"Child endangerment" question...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > "Child endangerment" question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Child endangerment" question...

Today I decided to teach my 7 year old niece how to shoot, using a "Red Rider" BB gun. I took all safety precautions and even went beyond a bit with safety. Before she even was allowed to fire her first shot, I went over using the safety switch, always leaving the muzzle pointed down range, using her safety equipment.. etc..

Here is where the "endangerment" comes in. After her lesson, I wanted to take a picture of her because she was very proud and wanted to show her mother (my sister). So I had her pose while holding the BB rifle wearing her safety glasses and even hearing protection (no need for them but I want her used to the idea of wearing them for future lessons when she graduates to the Cricket .22lr), the rifle was facing up toward the ceiling and you can clearly see the safety in the "on" position and her finger is nowhere near the trigger. I posted the picture to my sisters Facebook page. Of course theres always that one D-bag that thinks they know better (in this case it is my cousin). He replied to the posting saying "you need to remove this posting or else face child endangerment charges." I say B.S.

He currently works as a social worker for troubled teens. Do you think he is speaking any truth about this situation? I cannot see any legal issues with this. Men have taught their children the use of weapons for hundreds or even thousands of years. Is he really trying to tell me that the Boy Scouts of America have been "endangering" our youth since 1910?

Please, any input would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #2

Liked 2108 Times on 1160 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

I see nothing wrong with what you have done. In fact I aplaud you for teaching safety. But on the other hand, I am always amazed at the stupidity of our government and the people that run it.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #3

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

I would tell him to go @$%! himself and tell him to bring on the charges if he thinks he can make them fly, I would also see to it that he isn't included in any family functions I am attending for fear he may open his mouth and find it filled with my fist. I don't believe his comment is truthful, if this were the case thousands of people would be brought up on charges every year, its a bb gun for christ's sake, kids not much older than her are allowed to hunt with highpowered rifles or shotguns. Maybe the douchebag would rather you just avoid guns completely until she is legal hunting age then throw her a 12 gauge and a box of slugs and say "here figure it out on your own", THAT would be child endangerment. The guy is an asshat.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10385 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

Yep. asshat_by_thundercake.jpg

Teaching one of your children (or, with permission of a parent, someone else's child) the safe use of an air rifle does not constitute child endangerment in any setting I have seen.

Only because I dislike public pissing matches unless they are REALLY necessary, I would advise said asshat privately that he needs to cease attempting to present his personal values as departmental policy, or face charges of abuse of office. Criminal charges.

In the state of Pennsylvania, at age 11 the child can enroll in the PA Hunter Safety Course, and at age 12 hunt with a REAL firearm. See link: http://www.ehow.com/about_6308420_pennsylvania-hunters-safety-courses.html

Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all for the responses. I am glad to see some that feel I have not wronged. Of course I also don't believe we have any nutjob anti-gun libs here either. I am sure there is some out there that would love to rip me apart.

c3, thanks for the link.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8497 Times on 5077 Posts
Likes Given: 11115

I would have not posted that picture on Facebook just to avoid exactly what happened to you. I would have texted the picture to my sister. I like to avoid confrontation at any cost. I'm just a timid rabbit.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I would have not posted that picture on Facebook just to avoid exactly what happened to you. I would have texted the picture to my sister. I like to avoid confrontation at any cost. I'm just a timid rabbit.
I would have preferred to send in a text. Unfortunately my sister has yet to upgrade to a phone with picture receiving capabilities. She still has some scrappy old prepaid phone that doesn't allow media transfer. My Facebook profile is secured to he visible by my friends only and, with only 37 friends, every one of them is a close friend or relative, I never thought this would have been a problem. Not to mention, this cousin of mine signs in to his account maybe once every sixmonths. I never expected anything from him. Everyone that knows me also know my passion for firearms. They all also accept it without criticism.

This guy was once an amazing minor league baseball player that was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies, he met some junkie, began smoking crack, living in the streets, robbing,stealing,etc.. "got his life together", went back to college and received an associates degree, and now he is Mister high and mighty, I'm better than you,my crap doesn't stink, anti-everything douche bag.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Lately countless children have been suspended or expelled from school, and parents arrested for exposing their children to firearms. The liberals have gotten totally out of control over this stuff. Teaching your family how to shoot is a wonderful thing; however, making it public is not a good idea. Use caution with this...

http://www.search-results.com/web?l=dis&o=14897&q=draw+picture+of+gun+expelled+f rom+school&atb=sysid%3D102%3Auid%3De64f837b922a4cc 7%3Auc%3D1333274279%3Aq%3Ddraw+picture+of+gun+expe lled+from+school%3Asrc%3Dieb%3Ao%3D14897

Old 04-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Ask your cousin if he intends to file charges based on the picture if you leave the picture up. Try to get this in writing (like via email). If he says yes, consult with an attorney and see what you can do.

No way, no how is teaching a 7-year-old how to fire a bb gun by observing proper safety rules "endangerment". But being accused of putting a child in harm's way these days is a lot like being accused of witchcraft 350 years ago - it's up to you to prove you're innocent. What you want to make sure of is that your sister doesn't get her child taken away over this while it gets sorted out.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
. . . He replied to the posting saying "you need to remove this posting or else face child endangerment charges." . . .
I’m missing something.

Is your cousin stating he will file endangerment charges against you, or is he warning that someone is likely to file endangerment charges against you. It sounds like his objection isn’t that you’re teaching your niece about firearms, it’s that you put it on fb. I believe only people who don't have access to a fb page would know they couldn't see it. People who do have access, may think it can be seen by anyone.

Not knowing the precautions you took and procedures you taught your niece as you explained to us, it could be a Mandated Reporter is obligated to ring the bell if they only saw the photo. Due to the care you took with your niece I would expect the charge to be 'dismissed', but that would be after the investigation. Also, what I expect and what would happen, aren't the same thing.

Last edited by Vincine; 04-01-2012 at 03:09 PM.