Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Come to Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 252 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Talking Come to Louisiana

Voters Approve Constitutional Changes Protecting Gun Rights
Louisiana now has the strongest constitutional protections for the ownership of firearms in the nation, thanks to a constitutional amendment approved on November 6.

The requirement that courts use "strict scrutiny" when evaluating the constitutionality of gun laws passed with 74% of voters approving the constitutional change. The law codifies in the constitution the standard used by the U.S. Supreme Court when evaluating gun laws, requiring the most stringent standard be used when determining whether regulations infringe on the right to keep and bear arms. Also, the changes to the amendment eliminates constitutional language specifically allowing the Legislature to regulate concealed weapons.

Under strict scrutiny, regulations must be narrowly tailored to fit a public purpose and it would be up to the government to prove that regulations were constitutional, rather than requiring opponents of a measure prove that the law violates the constitution.

This is a HUGE victory for gun owners in Louisiana and makes our constitutional protections the envy of gun owners in every other state.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5502 Times on 3116 Posts
Likes Given: 4780

Congratulations on getting this passed.

We're having a lot better luck now that we're fighting state by state instead of at the federal level.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I can't remember if you were the one I was discussing this with or not...
Does this mean I can legally conceal carry without a permit now? Has it been decided?
I do intend to get a permit soon, but money doesn't permit at the moment. One thing I do like is that Louisiana requires a safety training course. The fact that it's required, I hate. But the fact that I know our citizens with CCW permits are trained in safety and marksmanship, I love. Not everyone is a vet, retired LEO, or grew up around guns.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 88

As far as CCW without a permit is concerned, I can't answer that. I have heard rumors to that effect, but nothing substantiated.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #5

Well as soon as you hear anything that can be confirmed, let us know please. I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open too, and will return the favor.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I can't remember if you were the one I was discussing this with or not...
Does this mean I can legally conceal carry without a permit now? Has it been decided?
I do intend to get a permit soon, but money doesn't permit at the moment. One thing I do like is that Louisiana requires a safety training course. The fact that it's required, I hate. But the fact that I know our citizens with CCW permits are trained in safety and marksmanship, I love. Not everyone is a vet, retired LEO, or grew up around guns.
The safety training course is worth every penny. It's not the range time that is worth the money. Knowing exactly what the law is and how the law is applied in your home state is worth the cost of the training course. Many of the laws you will know but some myths will be debunked as well.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #7

Unfortunately, other myths are sometimes propagated at concealed carry courses by instructors who really don't know jack.

This is why I like Opencarry.org, and several other sites. They list links to state statutes along with their interpretation of laws.

Also, public libraries are always a great resource. I keep practically screaming it over and over, a library card can be one of your most valuable possessions. Many libraries have law collections in their archives. And anyone who can read (all of us here for sure, how else would we be able to communicate?) can use them.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5502 Times on 3116 Posts
Likes Given: 4780

AFAIK, only Alaska, Wyoming and Vermont allow CCW without a permit.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #9

Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
AFAIK, only Alaska, Wyoming and Vermont allow CCW without a permit.
I though arizona was included. Iirc.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I would like to know what your new ruling means? What does it allow you to do? Will you become a Free State? Alaska,Arizona and Wyoming are the only Free States in the Nation. New Hampshire will not issue a Permit for its residents to traval to other states. I don't consider that to be a Free State.