ccw question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > ccw question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default ccw question

I just heard from a cop that if I have my ccw on me and I get pulled over with a felon in the car the felon does NOT get in trouble as long as I'm carrying legally. How true is this? I've always heard its pretty much automatic 5 years in jail. I'm in missouri, do have a couple felon friends and one is still on parole.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's your friends' lives in jeopardy, I wouldn't trust any opinions you find on a web site. And given many LEO's lack of knowledge in terms of gun laws, I think you're right not to trust one cop's opinion.

Try contacting the Attorney General for the state. There may also be federal law in play.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

If you have your firearm on your person the convicted felon is supposedly in the clear. If the firearm is in the vehicle and anywhere the felon could have access, the felon is probably going to be playing rock hockey for a few years. Keeping the firearm in a locked box is not good enough if the felon could have access to the key or the combination.

Okay. That's the interpretation of the law I have been given by many LEO's. That does not mean you will (a) encounter a LEO that knows that law, or (b) not have something in your local laws that enhances the federal law. Always know your local laws. It is much better than getting internet info that may not apply to your local area.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #4

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You need new friends.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9395 Times on 4049 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Jim- Big Hairy Disclaimer- I am not a lawyer, and do not know the laws in YOUR state.

Having said that- in general, a felon may not have possession of a firearm. That includes a firearm that is not under the direct, immediate control of another. It does not include a firearm worn by someone else, or secured in such a manner that the felon does not have access to it.

I have an older stepbrother that in his youth had VERY bad judgement, and got a felony conviction out of it. I was a law enforcement officer. Gun in my holster- not problem. Gun left lying in the open in my house while he is visiting- problem. Gun in safe, keys in my pocket, not a problem.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Jim- Big Hairy Disclaimer- I am not a lawyer, and do not know the laws in YOUR state.

Having said that- in general, a felon may not have possession of a firearm. That includes a firearm that is not under the direct, immediate control of another. It does not include a firearm worn by someone else, or secured in such a manner that the felon does not have access to it.

I have an older stepbrother that in his youth had VERY bad judgement, and got a felony conviction out of it. I was a law enforcement officer. Gun in my holster- not problem. Gun left lying in the open in my house while he is visiting- problem. Gun in safe, keys in my pocket, not a problem.
Thank you for the words of wisdom everyone, I'm gonna check Missouri laws to be sure

Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
You need new friends.
People change, grow up...just because someone at one time made a bad decision doesn't mean they're a bad people. I have a female friend for example who got busted selling meth, she has since cleaned up and is a few months from getting her bachelors degree to be a drug counslor. I myself should be a felon as I've had 4 dui's but woke on on nov 28, 2008 and realized I was living a life I didn't wanna live, quit cold turkey and haven't had a sip since. I also know people who are always in and out of jail and don't care enough to make an effort to change but I don't see those people anymore. Point is, you can't always judge people on the past

Last edited by jimogden1984; 04-16-2013 at 06:51 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
People change, grow up...just because someone at one time made a bad decision doesn't mean they're a bad people. I have a female friend for example who got busted selling meth, she has since cleaned up and is a few months from getting her bachelors degree to be a drug counslor. I myself l be a felon as I've had 4 dui's but woke on on nov 28, 2008 and realized I was living a life I didn't wanna live, quit cold turkey and haven't had a sip yet. I also know people who are always in and out of jail and don't care enough to make an effort to change but I don't see those people anymore. Point is, you can't always judge people on the past
You bring up a very good point. I have a friend that managed a business owned by another person. The business was part of a national chain. Without my friends knowledge the franchise owner was cooking the books. When the franchise and the state got through with them they were both convicted felons. A criminal record does not always mean you are now a criminal, nor does it make you a criminal at heart.