"Child endangerment" question... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

"Child endangerment" question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
You're not a dick, and I would have no problem doing this if I knew in fact that it was a threat. Thats the problem with internet. You cannot express nor feel the emotion behind the words to know which direction it is aimed.
True. Down here in redneckland, such a thing would be best sorted out by a face-to-face discussion with the ex-crackhead/potential wannabe government stoolie tyrant.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #22

Liked 380 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I would not worry about it at all. The local paper here in the county which I live has pictures of youth hunters. In those pictures they are over the game animal they took aswell as holding the firearm. Many of these young hunters are 6-10. Tell your cousin to fly a kite.

Thomas

Old 04-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #23

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Don't know what else accompanied the photo in question. Did you just post the photo? Or did you attach to the photo a description of the activity, like you did in your OP here? Seeing only the photo could be triggering your cousin's response.
You might consider attaching the description of the education and training you gave your niece to the photo. Can you edit in fb? I don't know. It might squash any investigation before it got started. The CPS here have enough clear cut cases on their desk as it is without looking into dubious charges.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3691 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Bottom line obviously he is a liberal anti gun flag waiving idiot!
I would not even give him the pleasure of having any contact with me at all. What I am saying is he would be considered no longer a part of my family! That is the problem today is with liberals and the government trying to tell us how to raise our children when they can not even run the US Postal Service if you get my drift!
Anyway, there is absolutely nothing wrong with proper supervision in teaching a young person gun safety and the sport of shooting. I think if more would do that there would be far less problems! My children were started around 4 years old. All 4 of them, three boys and one girl! Not once have I ever had an issue with them either with safety with weapons in general since that time. And due to my profession there were even loaded weapons around the home at all times. The oldest is 45 and the youngest is 28. They are now teaching my grandchildren the safety and enjoyment of the shooting sport. In fact my oldest and his sons are coming to Grandpa's this week end in Tennessee from Indiana to do a little shooting for sure and maybe some small mouth fishing. Even if your sister did not know or approve of the activity which I should hope not, since it is a great thing when Uncles and other family members take the time to properly teach and spend enjoyable time with family members. Since most others do not take the time when they should! And they are "too busy" to spend valuable time with them. That is what is wrong with society today! Anyway even if she did not approve it should simply be a family matter of discussion.
Our society has certainly went down hill. The example I can think of was back in the day if you and a buddy got into a little scrap! And hit each other a few times with no severe injuries we healed up in feelings and a few scratches, mended our relationship and went on with life. But Oh My God! Today, someone wants to file charges and prosecute the childhood scrap. I am not talking about intended malicious battery here. Just kids being kids. But our society is so weak and thin skinned it is pathetic. This goes back to your cousin thinking he is a professional judge of raising other peoples children and controlling their activities. Sounds like he needs to get a life. Oh is his children angels and his life perfect? I bet not!
Enough said! I have addressed the issue enough! Good Luck and let it blow over!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 04-01-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #25

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Frankly, I think he's gotten way too mach play already. He's obviously a self-important, wannabe petty dictator. Have the applicable family members unfriend him and put him on ignore from here on out. If he confronts you later, feel free explain to exactly how absolutely useless he really is. In the meantime, you've wasted entirely too much time and effort on him.
Mild rant:
It's been my opinon (FWIW) that most social workers are the kids everyone picked on in school. They are now in a postion to make everyone else's life miserable. They are one of the more significant symbols of govt overreach. Think about this: before the liberal take over (Think early 60's, Johnson administration), how many people even knew what a social worker was? Now they are everywhere, telling families how the govt wants them to raise their children.
Rant complete.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 04-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #26

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja
Today I decided to teach my 7 year old niece how to shoot, using a "Red Rider" BB gun. I took all safety precautions and even went beyond a bit with safety. Before she even was allowed to fire her first shot, I went over using the safety switch, always leaving the muzzle pointed down range, using her safety equipment.. etc..

