Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Concealed carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/concealed-carry-95836/)

markc 08-22-2013 12:38 AM

Concealed carry

Is there a federal law prohibiting concealed carry in a commercial vehicle? If so, what is the statute number and where can I find that law?

Axxe55 08-22-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markc (Post 1342467)
Is there a federal law prohibiting concealed carry in a commercial vehicle? If so, what is the statute number and where can I find that law?

unless i am wrong, i don't think there is a statute against carrying a firearm in a commercial vehicle, under most circumstances. many times the prohibition is from the companies themselves that own the vehicles. usually company policies, not law that prohibits having a firearm.

IOW's, you probably wouldn't go to jail, but you would probably get fired if caught with one.

Devin556 08-22-2013 12:48 AM

There isn't a federal law prohibiting firearms in a commercial vehicle. As long as the company you work for says it is okay, you can have it. Where the problem comes in is state laws. The state you are in must honor your concealed carry permit. If you truck inside the state you live this won't be a problem, but for a OTR trucker, I dont know of any states that honor all 48 states permits. You also run into problems with the state of Illinois, and Washington DC.

*Disclaimer: Even though i do work in the heavy haul industry and try to stay up on the laws as best i can, I am not a lawyer, nor do I know everything. Do your own searching, and try to find it on your own. You yourself are responsible for obeying laws, no matter how foolish they are.

Axxe55 08-22-2013 12:50 AM

another problem might be if the company goes into Mexico or Canada and you have a firearm in the vehicle.

Devin556 08-22-2013 12:56 AM

Also military bases. My grandfather has first hand experience on that one. Ports of entry also do not allow firearms. They seem to think that would make a good terrorist target.

Daoust_Nat 08-26-2013 03:10 AM

Almost all of these posts emphasize the need for a national carry license. These truckers must have a hard time keeping up with what states will honor their permits. In the states that you can get an out of state permit like Florida, it takes more then an hour or two to get the application ready.

Truckers have a right of self defense, the same as the rest of us earth bound citizens. That should extend wherever they go.

Devin556 08-26-2013 04:54 AM

Amen to that daoust. It would definitely make things a lot easier. My Alabama ccp is only covered in I believe only 26 states. It's pretty much impossible for an otr guy to carry.

mdauben 08-27-2013 12:16 AM

I can sympathize with the situation of ORT truckers and others who travel a lot. On the other hand I would be very reluctant to have Washington take over CCW. All it would take is one democrat heavy election cycle and the entire country could be stripped of their CCW rights. :(

Devin556 08-27-2013 03:50 AM

Washington wouldn't have to take it over. All we need is a law stating all states must honor all the other states permits.

c3shooter 08-27-2013 10:16 AM

As stated the Commercial Motor Carrier regs do not prohibit. A lot of folks are convinced they do prohibit, but will not be able to find a reg.