Can someone explain this to me please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Can someone explain this to me please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can someone explain this to me please

Please before you answer just don't start criticizing me I know the choices I made were stupid and I have learned from them thank you.

In 2005 I was arrested for criminal damage to property and was given 3 years probation,restitution and first offenders act. I completed it all in less than 3 years and was let off. In November of 2009 me and my wife were arrested for trumped up domestic violence charges against each other among other charges all of which were dropped in January by the asst D.A once she got our side of the story and saw the cops were overzealous. Of course DFCS got involved and are still involved with their witch hunt. In February of this year I tried to buy a shotgun for home protection guy runs background check and I get denied he can't tell me why because he doesn't know. So my question is 1. Is there some reason I wasn't able to get the gun? The first offenders act was supposed to erase my record. 2. How can I find out what if anything is on my record. I have a feeling since we had DV charges against us 2 months previous that it has something to do with me not being able to get the gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Please before you answer just don't start criticizing me I know the choices I made were stupid and I have learned from them thank you.

In 2005 I was arrested for criminal damage to property and was given 3 years probation,restitution and first offenders act. I completed it all in less than 3 years and was let off. In November of 2009 me and my wife were arrested for trumped up domestic violence charges against each other among other charges all of which were dropped in January by the asst D.A once she got our side of the story and saw the cops were overzealous. Of course DFCS got involved and are still involved with their witch hunt. In February of this year I tried to buy a shotgun for home protection guy runs background check and I get denied he can't tell me why because he doesn't know. So my question is 1. Is there some reason I wasn't able to get the gun? The first offenders act was supposed to erase my record. 2. How can I find out what if anything is on my record. I have a feeling since we had DV charges against us 2 months previous that it has something to do with me not being able to get the gun.
No one here is a practicing attorney. Your best bet would be to contact an attorney in your County that can get access to the NCIS records and appeal on your behalf.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #3

Can I get those kind of records my self? The guy told me to call the FBI and ask them to send me a paper I can take to the sheriff here and get them to send my fingerprints back to the FBI and they can tell me why I can't get a gun. I can't afford a lawyer really so that is why I came to ask here.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Yes, you can go that route. It could be that your record shows an open charge (Hello, Mr. Fugitive-from-Justice) or something related to Domestic Vioence. The guy at the gun shop will not have any idea- they get approved-delayed-denied ONLY. Now, once you GET that record, you may need that lawyer. Not much money? Check with your state bar association about free/ cheap legal aid.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Before anyone types out some response in the first 30 seconds after reading this thread, PLEASE let it simmer before hitting <ENTER>. Don't be that guy, we are better than that.

Lone_Wolf - Welcome to the Forum. Usually someone asks the new guys to stop by the Introduction Section and tell us a little about yourself.

You definitely have a need to see your current police record. I don't know how to go about that without putting yourself at the mercy of the cops that seem to have been a problem.

We have a few current and former LEO's here, so I am hoping one of them will stop by to help you with this issue.

Good luck -

JD

Old 09-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #6

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. How do I go about asking for my record? Anyone know that? I would assume I could just ask for it since it is my record lol

Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah you really need to talk to an attorney. There is not much we can tell you about that kinda stuff. I hope all goes well and everything gets worked out for you guys and your children.

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #8

Thanks. I guess I will be calling around tomorrow or searching on how to get my record. The wife and I have worked everything out but as anyone who has dealt with DFCS know's they are scum and try to make your life hell.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I believe a citizen can submit in writing to the BATFE and get the reason you were "denied". I believe this is free, but it would probably take awhile to get the answer.

I don't know if you can find out at the local cop shop, they are your records, but that is a question for one of the LEO's.

I will hit up a couple of them for you and see if I can get them in here.

JD

Old 09-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Lone they can be very aggravating but just hang in there be strong and let them get their job done and everything will be o.k. While they are doing that you can work on contacting an attorney or getting your records for yourself so you can legally get a firearm. That will keep you busy so they don't bother you as much. Have a good one

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered