Chicago gun buy back - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Chicago gun buy back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Looks like I hit the bee's nest with this one! I don't agree with chicago's BS politics or the gun program. I don't pay IL taxes.
I guess I'm saying that I'll be proving that these programs don't work because I'll be dropping off junk and going to get something nice. Call it exploitation, call it whatever u want. I don't feel bad. If gangbangers can get a free pass, then I can trade in legit crap and add to the collection!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #12

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

All these guns in a buyback are purchased through an FFL, right?

They call in a criminal background check with each purchase, right?

A transfer fee is paid, correct?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari101 View Post
Looks like I hit the bee's nest with this one! I don't agree with chicago's BS politics or the gun program. I don't pay IL taxes.
I guess I'm saying that I'll be proving that these programs don't work because I'll be dropping off junk and going to get something nice. Call it exploitation, call it whatever u want. I don't feel bad. If gangbangers can get a free pass, then I can trade in legit crap and add to the collection!
It says that the $100 gift cards cannot be used in a gun store. I wonder how they enforce that? Did all of the gun stores in the area sign on to this? Is it on the honor system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
All these guns in a buyback are purchased through an FFL, right?

They call in a criminal background check with each purchase, right?

A transfer fee is paid, correct?
That and as I mentioned earlier, if they don't run the serial numbers and the gun is stolen then they are receiving stolen property. That is not to mention the guy from whom the gun was stolen.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

It says that the $100 gift cards cannot be used in a gun store. I wonder how they enforce that? Did all of the gun stores in the area sign on to this? Is it on the honor system?

That and as I mentioned earlier, if they don't run the serial numbers and the gun is stolen then they are receiving stolen property. That is not to mention the guy from whom the gun was stolen.
I'm sure the money order machine at Walmart will take them and make them into money orders, then spend it however seen necessary. There's always a way around the problem.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari101 View Post
I'm sure the money order machine at Walmart will take them and make them into money orders, then spend it however seen necessary. There's always a way around the problem.
I actually hope that Chicago is naive enough to just tell people they can't buy guns with the card and trust them.

I wonder, can we travel there from out of state to sell our junk guns to the city of Chicago? That would be wonderful! Bring your old scrap guns with a serial number (or not!) and get a Benjamin for each one! Is there a maximum number that one person can sell to them? Or will I need to bring my minor children and maybe hire a bum off the street for $5 to handle the transaction?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

I actually hope that Chicago is naive enough to just tell people they can't buy guns with the card and trust them.

I wonder, can we travel there from out of state to sell our junk guns to the city of Chicago? That would be wonderful! Bring your old scrap guns with a serial number (or not!) and get a Benjamin for each one! Is there a maximum number that one person can sell to them? Or will I need to bring my minor children and maybe hire a bum off the street for $5 to handle the transaction?
It's no questions asked. I'm not confirming or denying that I'll be coming from a neighboring state. I have family in the area so I'll borrow one of their cars as to not arouse suspicion. I currently have 4 but am working on more. From other Chicago events I read about in the past. There are police to make sure people arnt handling them in public. A few people have turned in up to 15. No specifications on the website. If I had that many, I might split them up into a couple sites as to not raise eye brows.
As far as the cc gift cards, I can't imagine that they can restrict them to not be used at gun stores. Maybe you can easily use them at a large sporting store that just happens to sell firearms? Just not Bass Pro!!!! (read my old posts)
Maybe they have a "not to be used for firearms purchase" printed on the front? Who knows? That's the easy part, money orders or most banks will do a cash advance on them with no charges. Possibilities are endless

Old 06-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #17

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I sure wish they would have that $100 buy-back near me!

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #18

I wish I knew about this before last week so I could accumulate more crap to give the CPD. I'll be saving for next years shin dig assuming they don't arrest me at this one. Anyone know if there's a limit on how many personal firearms u can buy &/or sell in a given time period? Probably should pay a visit to the ATF's website 😁

Old 06-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #19

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Where are you guys getting these guns from for less than $100? Seems like even a busted one goes for at least that, not to mention the FFL transfer.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan
Where are you guys getting these guns from for less than $100? Seems like even a busted one goes for at least that, not to mention the FFL transfer.
I posted on armslist and Craigslist (very slyly) that I was looking for rusty, junk, or broken firearms. Got 2 nagants beyond repair, a Schmidt 22 revolver and some other broken revolver that rusted and pitted. Working on a couple of bryco's right now. I'm hoping I can wrap that up by tomorrow cus I'd almost like to keep and re-blue the Schmidt.