Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Can someone recommend an attorney?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 138 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Default Can someone recommend an attorney?

Ok, so my mom just filled out all the info for her foid card and ill be doing the same. I want to own guns , my step dad wants to own guns and so does my mom. Heres the issue my step dad committed a class x felony over 20 years ago and hes not sure what he needs to do to be able to own guns. He was told when he was released from jail that he would get a minimum of 15 years for possessing a gun so we need a attorney to help us out. I think its unconstitutional for him to not be allowed to own a gun in the first place. Even if he was a felon he still should not have his rights taken , the second amendment is kind of like all or nothing. He used to be an alcoholic but he went to AA meetings and now he has not had a drink in over 6 years. He now has a kid(about to turn one) and is a good person so I think he should be able to own firearms. So can someone please recommend a GREAT attorney? We live in Illinois.
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6148 Times on 3729 Posts
Likes Given: 7024

I don't believe that's a battle you'll be able to win. A felon is not allowed to own guns ever again. I don't think there's any wiggle room with that. A lawyer isn't going to be able to change the laws to allow your StepDad to own a firearm. I'm not even sure of the legality of you or your Mom owning a firearm with a felon living in the house. Let me know if you hear anything differently.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6544 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I don't believe that's a battle you'll be able to win. A felon is not allowed to own guns ever again. I don't think there's any wiggle room with that. A lawyer isn't going to be able to change the laws to allow your StepDad to own a firearm. I'm not even sure of the legality of you or your Mom owning a firearm with a felon living in the house. Let me know if you hear anything differently.
I think it depends on if it was a state felony, or a federal felony. Can't you take a state felony to court? I think a federal felony is set in stone though.

If you do go to court, I wouldn't mention anything about guns unless your lawyer says to.

As for you or your mom owning one. You can own one, but it CANNOT be in the same house as your stepfather. Even if they are locked up, they would still consider him to be in possession of them.

Good luck.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think your best bet is to get the conviction removed from his record. I know it can and has been done. You will need a Lawyer to help with that.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #5

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

contact your local NRA rep, maybe they can help or at least recommend a NRA supportive lawyer in your area

try here as well - http://nradefensefund.org/

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 08-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I seriously doubt that Illinios has a law like this. As I scanned the article it mentioned TN and 16 other states. Relocating a possibility?

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/224207/2/TN-law-allows-some-felons-a-second-chance

NEVER FORGET

Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16990 Times on 9837 Posts
Likes Given: 44240

whether it can be expunged from his record or not is a job for an attorney for sure. lot of it will depend on the felony that was commited. as you said something about AA, was it a felony DWI? some felonies can be expunged and overturned which will restore a persons right to own and possess a firearm. getting a good attorney is the first step, and find one who understands what you are trying to get done and does it properly.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #8

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Whoops. Didn't fully read.

It depends largely on the kind of felony. State, federal etc. And what crime was actually committed.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Last edited by gmaster456; 08-18-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #9

Liked 138 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 170

nope, it was drug charges...

Old 08-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #10

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2007/06/progun_attorney.php

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello