Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Carry in Hazmat vehicle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Red face Carry in Hazmat vehicle

I drive a Propane Tanker, which requires a CDL. I never leave the state of GA. My company has no objection to me carrying a gun in the truck. I have been told by a fellow driver that a DOT enforcement officer said it was ok to carry in a Hazmat vehicle provided you had a carry permit. I have been told by DOT officers that it was illegal to have a weapon in the cab of a Hazmat vehicle. I have tried to contact every agency I could think of to get the written law concerning this, but as usual all I got was the run-around..Do any of you guys know of an agency or a source where I could find something in writting that would remove any doubt? Any comments or info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #2

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I wish I could help you but this is out of my knowledge

Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The How to Comply with Federal HM Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration does not mention "fire arm", firearm, gun or weapon. If there is a law against it, it isn't in the regs.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8323 Times on 3599 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Disclaimer- my legal advice is worth EXACTLY what you are paying for it.

I do not believe you will find a prohibition against firearms in a Commercial vehicle, or a HAZMAT vehicle, anywhere in the FMCS rules. There ARE restrictions against firearms and explosives transporters in the OSHA standards. The restriction on AMMO are referring to ammo being transported as CARGO.

If someone tells you there is, politely thank them, and ask, to further your education, if they can give you the statute that says you cannot.

You will RARELY find laws that tell you what you CAN do. Laws tell you what you cannot do.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #5

There are no firearm restrictions with regards to the FMCSA regulations. You must abide by the state laws with regard to transport or conceal carry. Essentially its the same as if you were in your own personal vehicle. If the state permits it then you are good to go. I can't imagine the GA legislature would make a law specifically for you backwards tanker yanker suicide jockeys.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

"Send any correspondence to:
Georgia Department of Transportation
One Georgia Center
600 West Peachtree NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30308
(404) 631-1990 Main Office
(404) 631-1844 Fax "

Good luck getting a straight answer. As mentioned above, get a citation for the regulation or law from the officer.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Mad Kudos to Pugbro! One post, and an SM!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Last edited by M14sRock; 04-14-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I've driven trucks my entire adult life,and if you ask 10 DOT officers that question,you will get 10 different answers.

THERE ARE NO FEDERAL REGULATIONS THAT SAY YOU CAN'T HAVE A FIREARM IN A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE.

As long as your state,and employer say it is OK,then LEGALLY,you can have it in the vehicle.
But be fore warned,not every LEO knows or has the correct knowledge at the time that they stop you or inspect your vehicle.And you could spend a day at the crossbar hotel,even if you are in the right.