Comparing CC holders to First Responders? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Comparing CC holders to First Responders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 809 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If open carry is ever passed in Texas I would open carry using my level 3 retention holster so I wouldn't worry about someone snatching it

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 06-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #42

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
That may be true, that may be what you would do, but youre not supposed to or expected to do so.

Acting like a lone LEO without a backup could easily get you killed.
You haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about. You can't take California law and expect the rest of the US to follow it.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #43

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

Concealed carry is a huge responsibility. If you are not prepared to use it, you should not carry it. Defense of innocent people is a very important part of concealed carry. I do not carry a gun to be a big shot or a tough guy. I carry a gun to defend myself, my loved ones and anyone else that is an innocent victim.
I hope I never have to shoot anyone. But I would have a much worse time living with the fact that I ran away and could have saved lives, even at the cost of my own. I did not join the Army simply for a paycheck.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #44

Liked 27 Times on 14 Posts

" If you are not prepared to use it, you should not carry it. "

This is where you lost me. I have several carry permits from various states and not one of the applications asked or suggested such a thing.
No ones business what I may or may not be prepared to do. I decide what "I should do".
I carry... Period!
manta Likes This 
Old 06-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #45
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

CC holders are not first responders by any means. most are not trained or equipped to handle many of these types of situations.

every one of these situations will occur under different circumstances. the average permit holder just isn't trained to know how th react and respond to them like those trained in multiple different scenarios that could occur.

an off duty LE or those with previous combat experiance will more than likely respond much differently than the average person. they will know things to look for and how to read the situation much differently because of their training or prior experiance in similiar situations.

the laws in the state you are in can mean alot in how a situation is handled by the permit holder of a concealed gun. in my state, the state of Texas, we can use up to deadly force to defend or protect innocent lives in the commission of a felony act.

there are too many variables and different scenarios that could play out to have one concrete answer to what a person could or would do in such a situation. there is no one answer to this type of question. quite honestly, there isn't even a right or wrong answer to these types of questions, simply because if the events play out differently, or the situation changes beyond what a person would think or expect, then everything changes.

i would have to say, that if possible, there is no way i would allow someone to kill innocent people if i can do something to stop it. that is not being a badazz or a Rambo wannabe, or thinking i'm a first responder, but just being human and placing innocent lives ahead of some glory seeking killer.
People Like This 
Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
i would have to say, that if possible, there is no way i would allow someone to kill innocent people if i can do something to stop it. that is not being a badazz or a Rambo wannabe, or thinking i'm a first responder, but just being human and placing innocent lives ahead of some glory seeking killer.
I think most people hope in a situation where they could help they would, no one would want to stand by and watch people being killed and not help if possible. But that would be their choice, comments like they shouldn't be carrying if they don't do something is not helpful.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #47

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

The only duty I have is to stay out of the way unless I have a 100% chance of stopping the goblin. An off duty Durham police officer set a perfect example of how to handle an active shooter or a hostage situation. The goblin was distracted by someone in the crowd. The off duty officer slipped up behind the goblin and put one in his head from a range of six inches.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Concealed carry is a huge responsibility. If you are not prepared to use it, you should not carry it. Defense of innocent people is a very important part of concealed carry. I do not carry a gun to be a big shot or a tough guy. I carry a gun to defend myself, my loved ones and anyone else that is an innocent victim.
I hope I never have to shoot anyone. But I would have a much worse time living with the fact that I ran away and could have saved lives, even at the cost of my own. I did not join the Army simply for a paycheck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I think most people hope in a situation where they could help they would, no one would want to stand by and watch people being killed and not help if possible. But that would be their choice, comments like they shouldn't be carrying if they don't do something is not helpful.
Rick is exactly correct in what he said. if a person isn't prepared to use a deadly force if they carry a gun, they should not be carrying in the first place. the first innocent life they are protecting is themselves.

there are too many variables that can change the dynamics of the situation.

is the permit holder alone or does he have family or friends with him when something goes down?

are there multiple attackers and or just one and how are they armed? how is the permit holder armed? what are the shooting skills of the permit holder like?

what environment? is it enclosed or open areas? is there cover to use to shoot from if one decides to engage the attacker? has the attacker or attackers taken hostages?

is the attacker just randomly shooting? is he shooting from concealment? is the attacker protected by body armor? what distances are the attackers adn do you have a clear shot?

how many injured are there? how many dead? how many people are in the area of the attack? are they adults or children?

now start moving or changing these variables around and how we react or respond may change. as i said, there is no one answer that covers everything here. it's just not possible.

carrying a firearm and using it may be a right, but it's also a responsiblity that burdens those who do carry and take that seriously. you are also responsible for every round you fire. what if a person decides to engage the shooter and misses, but hits an innocent person? that would be a huge burden to have to carry around for the rest of your life.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Rick is exactly correct in what he said. if a person isn't prepared to use a deadly force if they carry a gun, they should not be carrying in the first place. the first innocent life they are protecting is themselves.
You are right there is no point in carrying if you are not willing to use it to defend yourself or family. There is a difference in that and saying you shouldn't be carrying if you are not willing to get involved in a situation that's nothing to do with you, putting yourself in danger and possibly others not all shots go where they are intended. A domestic situation for example you shoot someone next thing the person asking for your help is accusing you of murdering their husband.
Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
You are right there is no point in carrying if you are not willing to use it to defend yourself or family. There is a difference in that and saying you shouldn't be carrying if you are not willing to get involved in a situation that's nothing to do with you, putting yourself in danger and possibly others not all shots go where they are intended. A domestic situation for example you shoot someone next thing the person asking for your help is accusing you of murdering their husband.
every situation is different. some situations may even be better if you are acting as a witness and informing LE of the situation and letting them handle it. you may only have a split second to make a decision that you may have to life with the rest of your life.

there have also been instances where someone engaged an attacker, only to be prosecuted for doing so. cited that they should have left it for LE to do their jobs.
People Like This