Can u have a serial # put back on a firearm - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Can u have a serial # put back on a firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Viking Dad brings up a good point about "Transfer Paperwork." We, civilians, do not have access to call the police no. to have background checks done on serial numbers or people.

"I" am responsible for insuring the person I am selling to can legally accept the item in question. This has been a boon for gunshops because people are selling to them to avoid the paperwork.

Note: The law does not say I have to use a gunshop as a middleman but I am held accountable if I sell to unauthorized personel.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #42

Liked 103 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Bill we heard you. Close only counts in Horse shoes and Hand grenades. You need to read the 1968 Federal Gun Laws to get a complete understanding.
I have a pretty complete understanding. My reading comprehension is pretty good. As I said before, I have dealt with BATF on exactly this same issue. I happen to know from experience that I am correct. Can you say that?

Old 02-13-2014, 11:30 PM   #43

Liked 30 Times on 16 Posts

My friends mother had the police pick up the firearm. I don't know much more than that, with the family still grieving I didn't want to play 20 questions. I will talk to his brother this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #44
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
If Robocop isn't right about that his advice is what I would follow. I would never risk getting caught with a firearm that has been altered in that way. Period.

On the other hand, if I lived in a state where FTF transfers are legal I might take the precaution of checking the serial number of a firearm that I am interested in buying before I buy. Wold the local PD do this for you? (please note that I am in CA where FTF transfers are not legal, we must do all transfers through an FFL with the DROS and 10 day waiting period in all cases).
Not only do I have a list with S\Ns (for all manufactured after 1968, or any that have one) of all of the firearms I own, I also keep records of all private transfers to or from me along with ID for the seller\buyer. I firmly believe it is one's responsebility to cover one's own azz. Since the Unsafe Act was passed, I no longer can or will do a private transfer, period. Once I move out of NY, that may change, but I will still continue to check SNs and keep records with a copy of ID of the other party. I have passed up some damn fine long guns (pistols were handled by the county clerk, and with possesion permits the only way to transfer was between permit holders) over the years due to folks not wanting to be included in these records. No skin off my azz, and their choice.

Here's a link to a site to quick check SNs. http://www.hotgunz.com/

As to the OP: First off, my condolences on the loss of your friend, to both you and his family. The aftermath of a suicide is a rough thing to deal with.

Turning in the pistol to LE was the best option in this case. Had it been a rare collector's piece, I would have suggested contacting the ATF, and seeing what your options were, but that was not the case.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?