Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Carrying in all states (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/carrying-all-states-106742/)

hipoint380 05-04-2014 03:38 PM

Carrying in all states

If everyone disobeys a law what could they do? Put us all in jail.

Why isent there a notional move movement to just have all gun owners carry concealed even if the law says no.

JTJ 05-04-2014 03:48 PM

The government would make examples of some carriers and scare off the others. This is a common practice.

clr8ter 05-04-2014 04:19 PM

Because "Everyone" would get together and say "Yeah, let's DO IT!", and then, most people would go home and not do it.

Franklin1995 05-04-2014 04:29 PM

Most people aren't truly willing to sacrifice themselves for their cause, whether it's their life or just some time in jail. They say they would over beers, but when the time comes they back down.

hipoint380 05-04-2014 04:48 PM

Unfortunate that people in a community have no back bones. I'm not one of them. When the S hits the fan snerio. I guess most of us will be alone while the others are scared S-less.

SSGN_Doc 05-04-2014 05:04 PM

There have been movements to change laws in each state. The reason there has not been a great push for nationwide disobedience on this issue, is partly because of the moves forward in many states. First step is to try to change things using the system that is in place in your state.

Where do you live? There may be a group in your state that is already working on legislative changes.

There are also a couple of states who have taken severe backward steps in in acting gun control that required registration of guns or magazines. The laws were so poorly thought out that they will turn citizens into criminals. Those states do have people who are refusing to comply. This will result in arrests and appeals that will end up having to be reviews in higher courts with regard to the constitution. It will be a long and expensive process.

The fact that carry, whether open or concealed, is regulated on a state level, also makes a national movement less likely. States are allowed to make their own rules on the process, and the how, where, etc. that carry will be done in their state.

A national right to carry would be great. A national permit could suck, because it gives a bit too much power to the central govt to place policies for national denial of permits on situational basis.

If you feel your rights based on the constitution are being infringed within your state, you can consider becoming an activist. This can be done by getting involved in the current govt process of changing laws. You can become a demonstrator. You can ignore the law and be prepared to fight it through the court, while you do some jail time, lose your ability to own a gun at all, and pay lawyers to fight the case to the top for a decade or so. You already asked the question, "what can they do?" Check your state laws and find out what will happen if you are caught in violation of the law. Will you do time? Will you lose your right to own a gun? Will it be a misdemeanor with a fine only?

You can always try to find a lawyer in your state who may be involved in firearms cases.

Just some things you can consider.

manta 05-04-2014 05:12 PM

Because most people are law abiding citizens and they don't want to break the law. I am sure there are lots of other laws that people don't like why not refuse to abide by them as well.

Franklin1995 05-04-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manta (Post 1570048)
Because most people are law abiding citizens and they don't want to break the law. I am sure there are lots of other laws that people don't like why not refuse to abide by them as well.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 05-04-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipoint380 (Post 1570041)
Unfortunate that people in a community have no back bones. I'm not one of them. When the S hits the fan snerio. I guess most of us will be alone while the others are scared S-less.

it's wonderful that you are a mind reader and know what people will, or won't do in a given situation.:rolleyes:

Balota 05-04-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipoint380 (Post 1570041)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1570094)
it's wonderful that you are a mind reader and know what people will, or won't do in a given situation.:rolleyes:

Sadly, HiPoint is right to a large extent.

In the context of this thread, the S will hit the whirligig when law enforcement decides to crack down on people carrying in situations where the law does not allow it. They won't try to search every person in a 10 block area around one person found carrying. They'll just take that person.

If 10 other people who are carrying in the immediate area interfere in the arrest, then the whirligig will start slinging smelly stuff everywhere. But, what HiPoint is saying is that it's much more likely that the other carriers in the area will NOT take action. In that case, the one being arrested will feel very alone and the rest will be scared S-less.