shut up about it or leave it at home.

Balota 03-04-2014 11:13 AM

That's OK if you don't mind losing your job over it. I think most people are more likely to be detected than they are to be attacked. Some employers (like mine) have a zero tolerance policy. Gun in office = fired immediately and trespassing charges filed. Buildings with valet services often have upgraded security that can include metal detectors.

Also, if a person has been an active proponent of 2A in conversations at work, there is greater chance of being asked directly. I'm not a good enough liar to make No believable.

Sent from my XT907 using Firearms Talk mobile app

G30USMC 03-04-2014 11:18 AM

I would not leave my keys with anyone, when a gun is in the car

TekGreg 03-04-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7point62 (Post 1521706)
Concealed means nobody can see it. Who's gonna know unless you start blabbing about it? I'm not suggesting illegal behavior, but let's be logical. If you need a firearm for self-defense you are probably going to need it instantly. If it's locked in a safe in the trunk of your car 100 yards away it's useless. If one of your former co-workers gets disgruntled and decides to revisit the workplace for a little killing spree, what are you going to tell him? Hold your fire while I run out to the car to get my gun?

My suggestion...either carry it and shut up about it or leave it at home.

This falls under the "better judged by 12 than carried by 6" axiom. Either choose to disobey employer's rules and possibly state or local law, and suffer the consequences if caught, or accept the fact that obedience can get you killed.

But, if you are set on a safe, could she possibly, maybe as well as having one in the car, have a safe at work? Most people have no idea what they are and those that do are favorable to carry. My favorite are the Gunvault series, and the SpeedVault is used by my LGS for under desk and under counter. She could attach this to her desk securely and quickly on her own and no one would be the wiser.

I would still suggest a car safe for bank and post office visits, and if the valet finds it, it won't matter - he can't open it. Most valets don't care and just do their job, but even a nosey one won't get far. You can always tell people it's for a wallet or jewelry, or to securely hold registration info...away from nosey valets! :D

Edit: a safe that is opened with a key needs special consideration. The key can NEVER reside on the same ring with your car keys! Since you should also separate house and locker keys from a valet ring, this shouldn't be a problem since you need to carry two rings anyway. Those asking "Why?" Should realize when you valet park at work, you have just given your keys to the valet, who can then get your home address off of your car registration in the glove box or console and knows that you will not be home for at least eight hours (your work shift). This is all that is needed to clean you out. Hide registration in car safe and separate car keys from all others. ;)

TekGreg 03-04-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balota (Post 1521712)
That's OK if you don't mind losing your job over it. I think most people are more likely to be detected than they are to be attacked. Some employers (like mine) have a zero tolerance policy. Gun in office = fired immediately and trespassing charges filed. Buildings with valet services often have upgraded security that can include metal detectors.

Also, if a person has been an active proponent of 2A in conversations at work, there is greater chance of being asked directly. I'm not a good enough liar to make No believable.

Sent from my XT907 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Sorry, Balota. Did not see this post before writing mine. You're in a tough spot.

I do not understand "Zero Tolerance" policies anywhere. To me, it's implemented so that no one has to be an adult and make a judgement call based on circumstance. As long as we have zero tolerance, no one gets any sort of trial or get to explain their circumstance. A woman who has a stalker shouldn't defend herself? A man threatened by a crazed neighbor and has a restraining order has no reason to carry a gun? Zero tolerance is a coward's way out.