Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Civility Works Both Ways

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,793
Liked 1454 Times on 1015 Posts
Likes Given: 731

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
There is a problem, though. Although South Carolina laws pretty well favor gun rights, if you enter a place with a proper sign posted indicating guns are not permitted, it is a felony with a mandatory 5 year sentence. So it is better not to press your luck. But the places that do post such a sign will find their customer (and cash) flow will be greatly decreased.
Of course I defer to those who know the local law. There's no such law around here, but CCW are prohibited at the bars serving liquor. So if I went to eat at a restaurant and found a queue inside, I'd need to go back and lock up the gun before entering the bar. And I do. Not because I am such a good boy. Because I'd have a coupla drinks and then, who knows, the gun goes peekaboo, or someone touches it, whatever, there is too much to lose. I do feel uncomfortable sometimes around certain types, but choose the lesser evil, and just don't go to seedy looking places.
__________________
"You can't reason with a flying crowbar"
Mercator is offline  
kfox75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #42
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,078
Liked 2821 Times on 1936 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Of course I defer to those who know the local law. There's no such law around here, but CCW are prohibited at the bars serving liquor. So if I went to eat at a restaurant and found a queue inside, I'd need to go back and lock up the gun before entering the bar. And I do. Not because I am such a good boy. Because I'd have a coupla drinks and then, who knows, the gun goes peekaboo, or someone touches it, whatever, there is too much to lose. I do feel uncomfortable sometimes around certain types, but choose the lesser evil, and just don't go to seedy looking places.

So we wouldn't "find you at the, The Spanish Moon,....."( A little tune written and performed by Little Feat...)


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #43
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Erie County PA,
Posts: 2,433
Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I like the thinking on this, but I will caution anyone who chooses to do this to check their local and state laws before doing so. In some places these signs do bear the weight of law, and one can be arrested for ignoring them. In places where this is the case, there are size and placement laws as to what is valid, and what is not.

And yes, I do agree with Merc on this, concealed means concealed. If you do it right, no one will know you are carrying until the need to use it presents it's self. All I am saying is CYA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
There is a problem, though. Although South Carolina laws pretty well favor gun rights, if you enter a place with a proper sign posted indicating guns are not permitted, it is a felony with a mandatory 5 year sentence. So it is better not to press your luck. But the places that do post such a sign will find their customer (and cash) flow will be greatly decreased.
The answer to that question is in my quoted post above. Know and follow the laws in your city\village\town, county, state, etc. Know and obey the laws regarding where you can CC, and you are generally good to go.

In NY, those signs don't carry the weight of law, but where you can not carry is a fairly small list. Government buildings, hospitals, schools, and school functions are pretty much it. Everywhere else is fair game, but CC is the only carry option in the state. If you even print, you will get in trouble on the hard side, or asked to leave if you are somewhere with understanding management. Not sure on PA yet, as to where. Still looking up that information, I do know that OC is a gray area (there are no laws that say you can, but there are none that say you can't), CCLs are $20 for 5 years, and a state issued pistol hunting licence is required for someone over 18 YOA to hunt with a handgun. By the time I finish moving in at the Erie house, i will know the go\no go laws.

Point is, if you know your laws it is easy to CYA and stay out of trouble. Mercator's post also sums this up pretty well.
__________________

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

kfox75 is offline  
locutus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,793
Liked 1454 Times on 1015 Posts
Likes Given: 731

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
So we wouldn't "find you at the, The Spanish Moon,....."( A little tune written and performed by Little Feat...)


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
Doesn't sound like family dining... Prolly not
__________________
"You can't reason with a flying crowbar"
Mercator is offline  
kfox75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,511
Liked 1165 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1741

Default

As gun owners, whether or not our decisions are dictated by the law, we are still accountable for them. And we owe it to each other to act as checks on bad behavior before the legal system steps in and does it for us. If we exercise poor judgment, our decisions will have consequences. These consequences could be simple and transitory, such as watching a trophy buck bound away into the woods after a missed shot from an improperly sighted rifle. They could also be lasting and consequential, such as turning an undecided voter into an antigun voter because of causing that person fear or offense. In ways small and large, we are all in this together, and we all have a role to play in preserving our cherished freedoms for ourselves and future generations.
Kelly Spika, NRA Spokesperson

__________________
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Something i have ways wondered... SRK97 General Rifle Discussion 9 02-21-2013 10:26 PM
The new civility. freefall Politics, Religion and Controversy 24 07-17-2011 10:32 PM
Now I go both ways... bgeddes General Handgun Discussion 7 03-06-2009 01:32 AM



Newest Threads