Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Are Carbines treated like long guns? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/carbines-treated-like-long-guns-28954/)

soyeahiknow 07-03-2010 07:08 PM

Are Carbines treated like long guns?

Hi everyone,

So I am interested in buying a 9mm carbine, and I was wondering if they are looked upon as long guns in the eye of the law. The state laws I am looking at are Ohio (my home state) and New York ( where I go to college, not New York City). Thanks!

billdeserthills 07-03-2010 07:16 PM

Dude, YES
A carbine is still a long gun, just with a shorter barrel

soyeahiknow 07-03-2010 07:18 PM

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure though, since NY has more strict laws that ohio. I am thinking about buying one in Ohio and taking it to NY to keep in my apartment this fall.

CA357 07-03-2010 07:18 PM

I don't know about the States you mention, but it is commonly accepted that a carbine is a shorter rifle. Thus, it's a long gun/rifle.

BTW, welcome here. Please head over to the New Member Introductions forum and introduce yourself to the gang.

willshoum 07-03-2010 08:42 PM

Carbine and Long Guns the same?

I don't think they are, But some one will come along and post the whole thruth about the matter. I luv long Guns.....:)

soyeahiknow 07-09-2010 06:56 PM

bump?? does anyone have a definite answer? and the carbine I am talking about is the Kel-Tec one so it definitely is long enough as a rifle.

General_lee 07-09-2010 07:08 PM

A carbine IS a long gun.
It's NOT a long gun if it only has a pistol grip and no butt stock.

Jpyle 07-09-2010 07:12 PM

Carbines, shotguns and rifles are generally treated as longguns versus handguns. Bear in mind that Ohio and New York law guides the sale, purchase and possession of firearms. A gun you can legally purchase in Ohio may still be illegal to possess in New York. Federal law will protect you while transporting but once you stop travelling beyond a reasonable time you could have a problem.

DrumJunkie 07-09-2010 07:18 PM

Carbines are long guns. You can build a pistol from what would normally be a long gun. Like those AR pistols you see. But I am not sure just how those are dealt with once they are built. It seems that they have to be registered as a pistol and at that point cannot be turned into a rifle or visa-versa. But If I'm right about where I read that I would not believe it to be an absolute truth. It was not on any government page so that info could well be false. It seems though the paperwork done by an FFL and the serial they would keep in their books one could track a weapon that was sold as a long gun and if it where modified to be a pistol they could dig up the original info.

Where I live (Ky.) a carbine is a long gun.

robocop10mm 07-09-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 312558)
Carbines are long guns. You can build a pistol from what would normally be a long gun. Like those AR pistols you see. But I am not sure just how those are dealt with once they are built. It seems that they have to be registered as a pistol and at that point cannot be turned into a rifle or visa-versa. But If I'm right about where I read that I would not believe it to be an absolute truth. It was not on any government page so that info could well be false. It seems though the paperwork done by an FFL and the serial they would keep in their books one could track a weapon that was sold as a long gun and if it where modified to be a pistol they could dig up the original info.

Where I live (Ky.) a carbine is a long gun.

BE VERY CAREFUL HERE!!!!

Once a receiver is completed into a firearm, it must stay in the same category forever (unless you pay NFA taxes).

A completed handgun cannot have a shoulder stock added (W/O the whole NFA route) even if the barrel is over 16".

A completed rifle cannot have a barrel shorter than 16" (W/O the whole NFA route) even if you take off the shoulder stock.

If a receiver is obtained, BRAND NEW, NEVER having been assembled into a complete firearm, it can be completed into either a handgun or a rifle. Some poeple got themselves screwed up some years back by taking Remington 600 receivers and making long range sillhouette pistols out of them (ala XP-100). Remington NEVER sold model 600 receivers, only model 600 rifles. So installing a sub 16" barrel on ANY Remington 600 receiver is a Federal NO NO!