Can someone explain this to me please - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Can someone explain this to me please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

As said, if you can contact the FFL that did the original NICS check he can look up the transaction ID number. But, since it was that long ago don't count on much cooperation because we (FFLs) are required to give it to you on the spot. I don't remember seeing anything about having to produce it again after three years... With that you can appeal. It may be easier to simply try to purchase a gun again and if you again get rejected get that transaction number.

I think you will find that the cause for denial is the conviction where you received 3 years probation. The first offender act will erase it from the state records but not from the feds records. You will likely have to wait until 5 years past the date of completion of your probation. Around 2013 if I get your timeline correct.

Owner, operator, sales manager, and only salesman for:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
and I also sweep out the place.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #32

Ahhh. Can you explain how that works with the first offenders act thing? All I was ever told is that it would erase my record. The guy I tried to buy the gun from was at the local hardware/gun store so he may still have it I tried buying it back in February it can't hurt to ask him.I completed the probation in 2007 because the judge told me if I got it paid off before 2008 he would let me off.I paid it off in 2007 because I was in trucking school and it would have hampered me getting work.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Ahhh. Can you explain how that works with the first offenders act thing? All I was ever told is that it would erase my record. The guy I tried to buy the gun from was at the local hardware/gun store so he may still have it I tried buying it back in February it can't hurt to ask him.I completed the probation in 2007 because the judge told me if I got it paid off before 2008 he would let me off.I paid it off in 2007 because I was in trucking school and it would have hampered me getting work.
It is a simple matter of the local LEOs sending the records to the feds. When the judge then declared you had completed the probation and ordered you record expunged he can only order the state to do that. His ruling has no effect on your FBI file.

It will not hurt anything to try purchasing a gun again, but I think it will be 5 years after the date in 2007 until you will be able to. At least you can get a current TIN to start the appeal or get the information you need.

Owner, operator, sales manager, and only salesman for:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
and I also sweep out the place.