Canadian Gun Rights Activist May Lose Home to Gov't - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Canadian Gun Rights Activist May Lose Home to Gov't

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Exclamation Katey Montague's YouTube Video Page

To see all of Katey Montague's 46 videos on Gun Control and Gun Rights in Canada, see her YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kateysfirearmsfacts#g/u
This is a family well worth fighting for!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #12

Likes Given: 7

What were the charges I've read everything did I just miss what he did to be in trouble.

Murfdog

Life Liberty & the Pursuit of H&Ks
P2000sk 9mm NS Lem
P2000sk .40 sw NS Lem
USPc .45acp NS Lem

Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 AM   #13

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushihunter View Post
Sentencing In Brief

As written in the unofficial Sentencing Report available at BruceMontague.ca - About - Of Freedom and Tyranny, Bruce Montague was sentenced as follows:

For six counts of “storing the two non-restricted firearms in a not unloaded condition” - one year probation

For possession of firearms without a license and his “Deliberate defiance of the law in this respect” - six months imprisonment

For one count of possession of a silenced .22 caliber pistol – 12 months;

For one count of “possession of a prohibited device” – 90 day sentence to be served in the community;

For three counts of “possession of oversize magazines” – 90 day sentence to be served in the community;

For nine counts of “possession of loaded prohibited or restricted firearms or prohibited firearms with ammunition readily accessible” – 12 months;

For three counts of “altering a firearm to fire automatically” - 18 months.

For four counts of “the deliberate defacing or removal of a serial number” – 12 months;

All sentences are to run concurrent, and all probation or suspended sentences commence at the completion of incarceration.

Bruce Montague also has a lifetime firearms prohibition against him.
seems to me that he was WAY IN THE WRONG ON THESE ITEMS ALONE!

taking his family home and the heritage firearms is a bit staunch though.

hell, we have the same laws about serial numbers and converting/altering to a full auto firearm.

3 counts of altering to create automatic fire is a pretty serious offense.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #14

Likes Given: 7

He sounds kind of guilty.Is there something I'm missing, if he broke the law?

Murfdog

Life Liberty & the Pursuit of H&Ks
P2000sk 9mm NS Lem
P2000sk .40 sw NS Lem
USPc .45acp NS Lem

Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Exclamation

Yes, if all you see is the list of charges against him, it does look bad.

Keep in mind that Canadian police do not like citizens to have firearms -any firearms. They will trump up a huge list of charges in the hopes of getting a conviction in the court of public opinion and the law courts.

One reason why Bruce got targeted is because he was a very public opponent of our former Liberal government's C-68 Gun Registration laws brought in against all common sense in 1995 and phased in over 10 years.

They are hammering Bruce and his family as hard as they can as a warning to the rest of us who would defie them.

This inspite of our new Conservative government who wants to rid us of at least the long-gun registry part of the C-68 laws.

For example, Toronto Police have been targeting legitimate gun owners and collectors and confiscating as many guns as they can get their hands on. Some 1,800 gun owners as I recall.

I've 'known' Bruce and his family for many years, even though I have never met them face to face. I have traded emails over the years and support him as much as I am able by getting his story out to the public and other gun owners who might be able to help them.

The Monagues are good people. I would trust them with my life.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Thanks for the additional info. There's lots to go through, but it seems he knowingly broke the laws that pertain to his charges. What I haven't found, yet, is the Canadian constitution and what it says in regard to owning arms and how lesser laws are stepping on the Canadian constitution.

A couple things for our American readers. First, the U.S. Constitution most certainly and explicitly DOES acknowledge we have the right to own and carry arms. Not some arms or specific arms legislators approves of. But any arms suitable for use in a civilian army -- a militia -- which could include just about anything an individual can afford. We have laws that ban some arms and related devices for no reason other than to enrich and empower the government at the expense of the wealth and liberty of the people.

Second, it is absolutely necessary we recognize the difference between something being right or wrong versus what the law says. How many of you would comply with turning your entire gun collection over to the authorities tomorrow if legislation were passed today banning all firearms of every sort? Probably not too many of you. That would make you all criminals; you would be knowingly breaking the law. But you would be doing the right thing in refusing to comply.

I suspect Bruce did the right thing and predictably he got hit hard and made an example of. Hopefully, Canadians will get pissed off and fight back rather than cower in fear. What happened to him can happen to any of us; just because this took place in Canada doesn't mean anything.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #17

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushihunter View Post
To see all of Katey Montague's 46 videos on Gun Control and Gun Rights in Canada, see her YouTube page:

YouTube - kateysfirearmsfacts's Channel

This is a family well worth fighting for!
Yep I saw them last year while crusing youtube and thought they were great

Old 02-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #18

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I entered Canada by ship some years ago. Customs found 2 Concealed Carry Permits in my gear. They held me for 6 Hrs. and was questioned by a Gun Expert from the Mounties. {Gun Expert what a joke} more like Nazi SS. They told me anyone needing such permits could be a danger to the people of Canada. I did not have any arms or ammuntion in my gear. They ask me over and over how many guns I owned. I told thm over and over it was none of there "F###### Biz. They then claimed that I may be a gun smuggler. I ask to speak to the US Consul in Canada. They told me they were sorry and let me go. What a bunch of phoney low life SOBs. I will never again enter the Nazi State of Canada.

