Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   concealed carry laws for truck drivers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/concealed-carry-laws-truck-drivers-43314/)

levelcross 06-01-2011 11:48 PM

concealed carry laws for truck drivers

Does anyone know the truth about the laws for truck drivers that want to carry a weapon with them on the road. The DOT doesn't even want to give an answer to this question. Every thread I have read seems to have a different answer, so this is quite confusing for me to say the least.

Yunus 06-01-2011 11:56 PM

Varies by state. Ask a lawyer. Don't trust the internet to offer legal advice.

Jesse17 06-01-2011 11:59 PM

Why would it be any different than for anyone else? Can't you just get a CWP that is accepted in the states you drive in like any non-truck driver?

dnthmn2004 06-02-2011 12:11 AM

I would seek out advise from a lawyer who specializes in firearms laws.

My opinion is that it is not possible. A CDL license is not that cool :rolleyes:
One would need to comply with every state they are driving through. Some states honor other states LTC. This may help Handgunlaw.us.

Telling a trooper, "Some guy on the interwebz told me I could" would not fly.

Car54 06-02-2011 12:23 AM

The company a driver is working for may have a policy against carrying weapons in their trucks and on their person. Also, the ICC on the federal level might have rules too.

I can say that most of the OTR drivers I have dealt with, and quite a few local drivers had a gun in the cab. I never messed with them about it figuring that being on the road so much, they had more of a likely chance to run across a problem to where a gun was needed. That isn't to say that all other cops close their eyes to guns though.

I had one occasion to arrest and confiscate a gun because the driver was stupid and threatened another driver with it over a road rage/parking lot incident.

Sniper03 06-02-2011 12:28 AM

levelcross,

The guys are correct. This would not be possible to give you a one answer response to this one. For the following reasons.
1. Does your Company allow drivers to carry
2. What State is your Personal Protection Permit issued
3. Does the State that you are driving through honor your State's Permit
4. Does the State you are in even have or honor Personal Protection Permits
5. Then State Laws is not only the consideration. You have City and or County laws that apply that are different from Federal and State Laws.

* You can see this is one big can of worms and impossible to give a simple answer. Because there is not one good answer.

And of course there is the also the mind set that I would rather be tried by 12 than buried by Six. A roll of the dice if you know what I mean.
I do not know about your CDL License regulations and Interstate Commerce regulations, whether or not it gives authorities the right to search a truck without probable cause? That is another situation.

freefall 06-02-2011 01:49 AM

There is no DOT or Federal law against having a gun in a commercial vehicle. There are many varied state laws against having a concealed weapon in any vehicle. Many trucking companies have policies against carrying weapons in their vehicles. You must follow the laws of the state you're in and decide if you're willing to violate company policy. If it was me, I think I'd have a couple of flare guns handy. They're safety equipment right? But I would think having one fired into his belly would really ruin a highjackers day.

556plinker 06-02-2011 02:27 AM

You only have to abide by the laws of the state with regard to transportation/carry. There is NO LAW or REGULATION set forth by the FMCSA prohibiting weapons in Semi-Trucks. If you have a CCW you can enjoy reciprocity in the appropriate states that share reciprocity with the state of issuance. In the Northeast MASS/NJ/NY you can get into trouble due to their state laws that are applicable to everyone and not truck drivers in particular. Basically, the law does not discriminate on the basis of your chosen vocation.

therewolf 06-07-2011 03:58 PM

Federal regulations require the firearm be locked up separately, and the ammo

be locked up separately.

In any state where firearms are not permitted, they may or may not follow this

Federal guideline.

IF I were a trucker, and tractor-trailer and it's contents

were my responsibility, I would seriously consider CCW.

556plinker 06-07-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 519144)
Federal regulations require the firearm be locked up separately, and the ammo

be locked up separately.

Please list that FEDERAL REGULATION so it will put everyone's mid at ease. TITLE 49 CFR XXX.XX........please let us know what it is! I contend that there is no such regulation but I have been wrong a time or two.