can I use USPS to return a .22 rifle for repairs?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > can I use USPS to return a .22 rifle for repairs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default can I use USPS to return a .22 rifle for repairs?

I gifted a .22 Mossberg Plinkster to my son in law and when he got evicted from his apt., the Sherriff deputy asked if he had any guns and he said "yes, in the bdrm closet." They immediately tackled him in front of the Grandkids, went to the gun and stuck a tool into the action and snapped of the ejection/extractor and buggered it up pretty good. I called the Dept. and they will do NOTHING ABOUT IT!
Maverick Arms told me to mail it in and they would repair it at no charge. I have it boxed and ready and the lady at the post office said I needed to see the Post-Master to ask him about it.
So, it still sits here, since I have trouble meeting HIS schedule. Can I just mail it? It does NOT say "Gun, weapon, or anything on the outside. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, you can. See http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-usps for information in regards to unlicensed persons (read non FFL holders). If Maverick Arms is licensed you're OK. When you present it at the USPS counter honestly answer no to the standard question of "is there anything liquid, hazardous, or perishable in the package". If they're nosy (shouldn't be) the box contains sporting goods. Send using priority mail with a tracking number. Insure at your discretion. Like you said, use plain jane cardboard box with indication of its contents.

Last edited by FFL01user; 03-10-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9132 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

FFL01 is absolutely correct. If you go to the USPS Domestic Mail manual, it is under restricted mailings. You CAN mail a rifle or shotgun (make SURE it is unloaded)

Only an 01 Dealer or Manufacturer can mail a HANDGUN is US Mail. Not even us lowly 03 FFLs can do that.

PS- I am so happy I live in a rural area, small post office. When I moved here, went down to the PO, introduced self to Postmaster, explained I was collector, and would be mailing/ recieving rifles and shotguns. She smiled, said "No problem- we got about 6 of you guys."

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #4

That is Great News! TY ! Now I can finally get around to it.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #5

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

that sheriff's department should be sued for pullin crap like that.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2831 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 251

SIL needs to send a demand letter to the agency. Send it certified mail. Demand they pay for the damages.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #7

Sorry Guys, Around here, WE DON"T demand ANYTHING from the LE agencies. It just gets them riled up. (reads as Buford T. Pusser-types) I am clearly on my own as far as this Rifle repair goes.
Maverick Arms will get it taken care of free, so, it will all be ok in the end.
It would be nice if it FELT like L.E.O.'s were "on our side" around here for a change.
Thanks for the link to the Post Office rules!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #8

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

they may quit acting that way if they get put in their place once in awhile, intentionally destroying your property is wrong, I would attempt to make a fuss about it just so it doesn't happen to the next guy who maybe won't be able to get it fixed for free or maybe its a rifle thats been in the family for 80 years and some prick intentionally breaks it, that would p**s me off beyond belief

Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #9

oh yes, Pi**ed is an understatement. It only got worse when I did try to call because they also stole the magazine and kept it. They said," We haven't heard anything about it". They don't want to look up which officers were present at the eviction.
SIL(removed) is a Dipshist anyways and I will kick his arse if I EVER see him again. Loser never took care of his 3 kids and then left and took the car. anyways, too personal to go further. I will go about doing it alone. as usual.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #10

I would talk to an attorney about my 4th amendment if it were me, but I don't know all the facts and it could have been justified.