Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Carry at work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Carry at work

I am a REALTOR in South Florida with a full concelled weapons permit. As a realtor i am an independent contractor with the company. I was informed today that i cannot carry my weapon in any of their offices.

When i signed up, there was no mention of this and there was no waiver that i had to sign.

With all the "new" laws, are they allowed to do this?

Looking for answers,
Sidawony
Florida

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4284

How exactly did the topic of guns at work come up? I've worked lots of places and it's never come up...

And yes, an employer can do that, same as a business posting a GFZ sign...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 907 Posts
Likes Given: 532

It is their office but what do you tell a client that is carrying? Good way to lose clients. Find another broker to work for. If you have a contract, a policy change is grounds for breaking the contract.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

People Like This 
Old 10-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #4

Understand, but i would never tell a client, "if you are carrying, i cannot service you"

Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

Was speaking to another agent who also has a concelled weapons permit and i guess another agent overheard us and said something to the broker

Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1708 Times on 891 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Yep it is their right to ban guns on premises. Minnesota (where I live) has a conceal and carry law, but almost every business here "bans gun on premises".

Some mentioned you should find another Realty company to work for/ contract with - would you really feel all that dang "naked" leaving it in the car when you go inside?

Sincerely,

Someone who totally respects your right to conceal and carry, but doesn't understand the need to 24/7

Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #7

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Yep it is their right to ban guns on premises. Minnesota (where I live) has a conceal and carry law, but almost every business here "bans gun on premises".

Some mentioned you should find another Realty company to work for/ contract with - would you really feel all that dang "naked" leaving it in the car when you go inside?

Sincerely,

Someone who totally respects your right to conceal and carry, but doesn't understand the need to 24/7
Perhaps he/she cannot tell which minute out of the 24/7 it might be needed. it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1087 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
because the bad guy somehow always manages to strike at what seems to be the worst possible moment. if you only carried 23/6 .. do you really wanna take that chance?
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1708 Times on 891 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
because the bad guy somehow always manages to strike at what seems to be the worst possible moment. if you only carried 23/6 .. do you really wanna take that chance?
I wonder how many folks with a similar response smoke cigarettes, chew tobacco, or engage in ANY type of high-risk behavior? (that has a MUCH higher chance of killing you than an armed perp will statistically speaking) OOPS I bet the s&$t is gonna hit the fan now! lol

I am not a carry-er. I don't care if someone else is. I just would never change jobs because of it, IMHO that is taking things a little too far. But like I said, I totally respect and support the right......let's hope you never feel you need to unholster

Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

@sidawoney the NRA store sells a bracket for a holster you can mount out of sight. You don't want to accidentally leave the gun in plain sight. Your biggest danger is in the field. You can get any shade tree mechanic to install it.

Steer clear
http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=13&p=SA%2022685

Car seat sentry
http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=13&p=SA%2022672

Holster Mate
http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?p=SA%2022670

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Polygon Likes This