Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Legal and Activism (
-   -   Carry in Hazmat vehicle (

pugbro 04-13-2011 04:29 PM

Carry in Hazmat vehicle
I drive a Propane Tanker, which requires a CDL. I never leave the state of GA. My company has no objection to me carrying a gun in the truck. I have been told by a fellow driver that a DOT enforcement officer said it was ok to carry in a Hazmat vehicle provided you had a carry permit. I have been told by DOT officers that it was illegal to have a weapon in the cab of a Hazmat vehicle. I have tried to contact every agency I could think of to get the written law concerning this, but as usual all I got was the run-around..Do any of you guys know of an agency or a source where I could find something in writting that would remove any doubt? Any comments or info would be appreciated.

opaww 04-13-2011 04:44 PM

I wish I could help you but this is out of my knowledge

bkt 04-13-2011 05:10 PM

The How to Comply with Federal HM Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration does not mention "fire arm", firearm, gun or weapon. If there is a law against it, it isn't in the regs.

c3shooter 04-13-2011 05:11 PM

Disclaimer- my legal advice is worth EXACTLY what you are paying for it.

I do not believe you will find a prohibition against firearms in a Commercial vehicle, or a HAZMAT vehicle, anywhere in the FMCS rules. There ARE restrictions against firearms and explosives transporters in the OSHA standards. The restriction on AMMO are referring to ammo being transported as CARGO.

If someone tells you there is, politely thank them, and ask, to further your education, if they can give you the statute that says you cannot.

You will RARELY find laws that tell you what you CAN do. Laws tell you what you cannot do.

556plinker 04-14-2011 03:03 AM

There are no firearm restrictions with regards to the FMCSA regulations. You must abide by the state laws with regard to transport or conceal carry. Essentially its the same as if you were in your own personal vehicle. If the state permits it then you are good to go. I can't imagine the GA legislature would make a law specifically for you backwards tanker yanker suicide jockeys.

orangello 04-14-2011 06:28 PM

"Send any correspondence to:
Georgia Department of Transportation
One Georgia Center
600 West Peachtree NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30308
(404) 631-1990 Main Office
(404) 631-1844 Fax "

Good luck getting a straight answer. As mentioned above, get a citation for the regulation or law from the officer.

M14sRock 04-14-2011 09:27 PM

Mad Kudos to Pugbro! One post, and an SM!

Txhillbilly 04-15-2011 02:26 AM

I've driven trucks my entire adult life,and if you ask 10 DOT officers that question,you will get 10 different answers.

As long as your state,and employer say it is OK,then LEGALLY,you can have it in the vehicle.
But be fore warned,not every LEO knows or has the correct knowledge at the time that they stop you or inspect your vehicle.And you could spend a day at the crossbar hotel,even if you are in the right.