Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Change In Career.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/change-career-48842/)

ArizonaLawman 09-26-2011 12:36 PM

Change In Career....

I checked the mail yesterday (Sunday)....I forgot to get it Saturday.

I got my acceptance letter to UofA College Of Law. Yes, that's right....I am going to be the oldest (probably) law student there.

After 23 years wearing a badge...now I am going to go to the dark side and be a barrister.

Not to worry though...I will NOT be an ambulance chaser. As of now, my plan is to specialize in firearm law and self defense representation. I will especially NOT work in the public defender's office. Though working as a prosecutor for a year or two has some appeal.

That's three years away, assuming my old brain is still capable of learning anything new.

At least I won't have to work while going to school...the pension checks will continue to roll on in.

Wish me luck all.

(I will set up a paypal account for legal questions...LOL...just kidding)

trip286 09-26-2011 12:38 PM

Finally... FTF will have a resident lawyer! You gonna start charging for legal advice?

dunerunner 09-26-2011 12:46 PM

Congrats!! Anyone who has the support to keep active after retirement gets the nod from me! http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/images/thumbs_up.gif

BenLuby 09-26-2011 01:12 PM

Congrats!! You will have fun.

ArizonaLawman 09-26-2011 01:14 PM

Thanks guys.

I was seriously thinking about going back to being a cop with the sheriff's department here. I had the offer on the table from the Sheriff himself...but decided to be a sworn-reserve (get paid a dollar a month) instead, and go back to school.

I can keep teaching defensive handgun, and home defense when I'm not in school.

Funny thing is, I get asked SO many legal questions, and I have to keep reminiding people that I was a cop, not a lawyer so I can only give anecdotal answers, and answers based upon Title 7 and 13, and my own experience enforcing the law. In a few years, I won't have to give that disclaimer. So, I start in January with a semester picking up a couple of classes to prep me a bit better for next fall when I start in earnest.

The nice thing is...as retired LE...and HR218...I have an exemption, and can carry ON CAMPUS! :)

texaswoodworker 09-26-2011 01:28 PM

Congrats. Have fun. It'll be nice knowing that we have a lawyer on our side for once. :D

canebrake 09-26-2011 01:31 PM

What this country NEEDS is more Gun-Friendly lawyers!

I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

It's good to hear that there will be at least one armed defender on campus!

PS I promise to keep the lawyer jokes to a minimum. - cane :p

BigByrd47119 09-26-2011 01:58 PM

Thats awesome! Your far braver than me :p!

I was recently wondering when you would write a book, seeing as your such a well-spring of knowledge and information. I think most people enjoy learning more about the LEO perspective on a variety of issues.

Yunus 09-26-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman (Post 587124)
I checked the mail yesterday (Sunday)....I forgot to get it Saturday.

I got my acceptance letter to UofA College Of Law. Yes, that's right....I am going to be the oldest (probably) law student there.

After 23 years wearing a badge...now I am going to go to the dark side and be a barrister.

Not to worry though...I will NOT be an ambulance chaser. As of now, my plan is to specialize in firearm law and self defense representation. I will especially NOT work in the public defender's office. Though working as a prosecutor for a year or two has some appeal.

That's three years away, assuming my old brain is still capable of learning anything new.

At least I won't have to work while going to school...the pension checks will continue to roll on in.

Wish me luck all.

(I will set up a paypal account for legal questions...LOL...just kidding)

Your going to serve coffee at Starbucks??? :rolleyes:

Congrats, I'm sure you will add some integrity and real world expertise to the profession.

gregs887 09-26-2011 02:17 PM

Congratulations and good luck! Call me when you are finished, I have some unpaid parking tickets I want to talk to you about....