Change In Career....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Change In Career....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Change In Career....

I checked the mail yesterday (Sunday)....I forgot to get it Saturday.

I got my acceptance letter to UofA College Of Law. Yes, that's right....I am going to be the oldest (probably) law student there.

After 23 years wearing a badge...now I am going to go to the dark side and be a barrister.

Not to worry though...I will NOT be an ambulance chaser. As of now, my plan is to specialize in firearm law and self defense representation. I will especially NOT work in the public defender's office. Though working as a prosecutor for a year or two has some appeal.

That's three years away, assuming my old brain is still capable of learning anything new.

At least I won't have to work while going to school...the pension checks will continue to roll on in.

Wish me luck all.

(I will set up a paypal account for legal questions...LOL...just kidding)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Finally... FTF will have a resident lawyer! You gonna start charging for legal advice?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Congrats!! Anyone who has the support to keep active after retirement gets the nod from me!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Congrats!! You will have fun.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys.

I was seriously thinking about going back to being a cop with the sheriff's department here. I had the offer on the table from the Sheriff himself...but decided to be a sworn-reserve (get paid a dollar a month) instead, and go back to school.

I can keep teaching defensive handgun, and home defense when I'm not in school.

Funny thing is, I get asked SO many legal questions, and I have to keep reminiding people that I was a cop, not a lawyer so I can only give anecdotal answers, and answers based upon Title 7 and 13, and my own experience enforcing the law. In a few years, I won't have to give that disclaimer. So, I start in January with a semester picking up a couple of classes to prep me a bit better for next fall when I start in earnest.

The nice thing is...as retired LE...and HR218...I have an exemption, and can carry ON CAMPUS!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Congrats. Have fun. It'll be nice knowing that we have a lawyer on our side for once.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

What this country NEEDS is more Gun-Friendly lawyers!

I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

It's good to hear that there will be at least one armed defender on campus!

PS I promise to keep the lawyer jokes to a minimum. - cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #8

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Thats awesome! Your far braver than me !

I was recently wondering when you would write a book, seeing as your such a well-spring of knowledge and information. I think most people enjoy learning more about the LEO perspective on a variety of issues.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #9

Liked 1092 Times on 644 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
I checked the mail yesterday (Sunday)....I forgot to get it Saturday.

I got my acceptance letter to UofA College Of Law. Yes, that's right....I am going to be the oldest (probably) law student there.

After 23 years wearing a badge...now I am going to go to the dark side and be a barrister.

Not to worry though...I will NOT be an ambulance chaser. As of now, my plan is to specialize in firearm law and self defense representation. I will especially NOT work in the public defender's office. Though working as a prosecutor for a year or two has some appeal.

That's three years away, assuming my old brain is still capable of learning anything new.

At least I won't have to work while going to school...the pension checks will continue to roll on in.

Wish me luck all.

(I will set up a paypal account for legal questions...LOL...just kidding)
Your going to serve coffee at Starbucks???

Congrats, I'm sure you will add some integrity and real world expertise to the profession.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #10

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Congratulations and good luck! Call me when you are finished, I have some unpaid parking tickets I want to talk to you about....

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"