Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   -Colorado- CBI - Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/colorado-cbi-question-29518/)

ShoganCO 07-20-2010 07:38 PM

-Colorado- CBI - Question

I am a former USAF Combat Veteran and have lived in Colorado Since 1999. I've never had any infraction greater than a speeding ticket four years ago and yet when I went into Cabelas to purchase a Moss Shotgun, CBI denied my right to purchase a weapon? It's not like I don't already own weapons?

Anyone have any idea why I would be denied? I carry a high level DoD clearance as well which is current. I filed my petition so I am guessing I will know within the next 30 days regardless. I found it a little irritating and even a bit embarrassing.

Dillinger 07-20-2010 08:01 PM

Welcome to the FTF Community and Thank You for your service to our Country.

Some might like you to stop by the Introductions and tell us a little about yourself. That is up to you, but it let's people know you are here to stay. :)

Denials can happen for many reasons, not the least of which are just a quick glance by an overworked department employee.

Did you include your SS# on your form or leave it blank? Leaving it blank is what most people WANT to do, instinctively, but usually if there is a delay or a denial, that is what we see in the shop.

Are you a new resident to Colorado? If so, that can be a problem also. Recent change of permanent address has been seen as a red flag, especially if the move is extensive ( hot to snowy climate, across country, Alaska to Maine, that sort of thing ).

It's also possible that Cabela's made an error in their submittal.

I would wait for the paperwork request as to why to come back and see what the "excuse" is. I am betting it was because someone did a cursory look and didn't go any further.

JD

IDVague 07-20-2010 08:13 PM

Welcome ShoganCO....I wonder how long it has been since you bought a firearm in CO, or is this perhaps the first since moving to the state? In any event, you have stated no reason to expect denial, I suspect an error or an over-zealous bureaucrat paper-shuffler.

ShoganCO 07-20-2010 08:23 PM

Thank you for the welcome and I will get over to the Introductions forum and post a "Hello" :) I did put my SSN on the form as requested and we have lived here since 1999 so I've no idea why I'd be pushed to the curb. I literaly just went thru a recent PSI for a security clearance upgrade that was fairly brutal on both my wife and I.

I'm fairly certain I don't have a multiple personnality disorder aka, evil side doing bad things. :) I'm sure I will find out the reason why. My father also told me CBI isn't real good on maintaining accurate records. If they would use the OPM's database they would have all they need to know about me.

ShoganCO 07-20-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDVague (Post 317897)
Welcome ShoganCO....I wonder how long it has been since you bought a firearm in CO, or is this perhaps the first since moving to the state? In any event, you have stated no reason to expect denial, I suspect an error or an over-zealous bureaucrat paper-shuffler.

Last firearm purchase I made was in Az 1992. Was wondering about that. I think CBI maintains fingerprint cards, I'm fairly sure they don't have prints for me.....

bkt 07-20-2010 08:36 PM

Maybe your name is the same or similar to others' who are on a watch list. Maybe they were backlogged and didn't get a response in time, or their systems were down when your check was called in (that happened to me). There are any number of reasons why you could get denied that have no bearing on you personally.

This is a garden-variety NICS check, right? That shotgun is yours after three days (not 30) unless they respond with a reason why you were denied.

Update: Sorry. CBI pertains to Colorado, right? All bets are off.

ShoganCO 07-20-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 317906)
Maybe your name is the same or similar to others' who are on a watch list. Maybe they were backlogged and didn't get a response in time, or their systems were down when your check was called in (that happened to me). There are any number of reasons why you could get denied that have no bearing on you personally.

This is a garden-variety NICS check, right? That shotgun is yours after three days (not 30) unless they respond with a reason why you were denied.

Update: Sorry. CBI pertains to Colorado, right? All bets are off.

That sounds ominous

CBI have a repution? You are right on the BGC, in fact, I'd have had the weapon within 45min if I had not been denied. It was also on a Sunday. :)

bkt 07-20-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoganCO (Post 317922)
That sounds ominous

CBI have a repution?

Nope, not at all. It means I have no clue about Colorado laws around whatever checks they perform for the purchase of a long gun. If all they do is the standard national NICS check, then check back in three days. If it's something other than NICS, then call the sheriff or local cop shop and ask them what the law says.

c3shooter 07-21-2010 11:54 PM

FWIW, the Chief of Police of Denver- back about 98- was denied on purchase of a handgun. CBI does inspire a great deal of confidence in me. As I am certain you know, they CAN request prints from you, and have 30 calendar days to answer an appeal of a denial.

OTOH, imagine if you were some poor schmuck with a name like Charlie (Manson), or John (Hinckley) or Richard (Shoebomber) Reid.

My condolences on the SBI. At one time, I had to maintain a PRP- glad that is over. Questions on "Has any member of your family ever advocated the overthrow of the government of the United States?" Hmmmm- do I tell them about the Cherokee ancestors that rode with Stand Wattie? Great Grandad- Corporal with the 1st VA Infantry (CSA) ??? :D

CA357 07-22-2010 01:25 AM

I had a denial last year. I called the CA DOJ and it was cleared up with a ten minute phone call. Probably a similar situation there.

Don't sweat it, it's likely a fumbling bureaucracy at work. There will be some one to contact. Just jump through the hoop and you should be fine.

BTW, I'm a former Zoomie, '67 - '71. ;)