Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Are Carbines treated like long guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I know in the state of NY, having a long gun does not need a license or anything. I believe that should be fine even if I buy the gun in Ohio or one of it's reciprocal states like Penn.

Also, the only time I am taking it out of my house is to the shooting range and the only time the police will know I have a long gun would be if I stopped or shot a home invasion. Then, I could care less if they cite me for having a long gun.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyeahiknow View Post
I know in the state of NY, having a long gun does not need a license or anything. I believe that should be fine even if I buy the gun in Ohio or one of it's reciprocal states like Penn.
Also, the only time I am taking it out of my house is to the shooting range and the only time the police will know I have a long gun would be if I stopped or shot a home invasion. Then, I could care less if they cite me for having a long gun.
What he heck are you talking about. First of all, you can't buy a gun in another state without having that gun transferred to an FFL in your state. As far as being cited by police for having a gun that you are not in legal possession is a felony...

Where do you get your info or your ideas? I believe that you are being totally honest with this forum as to your age or legal status of even owning a gun.

You smell of troll.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #13

um? a troll? DO you even know what that word means? Why would I be a troll when I am asking legit questions?

Here is the source.

"Any adult resident of Ohio, not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a rifle, shotgun or ammunition in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania or West Virginia.

Any adult resident of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania or West Virginia, not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a rifle, shotgun or ammunition in Ohio. Any such purchase must be for such purposes and under such circumstances as required by federal law. "

Ohio Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Ohio

Old 07-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #14

and the reason I looked up this law was because I couldn't buy a gun in NY with my Ohio driver's license. also because I was thinking of stopping in Penn to buy a gun since I don't want my parents freaking out about me having a gun and they will find out if I bought it in Ohio

Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyeahiknow View Post
and the reason I looked up this law was because I couldn't buy a gun in NY with my Ohio driver's license. also because I was thinking of stopping in Penn to buy a gun since I don't want my parents freaking out about me having a gun and they will find out if I bought it in Ohio
Well, heck, that is different. And, no, I am too stupid to know what the word "troll" means. Enlighten me.

You can purchase long guns in the other states, like the law says. Now here's the kicker, the FFL in those states must be licensed to sell those guns without a transfer to your state of residence being Ohio. I doubt you can walk into a gun store in Eastern PA and buy a long gun with an Ohio ID and walk out of that store with said long gun. Now, in Western PA, it would be a different story. But, living in NY, you need to follow NY laws in regards to possession and transportation.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 07-09-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #16

lol i have no idea what troll means either, I just see so many ppl saying "oh he/she is a troll" on posts where I don't see how that even applies.

So yeah, most likely I will just buy a gun in Ohio and hide it in my suitcase when I leave to go back to college.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #17

Liked 1348 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 1764

Default Carbine vrs. Long gun

You need to go back 100 years,

Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #18

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

I'll try again...the issue is not purchasing a rifle, carbine, etc. You can do that in Ohio as a legal resident or in certain border states as well, I believe. The issue is that you plan to transport the rifle into New York and stay there. Try that in New Jersey and you become a felon. You are permitted to pass through a state as a non-resident in possession of a gun as long as you follow certain requirements, take up temporary residence and you MAY have a problem. I am only suggesting that you know what NY laws are, not simply believe them to be something.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Unless the laws have changed, I have bought long guns with out-of-state ID more than once. As a resident of Tennessee, I bought a shotgun in Alabama. Earlier, as an Alabama resident I bought a few rifles in Tennessee. But, I think the question here is not about legally purchasing the carbine, but about whether or not it was legal to possess it in The Peoples Republic of New York. My advice to the young man is to forget about New York's legal system and protect yourself. Buy the gun legally (because you can) and keep it in a safe and easily accessible (by you) place.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #20

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I understand that the law is the law. And that it must be followed. But I have to ask...who is the idiot that came up with this stuff. Why would the ATF care if someone wanted to put a rifle stock on a pistol? I mean, a gun is a gun. Am I the only one that thinks this is completely stupid?

And yes, I obey the law. All my guns are legal!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.