CDC Admits Half of Gun Deaths are Suicides

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > CDC Admits Half of Gun Deaths are Suicides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Default CDC Admits Half of Gun Deaths are Suicides

Look what the Enemy Press AP posted today! The Las Vegas ReviewJournal.com posted a story that states the Centers for Disease Control said nearly half of all firearms deaths for the past twenty years were suicides. Sort of deflates the Wild West theme of bloodshed in the streets doesn't it?

So it seems their new tack will be to stop gun sales because of suicide instead of murder. They whine about how Prof. Kleck's methodology was flawed when he stated his research showed a million crimes deterred by civilian gun ownership, while they claimed the DC gun ban brought down the death rate. Good thing Congress had the smarts to take away political funding from the CDC in 1996. They'd still like to push a gun ban, but they don't get money to do that anymore. Maybe they'd be better off going back to preventing disease instead of trying to undermine our constitutional rights.

9x18=Makarov

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I love skewed some of the statements in that article are:

"Public-health researchers have concluded that in homes where guns are present, the likelihood that someone in the home will die from suicide or homicide is much greater."

As scaled against what, exactly? The perfect Normal Rockwell existence, the nuclear family, or just homes without firearms across the board?

So, by that rationale, any person who commits suicide, for whatever reason and by whatever means, gets added to the list IF they have a firearm in their home. Is that one lone incident also added to columns of households with prescribed pain meds on site? Households that have recently suffered a traumatic loss? Households that vote Republican? I mean, C'mon here - how many ways can we take an issue and twist it into what we WANT it to mean?

"More than 90 percent of suicide attempts using guns are successful, while the success rate for jumping from high places was 34 percent. The success rate for drug overdose was 2 percent, the brief said, citing studies."

News flash for you - People that actually want to kill themselves, and aren't crying out for help, are not trying to do it half assed. Their intent is to actually get the job done, presumably, the quickest and easiest way possible, not risking spending the rest of their lives in a hospital bed. They are looking for quick and efficient. Don't fault the design because someone found a new use for it. I really don't think Henry Ford had NASCAR in mind when we sat down to design the Model T.

""If a resident has a handgun in the home that he can use for self-defense, then he has a handgun in the home that he can use to commit suicide or engage in acts of domestic violence," Breyer wrote."

Yeah. And homes with a wet bar and a set of car keys are homes where all members of the family can commit Driving Under the Influence. And homes with single, unmarried people or sexually promiscuous members can spread STD's and bring down the moral fiber of the civilization as a whole...

C'mon.... Don't waste our time putting out "news stories" like this - you aren't doing a service, you are talking out of your rear end....

JD

Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #3

I agree with Dillinger--"What He Said"---( Once again Dillinger has beaten me to the punch )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for,
protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend
our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it
was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

"We The People"
"The Pro Gun Blog"

Old 07-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
C'mon.... Don't waste our time putting out "news stories" like this - you aren't doing a service, you are talking out of your rear end....

JD
Well, we know these stories aren't put out for our benefit. They're put out for those who don't listen, don't know, and don't educate themselves on the facts. Those types who won't stir themselves to find the truth will just parrot what these stories say.

With Heller still shocking them, the anti-gun people must root around like swine for any slop that will try to keep their plans going. Fortunately Congress at least cut off government funding for these "studies" that always seem to say we must be disarmed.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
I agree with Dillinger--"What He Said"---( Once again Dillinger has beaten me to the punch )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which could also be mean that Dillinger needs to get off the computer more and get more done at work.... But what fun would that be? LOL

JD

Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2698 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 216

+100 Dillinger. I don't always agree with you, but I do this time!

Of the other half that aren't suicides, how many are justified homicides? These pin heads at the CDC love to lump lawful police shootings in with "gun violence". They probably added Gary Gilmore's execution in with the stats for that year. Sensless gun crime. Nonsensical gun stats!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
+100 Dillinger. I don't always agree with you, but I do this time!

That I spend too much time here and need to get a different hobby? Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing.

It's cool robo, we don't have to agree to be able to coexist. That's one of the fine things about this great country of ours...

JD

Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Of the other half that aren't suicides, how many are justified homicides? These pin heads at the CDC love to lump lawful police shootings in with "gun violence".
According to the story, "In 2005, homicides accounted for 40 percent of gun deaths. Accidents accounted for 3 percent. The remaining 2 percent included legal killings, such as when police do the shooting, and cases that involve undetermined intent."

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-02-2008, 12:39 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well then, besides including a trigger lock, maybe all gun sales should also include a 90 day supply of Zoloft!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"