Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Can someone explain this to me please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

LONE WOLF, the ffl that did your background check should supply you with a phone no. you can call that will explain the reason for your denial. its probably your previous domestic violence charge whether found guilty or not.

as for your criminal record, your local couthouse, register of deeds can supply that upon your in person request.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #22

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

For a quick and easy look at what the law enforcement folks see, try stopping into your friendly county Sheriff's office and ask them to run your SSN. See if they will give you a print out of your record and see what is still there. That is something you can take to the DA's office or legal aid should (as Glasshart suggested) there be stuff on there that is not expunged yet.

Don't do this if you have outstanding warrants. Also, on the form you filled out when attempting to purchase the shotty, did you check 'yes' for the Domestic Violence question?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
For a quick and easy look at what the law enforcement folks see, try stopping into your friendly county Sheriff's office and ask them to run your SSN. See if they will give you a print out of your record and see what is still there. That is something you can take to the DA's office or legal aid should (as Glasshart suggested) there be stuff on there that is not expunged yet.

Don't do this if you have outstanding warrants. Also, on the form you filled out when attempting to purchase the shotty, did you check 'yes' for the Domestic Violence question?
I don't remember the question on it but if it was there then I picked no because the asst d.a had dropped the charges against both of us by then.Maybe there is a certain amount of time that has to lapse I am hoping that's what it is.I don't have any warrants I am usually a good guy so I guess I can run by there and ask them.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #24

OK I called the court house she said the detention center does it so called them and it is 7$ to get a copy of my arrest record. Hopefully nothing on there is bad enough to warrant me not being allowed to own a gun.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #25

I was just thinking of something. Do I need to get a background check or my arrest record? I know what I have been arrested for but I need to know what is on my record for good right?I have been arrested for traffic ticket warrant and small crap like that before the 2 big ones were the DV and the Criminal Damage to property. 1 was dropped the other I plead guilty and took probation and etc. I got paper work from the probation office when I paid my restitution I may need to look at it again but im pretty sure my rights were restored. Even when I was on probation I was still allowed to vote and I still am I thought that your right to vote was taken away when convicted or plead guilty to a felony?

Old 09-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 192 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 623

Default What state are you in?

It makes a big difference. In Calif they also look at your fingerprint record.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #27

I am in Georgia.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Lone Wolf, what is your State of residence? You should be able to contact Legal Aid or the State Bar Association to find a free or cheap Attorney, based on your income.

America: Love it and protect it or leave it!
In God I Trust
I Support Arizona

Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #29

I live in Georgia. The only 2 things I can come up with are even though its erased from my record if it is. They are using that to deny me because I was looking at more than a year in prison for the crime. Or the DV crap it was only dropped 1 month before I tried to get the gun and DFCS had us under investigation still doing their witch hunt.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default can someone explain this to me please

Lone Wolf, I really feel that you are going to have to get an Attorney to get this handled properly. Again, I would suggest Legal Aid or the State Bar Association for help. Good Luck.

America: Love it and protect it or leave it!
In God I Trust
I Support Arizona