Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Chicago abolishes gun register in place since 1968

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7313 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 9422

Default Chicago abolishes gun register in place since 1968

Chicago abolishes gun register in place since 1968

Wed, Sep 11 15:11 PM EDT

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Gun owners in Chicago will no longer be required to register their weapons and obtain a city firearms permit after the City Council on Wednesday voted to eliminate the two provisions, in a victory for gun rights advocates.

Chicago gun owners will still be required to apply for a concealed carry license under a new state law, but the gun registry in place since 1968 will be abolished. Illinois earlier this year became the last state in the nation to permit some form of possession of guns in public.

(Reporting By Renita Young; Editing by Greg McCune)

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1771 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Good for the people of Chicago and hopefully really bad for the criminal class in Chicago!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

People Like This 
Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

It's a step in the right direction.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #4

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Sure the street gangs are going to line up for CCW permits. The citizens of Chicago will be stalled by Red tape for ever. The snakes will continue to dine on the mice.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Sure the street gangs are going to line up for CCW permits. The citizens of Chicago will be stalled by Red tape for ever. The snakes will continue to dine on the mice.
Say what? The way I see it people will be able to legally arm themselves for self defense. The criminals will continue to go about their business as usual, but might start to practice their marksmanship in order to avoid getting shot by a LAC.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
People Like This 
Old 09-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1007 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The gang bangers don't need a CCW. All they need is the cash to purchase an illegal gun.

I don't understand why people try to blur the line between legal guns and illegal guns. The concept is simple. One is a gun purchased by a law abiding citizen for use by law abiding citizens. The other gun is purchased by illegal means by a criminal or someone with criminal intent. Enforce the laws on the books!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The gang bangers don't need a CCW. All they need is the cash to purchase an illegal gun.

I don't understand why people try to blur the line between legal guns and illegal guns. The concept is simple. One is a gun purchased by a law abiding citizen for use by law abiding citizens. The other gun is purchased by illegal means by a criminal or someone with criminal intent. Enforce the laws on the books!
A gun can be legally purchased by a law abiding citizen and subsequently used in a criminal act. That makes it an illegal gun.

Quote:
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #8
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Great News! Now if we could abolish some Federal gun laws from 1968, that would really be cause to rejoice!

Congrats to Colorado for unelecting several gun control politician's.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
A gun can be legally purchased by a law abiding citizen and subsequently used in a criminal act. That makes it an illegal gun.
I think that makes a law abiding citizen a criminal if he uses it in a criminal
act. The gun did nothing illegal. If the gun is stolen or sold to a criminal,
and used in a crime, the gun is not illegal, only the act of the criminal using
the gun is illegal. A hunk of steel and plastic cannot be illegal, only illegally
used or owned.

How many gang bangers are going to be able to legally purchase a gun, let
alone get a permit to carry it? The new laws will, hopefully, give the LAC a
chance to protect himself and family from the criminals who already illegally
own a gun.

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Last edited by etbob9; 09-12-2013 at 05:49 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3575 Times on 2228 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Chicago abolishes gun register in place since 1968

Wed, Sep 11 15:11 PM EDT

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Gun owners in Chicago will no longer be required to register their weapons and obtain a city firearms permit after the City Council on Wednesday voted to eliminate the two provisions, in a victory for gun rights advocates.

Chicago gun owners will still be required to apply for a concealed carry license under a new state law, but the gun registry in place since 1968 will be abolished. Illinois earlier this year became the last state in the nation to permit some form of possession of guns in public.

(Reporting By Renita Young; Editing by Greg McCune)
Good for Chicago. Another victory. I wonder what spurred this on, though?

Always have clean socks.