Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Check this out!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 427 Times on 236 Posts

Default Check this out!!!

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) -- The first change in state law in direct response to Sandy Hook occurred during Wednesday night's special session.

And Thursday lawmakers announced a roster of eight proposed changes in the state's gun laws.

Story continues below

Some state lawmakers are not going to wait to see what happens at the federal level. They want to move ahead on changes early next month.

Less than a week after the atrocity at Sandy Hook, a detailed and extensive package of proposed changes in gun laws has already been announced at the State Capitol.

"A number of years ago, I worked with one of the mothers of one of the victims and I asked her, 'what can I do to help,' and she said, 'I want you to come down and see me,'" said Sen. Beth Bye.

State Senator Beth Bye is the co-author of the proposals.

She is a friend of the mother of six-year-old Ana Grace Marquez-Greene.

"I sat with her mother, with her husband and they said, 'we just want to make sure something happens," Bye said, "and she's particularly concerned about mental health care, as well as gun control."

The proposal would immediately expand the definition of Assault Weapon under current state law to apply to firearms which show one particular physical trait, as opposed to two, like the presence of a pistol grip beneath the action of the weapon.

And despite the fact that there are perhaps thousands of legal handguns in the state with a greater than 10 cartridge magazine capacity, this proposal would prohibit the sale and possession of any magazine with a capacity of over 10.

The proposal would also call for a 50 percent sales tax on all ammunition, permits would be required to purchase ammunition, and the online purchase of ammunition would be prohibited.

Bye also says she is swamped with calls for this from her own district.

"My constituents have been screaming to do something...now," Bye said.

In their special session Wednesday night, lawmakers have already changed the first law in direct response to the Sandy Hook shooting,

It will allow school districts access to state funds for improving school security, using a fund normally used for roads and other town improvements.

"They may well have some needs in the area of school security in particular that they want to address right away," said State Budget Director Ben Barnes, "and if we can give them the flexibility to use those resources in order to get that work done as quickly as possible, it's the least we can do."

This was the last minute idea of Republican State Rep. John Fry of Ridgefield, and the legislative leadership quickly re-wrote a section of the budget mitigation bill passed Wednesday night to get it done.

Copyright © 2012 WTNH TV. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #2

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

See. The anti gun morons are calling and screaming. And look what's happening. All you guys saying give it time. Let them mourn, are going to lose the fight to the callous tactics of the left.
Screw the lawmakers, they're not mourning anymore than any of us. Screw the anti gunners, they're not mourning any more than us.

I hope this serves as a lesson to everyone advocating silence and respect.
Silence gets you drowned out before you decide to speak.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

bluez Likes This 
Old 12-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Any word from the NRA ?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #4

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Any word from the NRA ?
Usually I git around 3 emails from them a day. I have not got one since the shooting. It's kinda starting to worry me.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I'm very interested in the press release they are supposed to do tomorrow, my membership hinges on it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

bluez Likes This 
Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #6

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I do not think the NRA is going to step down on defending the 2nd amendment.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #7

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The voters of Conn. are demanding these new laws. What are the gun owners in Conn. doing to fight their state battles. I have not seen one push back from Conn, gun owners.
There are 4 million NRA members scattered across this nation. How many vote in Conn.? It takes residents of each state to fight new gun laws. The NRA news conference is set for Friday. The Liberals will beat hell out of us.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #8

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
The voters of Conn. are demanding these new laws. What are the gun owners in Conn. doing to fight their state battles. I have not seen one push back from Conn, gun owners.
There are 4 million NRA members scattered across this nation. How many vote in Conn.? It takes residents of each state to fight new gun laws. The NRA news conference is set for Friday. The Liberals will beat hell out of us.
It's not the conn. voters. It's the liberal scream and hissy fit crowd. I've watched it with sadness since I started following politics back in 99ish.
They're always outnumbered, but they scream and cry and tell and march and deficate themselves until they get their way. And every time, the majority stays silent... And loses another battle.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...