DK

Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is a news report on how the Toronto Police view firearms owned by citizens:

Cop project aims to disarm city | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Cop project aims to disarm city

400 guns seized in bid to keep them out of criminal hands

By ROB LAMBERTI, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: September 23, 2009 5:10am

They used to be legal firearms, but now they're either unregistered or outright banned, and they're wanted by police before there's a chance burglars put them in Toronto's underground and underworld markets.

Since March 1, Project Safe City swept 400 unregistered weapons -- 150 of them handguns -- from homes throughout the city. No charges were filed.

It's part of a plan to ensure that neglected firearms don't fall into criminal hands, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said yesterday.

Police are reviewing thousands of gun ownership files to determine which weapons have lapsed registrations and which are now banned, he said.

Owners can surrender the weapons for destruction or, if they can be registered, police will hold them until the owners comply with gun laws, Supt. Greg Getty said.

"We cannot leave those firearms in that person's possession," he said.

Those who "are less vigilant in maintaining proper licensing ... may be equally lax in maintaining the safety and security of their weapons," Blair said.

"Now that there are 400 fewer guns that can be stolen and put into the hands of criminals, I think we've created a safer situation," he said. "This is very much an anti-violence measure."

Of the 510 crime-related firearms seized so far this year, about 30% are stolen locally, with the rest smuggled into the country, he said.

"What we believe is that legal handgun owners are not dangerous individuals, but we know from experience that their firearms can become extremely dangerous when they get into the hands of criminals," Blair said.

"One of the issues that we have become aware of is the confusion among legal gun owners regarding their responsibility" that the weapons they own are properly licensed and maintain registration, he said.

Project Safe City is proactive policing, Getty said.

"This is not an enforcement initiative, this is a crime-prevention initiative," he said. "We have a responsibility to ensure that these firearms are not diverted to the streets of Toronto."

---

GUN FACTS

TORONTO GUN STATISTICS FOR 2009

- Shootings to date: 259

- Persons shot: 135

- Murders: 23

- Seized: 1,576

- Number used in the commission of a crime: 510

- Seized in Project Safe City: 400

n Between Jan. 1 and the end of June, 27 firearms were stolen in 11 thefts, 10 from homes and one from a business. Of those firearms stolen, 16 were handguns, two rifles, three shotguns, three air rifles, two flare or paintball pistols and one replica.

-- Toronto Police

Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Exclamation

Police confiscating guns from lapsed license holders « Totalrecoil

Police confiscating guns from lapsed license holders
By totalrecoil

Toronto police have just put “paid” to the often repeated denial that the Federal Firearms Act – AKA Bill C-68 – would be used to confiscate firearms from legitimate firearm owners.

While drug dealers and gang bangers are prowling the streets of Hogtown, Toronto’s finest are riveted to their computers, looking for gun owners who have allowed their firearm ownership licenses to expire.

What we are now seeing is the natural progression of legislation that was written with the intent to harass and penalize honest gun owners.

Toronto’s gun confiscation program is being sold under the name of Project Safe City

They used to be legal firearms, but now they’re either unregistered or outright banned, and they’re wanted by police before there’s a chance burglars put them in Toronto’s underground and underworld markets.

Since March 1, Project Safe City swept 400 unregistered weapons — 150 of them handguns — from homes throughout the city. No charges were filed.

It’s part of a plan to ensure that neglected firearms don’t fall into criminal hands, Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said yesterday.

Police are reviewing thousands of gun ownership files to determine which weapons have lapsed registrations and which are now banned, he said.

Owners can surrender the weapons for destruction or, if they can be registered, police will hold them until the owners comply with gun laws, Supt. Greg Getty said.

In good faith, Canadian gun owners complied with the new federal law to license themselves in order to legally own those firearms that they had freely held, in some cases for generations. They also complied with the new law to register their existing firearms, so the government and the police would have a detailed list of everything that they owned.

What many and probably most gun owners did not recognize was that they now owned their firearms conditionally at the whim of the politicians and the bureaucrats. And if they inadvertently or through some misunderstanding, at the end of the license’s expiry date failed to renew the paperwork, they became instant criminals in possession of illegal firearms who could be criminally charged and have their firearms confiscated.

This is what the Toronto gun owners have experienced – police officers at their doors telling them that they have illegal firearms in their homes. Illegal, not because of misuse by their owners or by the fact that these people are a danger to the public, but because their paperwork has expired.

Toronto police superintendent Greg Getty arrogantly says that the individuals who had their guns confiscated agreed to their destruction because the “didn’t want them”. It would be interesting to know just how they were approached.

I can only imagine the intimidation factor when you find a couple of police officers on your doorstep telling you that you are the holder of illegal firearms which they are there to confiscate.

It would seem obvious that those officers continued into the house to personally collect those guns as the police were eager to inform the media that some of these guns were illegally stored. Police being police, I can’t imagine them letting the gun owner go off by him/herself and bring the gun back to the officer at the front door. No, they would want to be taken to where the firearm was located and retrieve it themselves. And if it wasn’t “safely stored” under their definition I am sure they would have pointed out to the hapless citizen that they were in breech of the law on that account.

I would also be surprised if they explained to the person that under the terms of the government amnesty they were protected against prosecution and could in fact renew their Possession Only License (POL) very simply and at no cost and would not have to go through the much more onerous process of obtaining a Possession and Acquisition License (PAL).

After all, the real intent of these raids was to confiscate and destroy the firearms they found, - if at all possible – not to return them to their owners. Because, in the view of the police and their political masters, these firearms were a danger to the public just by being there, and it was just a convenience that the owners, by allowing their licenses to lapse, made that possible.