Comparing CC holders to First Responders? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Comparing CC holders to First Responders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
It is legal in Colorado. And if I were on the scene when it started I would try to stop them. That is why I carry...to protect myself, my loved ones and if necessary other innocent people.
That may be true, that may be what you would do, but youre not supposed to or expected to do so.

Acting like a lone LEO without a backup could easily get you killed.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
CC holders are not first responders though. There is no training related to situational preparedness or combat skills required in order to get a permit in any state that I know of. Quite to the contrary, most of the coursework involved for those states that require such a thing focuses on the legal issues surrounding the use of your weapon in a self defense situation.

I have no doubt that you are or believe you are properly trained and would not make a situation much worse by your actions. I believe a majority of concealed carry permit holders are not prepared to be of assistance in situations such as these. All I can say is, based on your remarks I sure hope you have a good lawyer on retainer!
Not just a lawyer (like Zimmerman in Fla.), but medical insurance.

Most people feel like they are immortal. A bullet wound will change that fantasy fast.

LEO's carefully and regularly train for this, with their superior numbers.

A lone ranger would not last long out there.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #43
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2742 Times on 1333 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

I think what I perceive from all the comments previous. I would never want to stand by and watch innocent people massacred if I could possibly terminate the threat or threats. However, as I think John Deer was referring to is it is important first of all to be trained and mentally prepared to engage a threat! For some who have never been there and done it they have no perception of when bullets start flying or what they would do under the circumstances. Even those who have may act differently to various situations and should! However, even the best trained and experienced individuals must use common sense and pick our fight. Unless ultimate surprise is possible, it would be ludicrous to go up against a shotgun or and AR type weapon with a 380 pistol for example in the open. And then for example if the aggressor is not shooting people and a store was crowded it might be best to observe and not cause an all out gun battle that might result in possible death or serious injuries to innocent employees and customers. That is also one reason I prefer conceal carry. The element of surprise and not to be immediately identified as a target to be neutralized on sight! As stated we need to pick our battles and assure the ability to survive the confrontation as well as protect others. No one situation would have the same circumstances! So to say I would do this and do that we can not say because it should depend on the circumstances of the specific incident as stated above.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-15-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #44

The only issue around open carry is that you can draw your weapon about 3/4th second faster, but on the other hand you also need to worry more about someone else grabbing it away from you, particularly from behind. So I don't see this as an open carry issue. There is a time and a place for open carry, and it when you are --

- among a bunch of others who are also open carrying (rare);

- you are travelling on the open road with your car;

- you are hiking in open country;

- you are hunting;

- you are camping.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If open carry is ever passed in Texas I would open carry using my level 3 retention holster so I wouldn't worry about someone snatching it

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #46

Liked 2030 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
That may be true, that may be what you would do, but youre not supposed to or expected to do so.

Acting like a lone LEO without a backup could easily get you killed.
You haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about. You can't take California law and expect the rest of the US to follow it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #47

Liked 2030 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Concealed carry is a huge responsibility. If you are not prepared to use it, you should not carry it. Defense of innocent people is a very important part of concealed carry. I do not carry a gun to be a big shot or a tough guy. I carry a gun to defend myself, my loved ones and anyone else that is an innocent victim.
I hope I never have to shoot anyone. But I would have a much worse time living with the fact that I ran away and could have saved lives, even at the cost of my own. I did not join the Army simply for a paycheck.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #48

Liked 27 Times on 14 Posts

" If you are not prepared to use it, you should not carry it. "

This is where you lost me. I have several carry permits from various states and not one of the applications asked or suggested such a thing.
No ones business what I may or may not be prepared to do. I decide what "I should do".
I carry... Period!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #49
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

CC holders are not first responders by any means. most are not trained or equipped to handle many of these types of situations.

every one of these situations will occur under different circumstances. the average permit holder just isn't trained to know how th react and respond to them like those trained in multiple different scenarios that could occur.

an off duty LE or those with previous combat experiance will more than likely respond much differently than the average person. they will know things to look for and how to read the situation much differently because of their training or prior experiance in similiar situations.

the laws in the state you are in can mean alot in how a situation is handled by the permit holder of a concealed gun. in my state, the state of Texas, we can use up to deadly force to defend or protect innocent lives in the commission of a felony act.

there are too many variables and different scenarios that could play out to have one concrete answer to what a person could or would do in such a situation. there is no one answer to this type of question. quite honestly, there isn't even a right or wrong answer to these types of questions, simply because if the events play out differently, or the situation changes beyond what a person would think or expect, then everything changes.

i would have to say, that if possible, there is no way i would allow someone to kill innocent people if i can do something to stop it. that is not being a badazz or a Rambo wannabe, or thinking i'm a first responder, but just being human and placing innocent lives ahead of some glory seeking killer.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 560 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
i would have to say, that if possible, there is no way i would allow someone to kill innocent people if i can do something to stop it. that is not being a badazz or a Rambo wannabe, or thinking i'm a first responder, but just being human and placing innocent lives ahead of some glory seeking killer.
I think most people hope in a situation where they could help they would, no one would want to stand by and watch people being killed and not help if possible. But that would be their choice, comments like they shouldn't be carrying if they don't do something is not helpful.