Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Come to Louisiana (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/come-louisiana-78252/)

jgoertz 12-11-2012 09:45 PM

Come to Louisiana

Voters Approve Constitutional Changes Protecting Gun Rights
Louisiana now has the strongest constitutional protections for the ownership of firearms in the nation, thanks to a constitutional amendment approved on November 6.

The requirement that courts use "strict scrutiny" when evaluating the constitutionality of gun laws passed with 74% of voters approving the constitutional change. The law codifies in the constitution the standard used by the U.S. Supreme Court when evaluating gun laws, requiring the most stringent standard be used when determining whether regulations infringe on the right to keep and bear arms. Also, the changes to the amendment eliminates constitutional language specifically allowing the Legislature to regulate concealed weapons.

Under strict scrutiny, regulations must be narrowly tailored to fit a public purpose and it would be up to the government to prove that regulations were constitutional, rather than requiring opponents of a measure prove that the law violates the constitution.

This is a HUGE victory for gun owners in Louisiana and makes our constitutional protections the envy of gun owners in every other state.

locutus 12-11-2012 10:14 PM

Congratulations on getting this passed.

We're having a lot better luck now that we're fighting state by state instead of at the federal level.

trip286 12-11-2012 10:19 PM

I can't remember if you were the one I was discussing this with or not...
Does this mean I can legally conceal carry without a permit now? Has it been decided?
I do intend to get a permit soon, but money doesn't permit at the moment. One thing I do like is that Louisiana requires a safety training course. The fact that it's required, I hate. But the fact that I know our citizens with CCW permits are trained in safety and marksmanship, I love. Not everyone is a vet, retired LEO, or grew up around guns.

jgoertz 12-11-2012 10:28 PM

As far as CCW without a permit is concerned, I can't answer that. I have heard rumors to that effect, but nothing substantiated.

trip286 12-11-2012 10:32 PM

Well as soon as you hear anything that can be confirmed, let us know please. I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open too, and will return the favor.

John_Deer 12-11-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1048253)
I can't remember if you were the one I was discussing this with or not...
Does this mean I can legally conceal carry without a permit now? Has it been decided?
I do intend to get a permit soon, but money doesn't permit at the moment. One thing I do like is that Louisiana requires a safety training course. The fact that it's required, I hate. But the fact that I know our citizens with CCW permits are trained in safety and marksmanship, I love. Not everyone is a vet, retired LEO, or grew up around guns.

The safety training course is worth every penny. It's not the range time that is worth the money. Knowing exactly what the law is and how the law is applied in your home state is worth the cost of the training course. Many of the laws you will know but some myths will be debunked as well.

trip286 12-11-2012 10:40 PM

Unfortunately, other myths are sometimes propagated at concealed carry courses by instructors who really don't know jack.

This is why I like Opencarry.org, and several other sites. They list links to state statutes along with their interpretation of laws.

Also, public libraries are always a great resource. I keep practically screaming it over and over, a library card can be one of your most valuable possessions. Many libraries have law collections in their archives. And anyone who can read (all of us here for sure, how else would we be able to communicate?) can use them.

locutus 12-11-2012 11:33 PM

AFAIK, only Alaska, Wyoming and Vermont allow CCW without a permit.

kytowboater 12-11-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus
AFAIK, only Alaska, Wyoming and Vermont allow CCW without a permit.

I though arizona was included. Iirc.

nitestalker 12-11-2012 11:58 PM

I would like to know what your new ruling means? What does it allow you to do? Will you become a Free State? Alaska,Arizona and Wyoming are the only Free States in the Nation. New Hampshire will not issue a Permit for its residents to traval to other states. I don't consider that to be a Free State.