Civility Works Both Ways
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Civility Works Both Ways

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Post Civility Works Both Ways

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd04/civility-works-both-ways.htm

Cnon

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #2

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I don't know if I have, or even need,

"the right to feel safe". I do, however, live in a neighborhood

where EVERYBODY OWNS GUNS.

ZERO CRIME RATE ASIDE, I feel safer than

in my mother's womb.

Suck on that, Chicago-boy.

Last edited by therewolf; 04-23-2014 at 06:35 AM.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I don't know if I have, or even need,

"the right to feel safe". I do, however, live in a neighborhood

where EVERYBODY OWNS GUNS.

ZERO CRIME RATE ASIDE, I feel safer than

in my mother's womb.

Suck on that, Chicago-boy.
well said.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

A great organization. I urge all of you to consider a membership. JPFO's Charlie Heller was our very first Guest on the Podcast. I have been a member ever since...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Good take on the Starbucks fiasco, a position I agree with. Never heard of JPFO before; glad to hear of them now.

People Like This 
Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6877 Times on 3453 Posts
Likes Given: 7460

Standing righteous instead indignant is most effective. I learned a long time ago that its easy to make enemies where there were none before if were not more careful at delivering the message than they are at killing the messenger! I never cower from the subject of 2A but I wont beat anyone to death with it either. Starbucks danced and it was perceived by sides as a challenge. One must be careful when they enter the ring, you never know what will happen, this time Starbucks sided towards those that probably spend the most money in their stores and its probably not those of us that spend more time in the woods, fields and streams than internet cafe's with Mocha Choka Latte's talking about fab fashions!

The Libs offend me daily (I work in a liberal arts university), I wont give them the satisfaction of being able to say I offend them for any good reason. The only way to beat down bad is to be better than bad at doing right and thats not all that tough. And as a wise person onced said, "Never argue with an Idiot, Nobody will know which one of you is the Idiot!"...

Old 04-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #7

Liked 314 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Courtesy and civility are sorely lacking in toady's America. I personally think that it really got bad when the Progressive habit of shouting down dissenting opinion and speech that dose not support their agenda became common and unremarked upon. I am going to be turning 40 this year and I can remember a time when a person would be face censure and would be ignored if they continually shouted down opposition opinions. Now however, it is simply "The way it is done". There is no winning a debate with a Progressive, there is only surviving it because they can't and won't debate on the facts unless they have manipulated the "facts" into something that supports their flawed world view.

They (Progressives) will lie, they will cheat and they will steal. So for us who are the silent majority, society has reached a point where it is no longer possible to hold a civil discourse with our Glorious Progressive Leaders or their stooges. That said, we have no choice but to continue to proceed in a polite and civil manner at all times. Hopefully, we can sway a few of the folks from the center to our side by being the sort of folks that the Founders would have approved of.

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949
People Like This 
Old 04-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #8

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingMind
Courtesy and civility are sorely lacking in toady's America. I personally think that it really got bad when the Progressive habit of shouting down dissenting opinion and speech that dose not support their agenda became common and unremarked upon. I am going to be turning 40 this year and I can remember a time when a person would be face censure and would be ignored if they continually shouted down opposition opinions. Now however, it is simply "The way it is done". There is no winning a debate with a Progressive, there is only surviving it because they can't and won't debate on the facts unless they have manipulated the "facts" into something that supports their flawed world view.

They (Progressives) will lie, they will cheat and they will steal. So for us who are the silent majority, society has reached a point where it is no longer possible to hold a civil discourse with our Glorious Progressive Leaders or their stooges. That said, we have no choice but to continue to proceed in a polite and civil manner at all times. Hopefully, we can sway a few of the folks from the center to our side by being the sort of folks that the Founders would have approved of.
I do think we can help ourselves by NOT falling prey to their ways. We should not refer to an AR15 as an assault weapon but a sporting rifle. Their name for this weapon carries a very negative connotation and makes it easy to dislike for anyone "middle-of-the-road" that is still trying to decide whether guns and supporting the 2A are good or bad.

We won't win at their game. We must play our own. I agree with all said above.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
People Like This 
Old 04-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #9
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 838 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 4453

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
I do think we can help ourselves by NOT falling prey to their ways. We should not refer to an AR15 as an assault weapon but a sporting rifle. Their name for this weapon carries a very negative connotation and makes it easy to dislike for anyone "middle-of-the-road" that is still trying to decide whether guns and supporting the 2A are good or bad.

We won't win at their game. We must play our own. I agree with all said above.
We've been playing our own game, and it's not working.

We need to play theirs, but with a few changes.

Remember the "win the hearts and minds" of the Iraqis? Well, that's what we need to do. We need to win over those in the center that are on the ropes. We need to affect them on an emotional level, but supported with factual evidence. The antis will not be able to counter it.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

People Like This 
Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #10

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
We've been playing our own game, and it's not working.

We need to play theirs, but with a few changes.

Remember the "win the hearts and minds" of the Iraqis? Well, that's what we need to do. We need to win over those in the center that are on the ropes. We need to affect them on an emotional level, but supported with factual evidence. The antis will not be able to counter it.
The antis have been countering it by controlling the MSM. Way more people get their news from the networks vs people like us that use the internet and forums in addition to the networks. Without the MSM there is no way for the facts to effectively reach the masses IMO.

Every chance I get I spread the facts to the fence sitters, but the MSM can reach many more people in 5 minutes than I can in a whole year. We really need a way to overcome this.