Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Change In Career....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Congrats!! I missed your OP... Good luck; you've already got a hand up, seeing you can understand the law.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #42

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207 View Post
I couldn't respect you more. You set an example for all that is good about LEO. I apologize for my generalization.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk
No worries. Let's face it...cops don't have the good PR that firefighters do!

NOT baggin' on FF's and EMT's!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard View Post
Congrats!! I missed your OP... Good luck; you've already got a hand up, seeing you can understand the law.
I don't know how well I understand it! I just went by the ARS book.

No, really, I mean as a cop you have to learn how to apply the law to the enforcement side of it. You do the best you can, and judges are supposed to interpret it. I don't feel I ever "served" the law, I served the community in which I worked, and those who think cops don't serve, just don't know much about what we do. That's even understandable because most folks have interaction with officers during the worst moments of their day, or even their lives.

You never see it when an officer finds a child who has wandered away from mom or dad, and brings that kid home. That rarely if ever makes news. You never see it when an officer kneels on the side of a road with an auto accident victim, holding their guts together while waiting for EMT's to arrive. You never see all the little things that a cop does within his community that may not be huge, but for someone make a huge difference...even if it's just to listen and show someone some "give a ****". You never see it when a cop gives a hungry person his lunch or his lunch money. You never see it when you have to inform next of kin, or another officer's wife that her husband won't be home again. You NEVER see it when a cop goes out into his garage and breaks down and cries from frustration, rage, pain, or whatever, because he isn't ALLOWED to be human in front of anyone.

I am proud of the years I spent wearing my uniform. I HOPE, someday, if I make it through law school, that I will be as proud of that work as I have been of being a cop. I hope I can make that occaisional difference.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #44

Liked 396 Times on 219 Posts

Couldn't agree more. I'm trying to get a full time firefighter job and the first thing they asked me why I wanted to be a full time fireman and not go into law-enforcement full time. Because I'm a reserve deputy in my county and a volunteer fireman too. I told them because "as law-enforcement no matter what someone sees u as jerk but noone is ever mad at a fireman". The interview council laughed and agreed 2 of the guys were police and now fire marshals. But it's true I've worked as both and both are more important than people realize and to be a police officer is usually a thankless job.

let the bullets do the talking!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #45

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
I checked the mail yesterday (Sunday)....I forgot to get it Saturday.

I got my acceptance letter to UofA College Of Law. Yes, that's right....I am going to be the oldest (probably) law student there.

After 23 years wearing a badge...now I am going to go to the dark side and be a barrister.

"Satan is dancing tonight." (NANCY GRACE)

Just kidding, good luck. We could use a few lawyers who actually have a clue about life. Even better if you got to be a judge, but I think becoming a judge means they have to remove half of your brain (?)