Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Coming "Out of the Closet is liberating!"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3763 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Default Coming "Out of the Closet is liberating!"

Yesterday I attended my first "open carry" rally!

Open Carry Vancouver made the news a few months back when they drew 100 or so OC activists to Caffe Villa Coffee Shop on NE 4th Plain Blvd.

I checked out there Facebook page and decided to attend the second event.

The most striking thing I noticed was the absolute lack of bravado by anyone and the complete lack of LEO presence... did not see a single Cop despite the coffee shop sharing a parking lot with a very busy 24 HR Fitness.

All were Friendly and the Hilight was getting to meet Sherrif Mack who I was very surprised to see at such a small event.

I will admit that exiting my truck to stroll across the parking lot with a Kimber strapped to my right hip and a dual mag pouch on the left was an interesting feeling despite 17 of concealed EDC.

Not being an "activist" at heart, I don't think I'll be strolling about OC style with a camera... Not my cup of tea... But I've gained a new respect for those who do.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 04-28-2013 at 04:09 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 677

We had a similar event in Haleyville last month and I and the Sheriff attended. I met some REALLY good folks. I do not open carry and advice against it for tactical reasons, but I support the RIGHT 100%!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #3

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I think OC in a metropolitan area is counterproductive, finger-in-their-eye, misplaced effort. Mack is an interesting guy although a disgruntled anarchist. Good you got out and got involved though Tack. Try a TEA Party event next instead maybe to primarily carry a sign or flag instead?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I think OC in a metropolitan area is counterproductive, finger-in-their-eye, misplaced effort. Mack is an interesting guy although a disgruntled anarchist. Good you got out and got involved though Tack. Try a TEA Party event next instead maybe to primarily carry a sign or flag instead?
The location of this event really could not be described as "Metropolitan". More like the "outskirts" and no where near the downtown core.

I too question the value of lone OCers strutting through a mall or downtown core with an AR15 on there back but this was quite different. A planned event so LEO's knew it was Comming, at a private business who welcomed the rally and the dollars we brought in.

My research into this group and the nature of there attitudes is why I chose to check them out.

Tack
Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
We had a similar event in Haleyville last month and I and the Sheriff attended. I met some REALLY good folks. I do not open carry and advice against it for tactical reasons, but I support the RIGHT 100%!
I've always stayed away from it as well for the same tactical reasons but it's occured to me that I've never seen or heard of a single incident where a nut job opened fire in the presence of an openly armed citizen.

Thats either an extreme lucky streak... or perhaps the criminals and cooks simply leave and seek a softer target?

I'm thinking there is a strong deterrent value in the vicinity of the openly armed citizen.

Tack
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

Liked 740 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 958

I have become really comfortable with open carry. Everybody OCs at the shop, to and from the shop. So if i need to stop for something on the way home,etc. I really dont even think about it. I live in a rural area, and see other people around town OC, So no big deal where i live.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

People Like This 
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 577 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I totally agree with Hock on this one "misplaced effort"! In todays misinformed society OP is counter productive at best! This present society is being indoctrinated to fear all and any fire-arm! its perfectly legal to open carry in my area (ME, NH, VT.) but it is far from prudent, most people recoil at the sight of someone carrying openly and call the police who must in turn respond to the call!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

therewolf Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Stop and think about it and 'we' are taking a part from the progressive playbook. What they do is first 'normalize' their position them they 'legalize' it. Is many people starting to OC going to make it the norm? If we normalize it in some areas it will be able to be legalized in others. We did this with CC. When many jurisdictions who were against CC saw it was not a problem and did not manifest into the 'old west gunfight' they made it legal.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
I totally agree with Hock on this one "misplaced effort"! In todays misinformed society OP is counter productive at best! This present society is being indoctrinated to fear all and any fire-arm! its perfectly legal to open carry in my area (ME, NH, VT.) but it is far from prudent, most people recoil at the sight of someone carrying openly and call the police who must in turn respond to the call!
Sure... But the ensuing police contact is not the fault of the person exercising there civil liberties. It's not even the fault of the Cop who's been trained to be a good little storm trooper and check out a citizen who's engaging in no illegal activity.

The problem is the perception of the "sheep" and the piss poor training of 911 operators.

Rather than saying "yes Sir, we'll get an officer out there ASAP", they should be telling the caller that OC is perfectly legal, asking some qualifying questions and asking them call back if the "subject" does anything threatening.

People hell bent on mayhem don't walk down the street with a holstered pistol on there hip or a slung longarm on there back.

I don't see myself doing this but I appreciate those who do.

Civil dissobedience has been used by the left for decades to challenge social norms and usher is change, some good, some not so good, so I see no reason to condemn those who use it for 2A awareness.

Tack
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 927 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I'm thinking there is a strong deterrent value in the vicinity of the openly armed citizen.

Tack

"An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert Heinlein
People Like This