Here is where the "endangerment" comes in. After her lesson, I wanted to take a picture of her because she was very proud and wanted to show her mother (my sister). So I had her pose while holding the BB rifle wearing her safety glasses and even hearing protection (no need for them but I want her used to the idea of wearing them for future lessons when she graduates to the Cricket .22lr), the rifle was facing up toward the ceiling and you can clearly see the safety in the "on" position and her finger is nowhere near the trigger. I posted the picture to my sisters Facebook page. Of course theres always that one D-bag that thinks they know better (in this case it is my cousin). He replied to the posting saying "you need to remove this posting or else face child endangerment charges." I say B.S.

He currently works as a social worker for troubled teens. Do you think he is speaking any truth about this situation? I cannot see any legal issues with this. Men have taught their children the use of weapons for hundreds or even thousands of years. Is he really trying to tell me that the Boy Scouts of America have been "endangering" our youth since 1910?

Please, any input would be appreciated.
Man, it's how the anti-ANYTHING crowd furthers their agenda. They make hollow threats to get you questioning yourself, until you capitulate to their demands.

Articulate your position, just as you have done here, and watch the people come to your side. The idea that a child pictured with a RR BB gun would be considered endangerment is absurd.

You have NO IDEA how much things like this infuriate me....and this BULLY would be the first one to cry foul if someone else was doing the bullying.

Typical!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #27

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Call me a dick, but I would notify his supervisors in writing that he was acting outside his jurisdiction and ask them what their agent was doing invading my personal life outside the scope of his state-appointed duties. Is he a social worker in YOUR city or in your sister's city? Was he directed as part of his job to review facebook pages of his relatives for questionable pictures? Was there a complaint that led him to the post?

After that, i would go have a personal and off-the-record chat with dude and let him know that he needs to leave his work at work and not bring it to the family facebook pages. Your sister needs to IMMEDIATELY "unfriend" him on FB to keep him off her page.

Personally, BS like this from wannabe petty tyrant government stoolies is one of MANY reasons i don't have a facebook page and ask relatives to leave me off their pages.
You ARE a dick....and therefore, SO AM I....I don't FB either. For the exact same reasons. Matter of fact, this forum is the only one I'm active with. Great post, gello...

J/k about you bein' a dick tho...

Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #28

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
In the state of Pennsylvania, at age 11 the child can enroll in the PA Hunter Safety Course, and at age 12 hunt with a REAL firearm. See link: http://www.ehow.com/about_6308420_pennsylvania-hunters-safety-courses.html
The age is 10 in Illinois and Wisconsin with our Mentor Hunting programs.

Kudos for you taking the time with your niece.

The Crickett is a good choice for a first rifle, my boys loved it until they out
grew it.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ALso, kudos for teaching your little one properly. What the anti gun whackos fail to realize is that owning weapons and kids is a combination where curiosity can actually kill the cat if unsatisfied and guns are never going away so parents must do the right thing. Kids should always be shown the rights and wrongs about guns when someone has them in the house. I taught my sons to respect firearms at a young age and never had to worry about them trying to get to them to play with them. They are now as younger adults all responsible gun owners and CCW holders. It's the kids that are shielded that are at risk and the ones that have smoke blown up their butts by touchy feely politically correct parents and teachers. When their normal curiosity is unsatisfied combined with irresponsible parents is when they get into trouble. I get the impression that you and your child fall into neither category.

As to whether you could get in hot water legally, I don't see how in any state. If someone got the stones to try, relative or not, they would be hard pressed to get a DA to file against you. First, to get criminal charges to an indictment, there has to be something called a CRIME to have occurred. No such a thing has. Second, there's way too much precedent law of kids learning to shoot at a tender age in this country to even get it in front of a judge, lib or not. Third, I don't think any DA worth his/her salt would take a case like this on for the bad press it'll generate despite the anti gun sentiment of too many in government. I'm quite sure that if it did happen and you called in the NRA, NSSF, etc., they would take full throttle advantage of it to get it out there with the proper spin to your advantage.

I wouldn't worry about this whole crapfest. Unfortunately, like they say.....you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family. And don't take the picture down.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #30

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Agreed on the kudo's. Since you sound like you would rather just avoid dealing with the penis breather, I'd simply remove him from your facebook, as well as have your sister do the same, go to private settings and there is no longer an issue with the moron.