Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Concealed carry

Is there a federal law prohibiting concealed carry in a commercial vehicle? If so, what is the statute number and where can I find that law?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16811 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
Is there a federal law prohibiting concealed carry in a commercial vehicle? If so, what is the statute number and where can I find that law?
unless i am wrong, i don't think there is a statute against carrying a firearm in a commercial vehicle, under most circumstances. many times the prohibition is from the companies themselves that own the vehicles. usually company policies, not law that prohibits having a firearm.

IOW's, you probably wouldn't go to jail, but you would probably get fired if caught with one.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #3

Liked 255 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

There isn't a federal law prohibiting firearms in a commercial vehicle. As long as the company you work for says it is okay, you can have it. Where the problem comes in is state laws. The state you are in must honor your concealed carry permit. If you truck inside the state you live this won't be a problem, but for a OTR trucker, I dont know of any states that honor all 48 states permits. You also run into problems with the state of Illinois, and Washington DC.

*Disclaimer: Even though i do work in the heavy haul industry and try to stay up on the laws as best i can, I am not a lawyer, nor do I know everything. Do your own searching, and try to find it on your own. You yourself are responsible for obeying laws, no matter how foolish they are.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
A gun beside my bed I keep.
If I awake to find you inside,
A coroner van will be your last ride.

Last edited by Devin556; 08-22-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16811 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

another problem might be if the company goes into Mexico or Canada and you have a firearm in the vehicle.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #5

Also military bases. My grandfather has first hand experience on that one. Ports of entry also do not allow firearms. They seem to think that would make a good terrorist target.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1074 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Almost all of these posts emphasize the need for a national carry license. These truckers must have a hard time keeping up with what states will honor their permits. In the states that you can get an out of state permit like Florida, it takes more then an hour or two to get the application ready.

Truckers have a right of self defense, the same as the rest of us earth bound citizens. That should extend wherever they go.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

People Like This 
Old 08-26-2013, 04:54 AM   #7

Amen to that daoust. It would definitely make things a lot easier. My Alabama ccp is only covered in I believe only 26 states. It's pretty much impossible for an otr guy to carry.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #8

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I can sympathize with the situation of ORT truckers and others who travel a lot. On the other hand I would be very reluctant to have Washington take over CCW. All it would take is one democrat heavy election cycle and the entire country could be stripped of their CCW rights.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #9

Washington wouldn't have to take it over. All we need is a law stating all states must honor all the other states permits.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7554 Times on 3288 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

As stated the Commercial Motor Carrier regs do not prohibit. A lot of folks are convinced they do prohibit, but will not be able to find a reg.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Axxe55 Likes This