Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Colorado Man Arrested for Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Colorado Man Arrested for Open Carry

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/colorado-man-arrested-openly-carrying-gun-movie-theater-193011379.html

Looks like Cities like Aurora in Colorado do have laws against carry permits.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #2

Liked 1653 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

double post

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 07-31-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #3

Liked 1653 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

Oops, I stand corrected. A municipality can outlaw open carry within buildings.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 07-31-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #4

Liked 157 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Thats ridiculous, doesn't Colorado have a law saying city law cannot contradict state law?

Old 07-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
Thats ridiculous, doesn't Colorado have a law saying city law cannot contradict state law?
Yes. And if a place denies carry they are required to have security on duty and metal detectors. This is why I was calling for a class action suit against Aurora and the movie theater.

I don't need No stinking signature.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5131 Times on 2926 Posts
Likes Given: 4339

I hope the victim sues the citty.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Colorado does have a "Preemption" clause in the CCW law that disallows local laws against legal concealed carry as prescribed by the State "Shall Issue". As for open carry, that has been legal in Colorado for a long time. Good luck getting any "public servants" prosecuted for violating the preemption clause or any other 2A related laws. Open carry is an invitation for police attention in many cities, mostly because whinning citizens say they feel threatened by them. I've always wanted to ask the police to remove a few thuggy looking ganster wanabes from the area because I feel threatened by them, and see how long it takes the National Poverty Pimps to fly in and call me racist.
We had a local case in a small city where an old feller with an openly carried single action six shooter was sitting in the park and became the subject of "fear and loathing" of citizens. The PD came, disarmed him, and sent him away to pick up his gun later. He sued the city and won. He was apparently "making a statement" and fishing for the very response he got. I have my own opinions about making statements and fishing for response, and personally that would not be my tactic, but I guess someone has to challenge the status quo. As for the laws in Aurora, it seems to be accepted in Colorado for cities to stop open carry. It sounds to me like the theater's policy against concealed carry is just that, a policy, not a law. If you are CCW and they find out (I don't know how), they can ask you to leave and if you don't comply you could be charged with trespassing. Thats a way different deal than a felony charge for say carrying into a court room. Personally, if a business says they don't want my money, I am happy to oblige them.

Last edited by locnload; 07-31-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5131 Times on 2926 Posts
Likes Given: 4339

This is an interesting discussion, but my question is: "Why would you want to carry openly?"

We've always had that right in Wyoming, and nobody carried openly.

We've been fighting for a hundred years for the right to carry CONCEALED.

Open carry makes you look like a "macho wannabe" to the public, and just invites some thug to get the drop on you from behind and steal your gun.

We should have the right to carry openly, of course, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to do it.

What am I missing?

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #9

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Good luck getting any "public servants" prosecuted for violating the preemption clause or any other 2A related laws.
Didn't they do just this by arresting this guy for open carry?? In the link above, he openly carried in a movie theater and was Arrested. What am I missing here?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #10

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
This is an interesting discussion, but my question is: "Why would you want to carry openly?"

We've always had that right in Wyoming, and nobody carried openly.

We've been fighting for a hundred years for the right to carry CONCEALED.

Open carry makes you look like a "macho wannabe" to the public, and just invites some thug to get the drop on you from behind and steal your gun.

We should have the right to carry openly, of course, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to do it.

What am I missing?
I would actually prefer that all openly carried. I feel more comfortable knowing who has a firearm on them than trying see them printing or guessing

Unlike the folks and officers mentioned in the article I do not wet my pants when in sight of a firearm and what the hell kind of vague bs law is this anyhow

Quote:
Section 38-237(b)(1) of Thornton's Municipal Code, under which Mapes was booked, reads: "It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess on or about the person or within such person's immediate reach any dangerous weapon."
So I guess that rules out just about anything a person can get their hand on?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 07-31-2012 at 11:17 PM.